What's new

Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland (1 Viewer)

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member

This will be their SEVENTH (Edward Scissorhands, Ed Wood, Sleepy Hollow, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Corpse Bride, Sweeney Todd and now Alice in Wonderland)! Would that be a record for director/actor collaboration or does Scorsese beat that with DeNiro/Di Caprio?

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member

At least he's given something completely different to each of those roles though. He's never been the same twice.

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter

Off the top of my head, I'm sure these pairs had more than seven: Ford/Wayne, Kurosawa/Mifune, Kurosawa/Shimura, Allen/Farrow.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Years ago I would have felt confidence with Burton taking on my favorite story of all time...not now. Hopefully he can at least give us a Sleepy Hallow this time and not a Charlie & the Chocolate Factory.

I'm liking the casting so far!

Depp should be good in that role. In fact, Sparrow isnt my favorite character of his by a long shot, but the Sparrow thing might just work good for Hatter. Just play it a little more energetic and manic.

The look of Alice is great! Very happy with the look of that actress. My favorite Alice was Fullerton from the '72 musical version but she was a little too thin and her face not animated enough. The actress from the Hallmark miniseries had a wonderfully animated face and looked a lot like the old illustrations. But looking at this actress Im happy the most important role is filled...at least in look. Can she act?

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
My gosh, yes, she can act. She played one of the patients in the HBO series In Treatment - a teenage gymnast who may have attempted suicide. It was an extremely challenging role, in a show that basically required her to sit in a room and acting purely through dialogue with Gabriel Byrne, and she held her own brilliantly. (In fact, in my experience many In Treatment fans found Sophie to be our favourite patient.) When I heard that Mia Wasikowska was cast in the role, I was delighted, since it seemed like great casting of a brilliant young actress.

Curious where the ship comes in - I don't remember a ship anywhere in the books. But I'm looking forward to this one.

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
Helena Bonham Carter and Anne Hathaway have been cast as the Red Queen and the White Queen, respectively. This would be the sixth time that Bonham Carter has worked with Burton (and she's also the mother of his two kids).

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Interesting. Presumably they're going to be staying away from the playing cards (since I don't see them wanting a third queen), so this is probably going to be more of a Looking Glass adaptation.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Wow, so far an amazing cast. Tim Burton is my favorite director far beyond any other. I am so looking forward to this film, he's a perfect fit for it. Any word if Danny Elfman will be scoring?

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Ron-P,
Ya think Burton would go anywhere else for a score?! :laugh:

(Seriously I dont know but I would assume yes)

Brian D H

Second Unit

With this casting news (Red Queen & White Queen) he's obviously combining the two books. I'm disappointed.

We've had countless adaptations of Wonderland/Looking Glass through the decades and never once had a good one that keeps them straight and separate. I was hoping that this really was an adaptation of "Wonderland" and that "Looking Glass" would follow later (assuming this movie was successful). Now it appears that he's picking and choosing chapters from each book without regard to which one they came from.

How come know one can seem to keep straight that Alice was different ages in each book, and that one has a playing-card theme and the other a chess theme. I still may enjoy the movie, but I can't help thinking of all the chapters that will be left out.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I absolutely agree. It's my biggest frustration with any Alice film as well - I would love to see a series of two films that are faithful to each individual book.

Still, many of the elements of each story - the White Rabbit, the Caterpillar, the Tea Party, Humpty Dumpty, Tweedledum and Tweedledee - are not necessarily connected to the playing-card or chess themes, and can be easily inserted in either story with minimal effort. And the casting of the White and Red Queens suggests this will be a chess-centric film, which will at least be a change.

Raasean Asaad

Supporting Actor
Burton again, with his usual players again with i'm sure the same cinematography and score again...

I'm getting a bit tired of it these days, i hope he actually does something a little different this time but i don't have high hopes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks