What's new

"THX", "Dolby Digital" and "HTF" plaques (2 Viewers)

Derek Iverson

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe one of you guys is interested in acting as a "reseller". But I think it has to be very big quantities to get earning capacity. That's because it will be even more shipping-costs added to the price. And shipping is expensive.. at least here in Sweden. I think the best way is to club together with one or two friends, and fill an 8-pieces-box. That's $17-$25 each in shipping.
Well, I'd be willing to make an order with anyone else that may be interested in saving on shipping costs. We could divide the initial shipment costs evenly and then just pay whoever receives the plaques for shipping from them to us. Once they are here in the states, it will only cost a few dollars to send 2-3 plaques priority mail. What do you guys think? Perhaps a trustworthy mod would like to be in charge of the distribution? This could save us a bundle.

When do you think you’ll be able to start taking orders Mr. Bond?

Raul A

Stunt Coordinator
Heres an idea. Why not do a great big Power Buy?

We can get orders for everyone that wants one (or 3) and have them all shipped to one person stateside. That person can then ship them to each of us in turn. The domestic shipping would be next to nothing.

It can go to a Moderator if theyre interested, and if people would feel more comfortable that way.

The question is - if were ordering in one shot and at great quantity, can that drop the price of the plaques to maybe $25-$30 each? If were ordering more than 50 plaques in one shipment that would seem reasonable.

Magnus, your thoughts?

Derek Iverson

Stunt Coordinator
Heres an idea. Why not do a great big Power Buy?
We can get orders for everyone that wants one (or 3) and have them all shipped to one person stateside. That person can then ship them to each of us in turn. The domestic shipping would be next to nothing.
It can go to a Moderator if theyre interested, and if people would feel more comfortable that way.
:confused: This is EXACTLY what I suggested in my last post... :confused:

Raul A

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry Derek, no offense intended. :)
Magnus' post prior to yours said two or three people should pal up and I assumed you were talking about a smaller order of that size.
I wanted to see if we could get a very large order of 50 or more plaques to help lighten the load. And I suppose my main point was determining what the actual price could be lowered to accomodating such an order.
No need for the frowns my friend, sorry for the misunderstanding. :)

Magnus Bond

Auditioning
The question is - if were ordering in one shot and at great quantity, can that drop the price of the plaques to maybe $25-$30 each?
First... you can NEVER reach that low price even if you order 1000 plaques. There is a material-cost of USD26. On the top of that there is 2 hours work (by hand) on each of them.
I can just as well run my self tired.. :frowning:
It's a big difference when buying things that are factory-made compared to handwork. The Wall Plaques you see in other shops, are in most cases just pressed plastic material, and the material-cost is 1-2 bucks.
You can never compare my plaques to that. This are really exclusive and genuine stuff, that should cost the double or even more if it was placed on "the exclusive street".. I promise you..
Second... produce 50 plaques takes quite a long time.. this is not my primary occupying, (but at this moment I have no other) :frowning:
The idea is not bad.. but the way of shipping I recommended is a discounted prepaid box that includes freight. Any other way of shipping will be MUCH more expensive. It must also be insured if something happen. If they lose a package with 50 plaques (100 hours work) I kill my self...
As a comparison a 20KG box (16 plaques) will cost USD136.. :cool:

Derek Iverson

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry Derek, no offense intended. :)
Magnus' post prior to yours said two or three people should pal up and I assumed you were talking about a smaller order of that size.
I wanted to see if we could get a very large order of 50 or more plaques to help lighten the load. And I suppose my main point was determining what the actual price could be lowered to accomodating such an order.
No need for the frowns my friend, sorry for the misunderstanding. :)
Well, I was suggesting that everyone that is interested in buying these and has posted about it in this thread should make one big order...or at least that's what I thought I was suggesting. I didn't mean just 2-3 people. I don't think I would have mentioned that bit about a mod being in charge of distributing them after ordering them if it was just a couple of people. Even if it was 2-3 people though, we could still save on the shipping.
Anyway... Who is in?
Who would be willing to receive all the plaques and to be in charge of distributing them afterwards? Parker? Jay? Are there any other moderators interested?

Tim K

Second Unit
I finally got around to making my DTS theater sign. If anyone is interested they can be downloaded from my website by following the link below. They will print out to a full (8.5" x 11") page size. If anyone has any requests for a simple change I can probably change some colors and so forth, but I did them in B&W since most people don't have access to a color laser printer.
I currently have Dolby Digital, Dolby-EX, DTS, DTS-ES and THX signs.
Here is what the signs look like:

Click here to see and download more signs!

Keith M.

Second Unit
no offense, but for plexi mounted PRINT-OUTS, the prices are ridiculous especially shipping. I will make my own for much less...

Thanks anyways...

Magnus Bond

Auditioning
Well.. shipping-cost I can't affect..
And not the fact that PayPal reduce the profit with 12%..
Not even the bad rate of exchange... :frowning:
It's not print-outs.. it's photo-enlargements.
I don't think you US guys really know how expensive everything is in Sweden. As a comparison I can tell you that for the profit of one plaque I can buy:
  • 3 hamburgers with coke, or
  • 5 gallons of carpetrol, or
  • Almost a haircut
(not all together...)
And that's for the work of 2 hours.
Please let me know.. If you work for 2 hours Keith.. how many hamburgers can you buy for the earnings..??
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

No hard feelings, just intreresting to know...

BrianEK

Stunt Coordinator
gotta love those Bond signs. but until then...

I've been looking for some sort of backlit theater sign but hard to find. and under $250 per sign. kinda expensive for wanting dd, dts, and thx. wonder if it's possible to take Tim K.'s designs and get them cut into something (metal?, plastic?) then placing an opaque plastic pane behind it and place backlighting in a frame(maybe those cheap cathode ray tubes used in case modding for PC's or something). That's the idea, weather that's feasible is another question. and if it's cheap enough to be worth the hassle.

any ideas?

Tim K

Second Unit
Brian, how about this...Instead of printing my signs on paper, print them on the clear sheets teachers use for overhead projectors. I know they sell these at Staples and Kinkos. I can also alter any of the colors of the signs...maybe making the text white instead of gray. Mount the clear sheets on some sort of plexi-glass panel and Voila...backlit sign!
Another option would be to call one of the HT accessories dealers who sell the $300 backlit signs and ask them how much the plastic insert alone would be.
http://www.showoffdisplays.com/signage.htm
Show Off Displays even lists a number for pricing: Call 877-566-7755 for availability of inserts

Keith M.

Second Unit
Tim K:
That is a great idea. I think I will give it a try...
Should only require 4 sides of 1x3 with a groove in each to seat the insert, and a cheap under cabinet light from Lowes. Might need a back, to keep the light from bleeding out... Maybe paint it black w/ semi gloss...
Total cost should not be more than $20 each...
:D

BrianEK

Stunt Coordinator
just got a great idea thanks to Tim K!! using those teacher transparencies i can print the logo (changing words from grey to white). so the transparency will be black and wherever the white words are will be clear and see though. then attach to a pane of frosted glass to give it a little coolness. then use any color lights underneath and it will illuminate the words any color!!!!
does anyone know if kinkos would print these logos? i think they have some sort of restrictions on what they will print but i don't know exactly. just thought if my printer stunk too much i could use their higher quality printers. plus Tim K.'s designs are already 8.5"x11" and my printer doesn't print to the edge of paper and i rather not settle for a smaller sign.
:D :D :D :D

Tim K

Second Unit
Just use Kinko's self-service printers. You can even get the overhead sheets from them. They never have to know what you are printing!

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
no offense, but for plexi mounted PRINT-OUTS, the prices are ridiculous especially shipping. I will make my own for much less...
Considering Magnus has gone out of his way to provide us information and pricing in good faith this comment was uncalled for. If you can make plaques that look as stunning as what Magnus has available for a better price I would love to see them.

Rich Stone

Stunt Coordinator
Agreed...sounds he put's a lot of work into these things. Obviously some will think the price is too high, but they at least could be civil; especially given Magnus' effort to help make these signs available to us.

Not sure If I can swing the cost right now but they are very nice - thanks Magnus!

Rich

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks