What's new

THX trailers (1 Viewer)

Chris Moe

Screenwriter
The recent discussion about the THX trailer on the new Speed DVD got me thinking.
How many different THX trailers are there?
What are they called, and a brief description of each would be nice. Saying cimmarron (sp?) doesn't tell me much.
Most important of all, what DVD's have the trailers, I dont need a list of every movie with the THX trailer just where you can find the "rare" ones. for instance, any disc's out there have the Simpsons one on it.
Thanks,
Moe
EDIT UPDATE
Someone emailed me offline and said I should compile what was gathered from this thread and put the info at the top so here it is.
When a title is listed as **not sure what disc's** this is not including the THX DVD's that are not available to the general public.
You can find these all on the net fairly easily, just dont ask here or post the link if you do happen to find it.
1) THX Broadway (long, short, 2000 & LD) This is the standard THX trailer that we all know and love
Found on: several DVD's including Fight Club and X-Men
2) THX Cavalcade
Globe with Rain inside that explodes and then reforms into the THX logo
Found on: Star Wars "The Phantom Menace"
3) THX Cimarron (long and short)
the THX logo with a red and black background that flies at an angle twoards and over the audience, giving a great split surround effect. You are then left looking at the black screen with all the swimming red sparks and you get the "Best Picture Best Sound" title. Also it's got a sound at the end that sounds a little like wind chimes.
Long version includes a conductor and a wormhole at the beginning.
Found on: Not sure what disc's
4) THX Grand
Starts with a flame on the screen and then the THX logo falls in.
Found on: Speed 5 Star
5) THX Jungle
Found on: the free Kenwood DVD
6) THX Simpsons
Simpson's characters are at theatre, THX logo comes up and the sound breaks glasses, explodes heads and ends with Grandpa Simpson yelling "Turn it up".
7) THX Terminator 2
Similar to Cavalcade, with the T2 theme playing, along with the shotgun replacing the lightning and T1000 liquid metal replacing the water
Found on: Terminator 2 UE
8) THX Tex
THX logo makes the usual sound, then cuts out and dies. Tex robot flies in and repairs it by fixing some stuff behind the listener, then throwing the switch
Found on: Toy Story
9) THX Tex EX
Same as above EX sound
Found on: Kenwood THX disc, Fox Demo DVD#1
10) THX Wow!
THX Broadway followed by a 7.5 minute collage of various films from Lucasfilm.
11) THX Les Rivieres
16:9 enhanced CGI view of a fly through a winter river valley with eagle sounds the camera then goes towards a mountain, we see an avalanche, end up in a tunnel under the mountain, fly through the tunnel and finally see the THX logo on a stalagmite which explodes and the THX symbol comes forward, follows with the usual THX sounds and the usual THX image, after which it says "Le meilleur son La meilleure image" and "Vous regardez un film certifie THX"
Found on: Les Rivières Pourpres (Crimson Rivers)European version
12) THX Tex 2 "Moo Can"
TEX turns over a Moo Can and you hear a very quiet and dirty "moooo" he plugs the can into THX logo and you are surrounded by cows mooing everwhere
Found on: Speed 2 also found on Monsters Inc.
13) THX Tex 2 "Moo Can" EX encoded
Same as above but with EX sound
Found on: Toy Story 2 (Ultimate Toy Box only)
I think that covers it all, let me know about any additions and or corrections.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Here's a few from memory:
Standard Trailer- Just the logo with the blue box, featured on X-Men , Fight Club and a lot of other Fox titles.
T2 Trailer- T2 logo with Arnold pumping his shotgun, then the logo blowing up and reforming into the THX logo a la T-1000, seen on T2: Ultimate Edition
Cow Trailer- Seen on Toy Story 1&2
Rain Trailer- Snow-globe-like-thing with rain inside explodes and then water reforms into THX logo, seen on Star Wars: Episode I
That's all the ones I can think of now.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
You can't forget:

Simpson's Trailer: Simpson's characters are at theatre, THX logo comes up and the sound breaks glasses, explodes heads and ends with Grandpa Simpson yelling "Turn it up".

I don't know if any dvd, besides the THX demo dvd, has this trailer.

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
Found on Toy Story:Tex the robot flying around the room to fix the broken down THX (THX breaking down does not sound too good from a marketing stand point does it?).

Found on the free Kenwood DVD: Tex 2 which is the EX version of the Toy Story intro.

Found on the free Kenwood DVD: Jungle sounds (audio only) kind of cool sounds but incorrectly mixed on the disc. Could have been a cool demo if it hadn't been mixed wrong and was not the "Sounds of Death" like it is. A active jungle would have been much better.

Aaron Garman

Second Unit
Hello all. Here is a list of the THX Trailers:

Broadway: Typical, blue box trailer seen on several DVD's, Laserdiscs, and VHS tapes.

Broadway 2000: Updated version of this, however I think only on the THX demo DVD.

Cimmarron: Starts with the words "Dolby Digital in a THX Auditorium" or something like that. Then it goes to a conductor raising his baton to a crescendo and then we travel down what appears to be a wormhole, and finally ending with the THX logo flying overhead. The short version of this is on several THX laserdiscs, but the full version is only on the THX DVD and I think the THX WOW laserdisc.

Grand: Appearantly it is on Speed in modified form, but also on the THX Demo DVD. Starts with a flame on the screen and then the THX logo falls in.

Cavalcade: On the Episode I DVD, involves a rainstorm and an exploding ball of water. This is an amazing sounding trailer!

T2: Similar to Cavalcade, with the T2 theme playing, along with the shotgun replacing the lightning and T1000 liquid metal replacing the water. Obviously on the T2 Ulitmate Edition DVD.

I think that covers all the bases. On a somewhat similar note, does the sound on the Broadway trailer sound different in Dolby Digital than it does in stereo or pro-logic? I mean it has a different tone and everything. I noticed this when I first heard in on Laserdisc in AC-3. I was like, "This sound really different". Am I crazy?

Chris Moe

Screenwriter
Wes can you please describe Tex, or is Tex what some people call the Cow?

Also What is the Moo can like, and on what DVD's can these be found on, especially the Simpson's one (if it is on any that is).

Gordon Moore

Second Unit
Saw Moo Can in the theater where the robot TEX turns the Moo Can and you hear a very quiet and dirty "moooo" in roughtly the center channel. He plugs the can into something (and that's where my memory goes foggy....I assume it's the THX logo) and you are surrounded by cows (sonically) mooing everwhere. It's a farmers worst nightmare but in the right theater it's pretty impressive. I don't think you can find this on a DVD.

Chris James

Stunt Coordinator
The Moo Can (cow mooing/stampede) is on the Toy Story 2 dvd from the Ultimate Toy Box set. The first disc has the Tex trailer (him fixing the THX logo).

As far as the Simpson's go, that was just a goof on going to the movies in an episode a couple of years ago. I guess Lucasfilm thought it was funny, and added to thier demo disc.

Gordon Moore

Second Unit
I stand corrected (thnx Chris)...what I should have said was "I'm not sure if you can find this on a dvd anywhere". I wonder if they rehash something for episodeII or introduce something new?

Chris M

Second Unit
My list:
1) THX Broadway (long, short, 2000 & LD)
2) THX Cavalcade
3) THX Cimarron (DVD & LD)
4) THX Grand
5) THX Jungle
6) THX Simpsons
7) THX Terminator 2
8) THX Tex
9) THX Tex 2 (moo can)
10) THX Wow!
11) THX Les Rivieres
1) described above
2) described above
3) described above
4) described above
5) Black screen, with jungle sounds, birds, bugs, breaking stick, gun shot, machine gun, falling tree crushing the man (who screams ARGH), flying bug, whip, hellicopter, more hellicopters, big CRASH, quiet... my ver doesn't have an ending.. wierd.
6) Everyone knows this one :)
7) Described above
8) THX logo makes the usual sound, then cuts out and dies. Tex robot flies in and repairs it by fixing some stuff behind the listener, then throwing the switch.
9) Described above
10) THX Broadway followed by a 7.5 minute collage of various films from Lucasfilm. Very cool!
11) 16:9 enhanced CGI view of a fly through a winter river valley with eagle sounds the camera then goes towards a mountain, we see an avalanche, end up in a tunnel under the mountain, fly through the tunnel and finally see the THX logo on a stalagmite which explodes and the THX symbol comes forward, follows with the usual THX sounds and the usual THX image, after which it says "Le meilleur son La meilleure image" and "Vous regardez un film certifie THX"
Seems pretty thorough now :)
Chris.

Chris Moe

Screenwriter
Chris M (I feel like I'm talking to myself)

Great list, but you forgot one thing, if possible do you know on what DVD's these trailers can be found, other than a THX demo disc?

Thanks,
Moe

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i was getting ready to ask the same question. if possible could someone make a list much like the one by chris m that has a detail of exactly what disc to find these thx trailers?
or if not on any disc then on what it is or were it was shown in front of.

thanks.

AllanN

Supporting Actor
Can you acquire the THX Demo DVD anywhere?

I should say can you legally acquire the THX Demo DVD anywhere? Sorry if I implied obtaining them illegally.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
They used to play the Simpson's THX trailer at the Denver West United Artists theatres. (THX certified theatre) The print was so warn out though and Grandpa eventually got cut out completely. The folks in the theatre usually booed at that point.

GregClarke

Stunt Coordinator
Here you go!
THX, DD and DTS. Can be very slow. Left click on the one you want, then right click just below the image. Looks like "accés Http: thx-simpson.vob ( 33,96 mo )". Then burn to cd/dvd.
Replace the hxxp below with http (I can't remember if links are allowed).
POST REMOVED BY OWNER - DO NOT RE-EDIT
Greg

Chris M

Second Unit
Links are allowed.. but this may border on copyright infringement Greg. That's why I didn't paste the url. Granted I did get them from that site after I found the URL on a thread a couple months back :)
Oh, and I forgot the URL anyway... heh.
Chris.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks