What's new

Time Traveler's Wife gets the movie Treatment from Van Sant (1 Viewer)

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
From Sci Fi Wire. Good book but can it be adapted to a movie successfully?

Director Gus Van Sant told SCI FI Wire that his next movie, a big-screen adaptation of Audrey Niffenegger's best-seller, The Time Traveler's Wife, will focus on the central relationship. "Telling the story is very hard, too, but it's the chemistry with a film [that matters most]," Van Sant (Psycho, Finding Forrester) said in an interview. "You can tell with ones that don't work. They're doomed from the start. You can just tell. And that's just interpreting chemistry, which is scary but a challenge."

Time Traveler's Wife is loosely based on the Odyssey and centers on the relationship between a woman and a man with a time-traveling gene that enables him to leapfrog to different periods in her life. "I think it's a really nice book, and it's a departure from what I've been doing recently," Van Sant said while promoting his latest film, the drama Last Days.

Van Sant said that he was intrigued by the central relationship in Niffenegger's novel. "I find the diagram of their relationship is really nice and well done," he said. "And if I can pull it off it'd be really nice, because it's hard to do. It's hard to cast, because, in some ways, I think, a love story is ... it's almost like, when you see the two people on screen, it's already happened. They're there. And that's the hard part, to get there already."

Jeremy Leven (Creator) has adapted the novel into a screenplay; New Line Cinema will finance it, with an eye to a 2006 release.

Abby_B

Supporting Actor
I adored this book and hope that the movie can capture its magic. I think a lot will rely on the cast and Van Sant's vision...though I guess what movie doesn't rely on the cast and director? :)

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Definitely a difficult book to adapt as he jumps around in several times not just one.
They are going to have some really good chemistry and hopefully not cast it too young?
Rachel McAdams is hot now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks