What's new

Time to get a receiver to match my new speakers (1 Viewer)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I agree that he is not trying to say that a Sony will perform as good as Krell, but he does seem to be saying that if used in a pre-pro fashion, they will sound the same with the same amplification, and I simply do not agree with that.

Two different $5k amps probably will sound more similar than not, but I think there are two different sets of people who buy in that price range: those who know exactly what they are buying, and those who take someone's recommendation and would not know the difference.

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
I've had HK receivers and Yamaha reveiver - they sound different and distinct from one another. While HKs are awesome receivers, I prefer the detailed ("bright", if you will) sound of the Yamahas.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I will put up a recommendation for an NAD T763.

For the longest time my local dealer www.yawaonline.com - they sell online too - would let me audition speakers before buying. They have NHT, used to have Energy (I bought my C6s there) and now carry the MB Quart brand (they have others too).

I would buy speakers based on how they sounded in the showroom but was never able to duplicate that power, depth and feeling at home. I was still happy with the speakers (just bought MB Quart QLS-1030 mains and relegated the C6s to the bedroom), just didn't get that oomph and clarity that I got at Yawa's showroom. I chalked it up to maybe their set up, sound room material, etc. Maybe even they were using what I thought at the time were "high end amps" while all I had was a Sony STR-DA555ES receiver at home.

Well last year I finally upgraded to an NAD T762 and was astounded by the difference I heard at home over my 555ES. It has brought my C6s and 1030s to life! Now I finally understand why Yawa was getting a sound from them that I could not. I will admit prior to last year I really hadn't heard of NAD and had a misconception that they were high-end only (I have a modest salary). I've heard the T763 is just the T762 with the kinks worked out (the T762 was a revolutionary step from the 761 and there were a few bugs).

Also, if you contact Yawa directly, they'll work out a deal with you. As authorized dealers, they can't post below MSRP/MAP on their website, but send them an email or call them for a great price and a sale from an authorized dealer (if that matters to you).

Since I go to their store, I can vouch for them (the manager, David, is a class act) wholeheartedly! :emoji_thumbsup:

Good luck on your purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks