What's new

Tipping in restaurants (1 Viewer)

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
So if you are buying a round and you get 5 beer, yeah i think its pretty damn cheap to elave a dollar tip, thats like 20 cents tip if you had gone up and bought one beer for yourself and each of your friends had done the same.
Well considering for a beer all the bartender is doing is pulling a lever or popping a top I think you are lucky to get the $1 for a round of beers. Probably most of the orders are single drinks with the majority of people just popping down a dollar per drink makes the night pull in quite a lot of money for the bartender.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
to anybody who thinks that a tip is a must, here's a tip for you: "a tip is a bonus and you'll get a bonus if you do something above and beyond what you're supposed to do"

Do I expect a bonus from my client when I've done nothing more than what needs to be done in my job description? no!

if it is my job to serve you food, unless I give you a great service, I will NOT expect for any tip.

oh, just in case anybody is wondering, I used to be a waiter too.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Of course there is no hard and fast rule, personally i will only complain when you get *insert expletive* cheap people who take back the 15 cents on their 1.85 beer...... aparently these people have figured out that after 13 beer they will then ahve enough for another beer..... where do these people come from?
I don't know... Same place as the people who think they're entitled to not only an automatic tip, but also to decide just how big a tip?

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Ricardo, just to be clear i was referring to the people who leave no tip.

As I have said before in this thread i will always leave some tip, unless the service is absolutely horrendus.

that being said whether people like it or not there are a number of things that separate bars from resturants. one the barstaff HAS to put up with drunk people and all that entailsit resturants this is not nearly so common. Please correct me if im wrong but on a busy night ina resturnat a waiter might ahve what 20 tables? on a busy night in th bar i work at there will be about 800 people to be served by 4 bartenders. it is physically impossible to get fast service for everyone there, so whether you like it or not due t the volume of customer in a bar as opposed to a resturant you tip to get good service. I have had customers start drinking early in the ight when there are not many people around, they get served as soon as they come up to the bar, and even in many case i will make an effort to remember the 5 or 6 different brands of beer they are buying every round, and what happens they leave no tip at all. fast forward to later in the night those same people from earlier are still drinkign but now there are lineups to get served, I wont skip over them when serving people, but they will get served in the order that they came. but you can bet that the rare customer who say left a 5 dollar tip when they bought their 30 dollar round of drinks, they will be remembered and served as soon as they get near the bar, I dont care if there were 5 or 6 people waiting at the bar before them.

again this may seem harsh, but its reality in most bars ive been in, if you dont tip or just leave a normal tip your getting served as normal, if you leave what is considered a good tip in that bar odds are you will get served much faster than everyone else.

you tip for good service in a resturant, you tip to GET good service in a bar.

Tipping is not manditory, but i know personally if i cant afford to leave a tip, i stay home, whether its a bar or resturant.

P.S as a side note i knwo in many bars they will give you an excessive ammount of small change to encourage tipping, this is somethign i never do, if i have to give someone small change because im out of some bills or larger change i always appologize for the inconveience. and the only time ive had that happen to me, the drink was 3.50, i handed the girl a 5 and I only waited for my changed cause i needed one of the quarters to make a call, i was going to leave the other 1.25, until she handed me 6 quarters, i could see loonies in her cash so i knew it was to get a bigger tip form me, she got nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks