What's new

THX trailers (1 Viewer)

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
Hmmm, I see that Cimmaron is described as the conductor's wand/wormhole trailer. There is a trailer on many laserdiscs that I haven't seen described yet that I've always though was Cimmaron.

Basically, it's the THX logo with a red and black background that flies at an angle twoards and over the audience, giving a great split surround effect. You are then left looking at the black screen with all the swimming red sparks and you get the "Best Picture Best Sound" title. Also it's got a sound at the end that sounds a little like wind chimes.

So if this one isn't Cimmaron that what is it?

-Lyle J.P.

Evelio Figueroa

Second Unit
Hmmm, I see that Cimmaron is described as the conductor's wand/wormhole trailer. There is a trailer on many laserdiscs that I haven't seen described yet that I've always though was Cimmaron.
It is Cimmaron. (The short version.) It skips the conductor's wand/wormhole. You hear the sound of thunder then the THX that flies at an angle towards the screen. After that it says "THX Laserdisc"

Robert Spalding

Second Unit
I just downloaded all the THX, Dolby and DTS trailers off the wb in VOB format and burned them to a DVD-R. It is so sweet to sit and watch 10+ minutes of trailers.

ChristopherM

Stunt Coordinator
There is an official THX trailer DVD that contains five (well, four and a half) logos in full bitrate DTS. However, it's a PAL disc.
I’ve already posted this info on another thread, but for those who missed it…
The THX Demo Disc was given away free with Issue 71 (April/May 2001) of the French magazine “Les Années Laser”. Although it is labelled as Region 2 PAL, it appears to be Region 0 PAL.
The initial menu screen offers a choice of Dolby Digital 5.1 (which leads to the main menu screen via the DD5.1 “Space” trailer) and 1509kbit/s DTS (which leads to the main menu screen via the DTS “Piano” trailer).
By the way, this sound selection menu also has a hidden option to view a promotional short about DTS, in non-DTS English stereo, with French subtitles.
Anyway, the main menu lists five THX trailers:
- Broadway
- Grand
- Tex
- Tex 2
- Glacier/Les Rivieres Pourpres (work-in-progress storyboards with full sound)
As well as the non-anamorphic widescreen trailers, there are French-language text screens recounting the story behind the making of each trailer. Also, clicking on various background stars on two of the menu screens reveals some Easter Eggs – three DD5.1 trailers (Water Drops, Steam Train and Ruined Temple), a clip from “Les Rivieres Pourpres” and the DVD credits.
The disc does not come in a box, but the magazine does contain a tear-out two-sided sleeve to insert into a clear Amray box (also available on the internet site – link below). An article in the magazine briefly describes (in French) the history of the THX trailers including the Broadway 2000, Cimarron, Simpsons and T2 THX trailers missing from the disc.
Screenshots, sleeve artwork and back issues are available from Les Années Laser’s French language website:
http://www.annees-laser.com/collector-3.php3
However, be warned again that the disc is PAL.
(By the way, I'm no relation to the other "Chris M"s on this thread!)

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
Just a couple things:

"5) THX Jungle
Found on: the free Kenwood DVD"

I didn't know we were talking about the THX "Jungle Sounds" on the Kenwood disc. It is not a Trailer as such as all the others are, but a short sound clip. And it is incorrectly mixed on the Kenwood disc!
I don't think THX "Wow" is a trailer and guessing it is only available on the THX Wow disc which is not easily obtainable.

"9) THX Tex EX
Same as above EX sound
Found on: Kenwood THX disc, Fox Demo DVD#1"

The Tex on the Kenwood disc is called Tex 2 but others are indicating "Moo Can" is Tex 2. I'm not sure which is correct but the Kenwood Tex 2 is not the same as the one on Toy Story, not sure which one is on the Fox Demo. The Kenwood Tex 2 is the same as the Toy Story but has a EX added part to the trailer where Tex goes to the rear EX speakers and saws something and bumps his head.

Wes

Chris I like the other changes you did to the list!

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
BTW, The Simpsons THX trailer (not really a trailer...more of a Simpsons spoof of THX) is all over the Internet...I downloaded it the other night. Just do a search on "Simpsons THX" and you'll find it...

Chris Moe

Screenwriter
Updated the list with the THX Tex 2 "Moo Can" EX encoded" on Monsters Inc, Am i correct that it is EX encoded?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
very nice chris. hopefully with help we will be able to get the list complete and be able to print it as a ref to know were all the thx's are.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Just a side note...there's a couple of these DVDs going for 180+ Euros, which translates to about $175, on the German Ebay site. Sprechen sie Deutsch?

Tom_Bechet

Second Unit
Star Wars EP2 also has the one with the rain and exploding globe (ie EP1)
And the french Rivieres pourpres THX trailer is great. And even available in DTS full bitrate!!!!!!!!!(when u select the DTS track) I thought that THX is only for Dolby Digital?

Evelio Figueroa

Second Unit
how can you tell it's a DVD-R?
How can I tell?

Well, I have several Demo DVDs in my collection. Dolby offers one from thier web site. It has all the Dolby trailers. Lucasfilm THX has a Demo DVD for retailers that has all the THX trailers plus more. As for DTS, they have movie clips with just one DTS trailer on it. (Demo 2,3,4,5,ETC.)

Now, for a DVD to have all THX, Dolby, and DTS trailers, its got to be a DVD-R. I never seen one offered offically from THX, Dolby, or DTS.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks