Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I'm really confused (which is par for the course these days). We have a (theoretically) FX and action heavy movie now coming out in 15-ish months. Filming apparently hasn't started yet which means the ancillary items can't start, like post-production.

How is this coming out in May 2025?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The same way the new Jurassic movie is coming out next summer (and they don't even have a script or cast!).

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
These films will probably just be spontaneously generated by AI and put into theaters.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
This is why tentpoles routinely cost $200-300 million now - it costs a lot of money to hire multiple post production facilities and VFX artists to work round the clock for a few months to hit a release date. All of those names you see in tiny fonts during the ten minute end credits roll represent just a fraction of the total workforce on these things. Among the major studios, Disney has consistently been among the most stubborn in holding on to a release date no matter what, throwing absurd amounts of money into a film instead of pushing the film back a year and allowing work to unfold at a more normal pace with smaller crews. It’s the reason VFX artists want to unionize and why many hate working for Disney.

You can work 8 hour days for a year, or do 24 hour shifts over a few months, and Disney often opts for the latter.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm really confused (which is par for the course these days). We have a (theoretically) FX and action heavy movie now coming out in 15-ish months. Filming apparently hasn't started yet which means the ancillary items can't start, like post-production.

How is this coming out in May 2025?
I have no problem imagining that they have most big effects sequences done as pre-viz long before they get around to dumb stuff like shooting actors on sets. Don't get me wrong, that still seems fast to me but they ain't waiting around for them to shoot a movie before starting the effects.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
This was ready to go into production last summer if the strikes had not happened. I suspect Marvel was continuing to work on as much prep as they could during the strike without having the cast able to film.

Last edited:

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I have no problem imagining that they have most big effects sequences done as pre-viz long before they get around to dumb stuff like shooting actors on sets. Don't get me wrong, that still seems fast to me but they ain't waiting around for them to shoot a movie before starting the effects.
Pre viz, yes. I'm still dubious a tentpole action movie will be in any shape for release in 15 months.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
For what it’s worth, Star Trek Beyond was 11 months from start of production to completion, and regardless of what one thinks of the movie itself (I happen to love it), it’s technically a well assembled movie.

The way these big tentpoles work, they pre-viz the movie and begin building special effects from that, and then when principal photography begins, they go and get the exact shots as already designed in the pre-viz. Second unit will shoot simultaneously, grabbing most of the action beats while the main unit works with the above the line actors. They’ll hire every effects house in town and around the world and throw nearly unlimited money at it, and thousands of VFX artists will work 24/7 to complete the necessary effects, and if they’re dead set on that date, they’ll make it.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Second unit will shoot simultaneously, grabbing most of the action beats while the main unit works with the above the line actors.
And that's probably why so many action sequences are dull and mostly seem the same to me today. When I saw the Avatar sequel, the difference between the work of a master action director and a second unit director had been never more clear to me.

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki

GK6zEIhWgAAhP-B

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Good grief. The logo just looks absolutely ridiculous with that asterisk. No offense to Alex for posting it, but the logo itself (rather than Alex's post) is a compelling argument for the existence of a dislike button.

Nobody is going to go up to the box office and ask for "One ticket for Thunderbolts Asterisk, please." The movie will be known as Thunderbolts conversationally. It seems pointless to call it anything else.

Fox did this several years ago when adding parenthesis to the title for 500 Days of Summer, which I also found irritating. The studios can name the movie whatever they want. It's their movie. But adding in unnecessary punctuation marks is another thing, and I find it annoying.

Of course, I'm still going to see the movie. But that logo just looks really inept and dumb. I sincerely hope the movie is better than that looks.

Last edited:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I dunno. It's no dumber than "Superman: The Movie" or "Star Trek: The Motion Picture". People called them just "Superman" or "Star Trek" when asking for a ticket. And we knew they were movies (or motion pictures 🤨 ) -- that's why we went to the theater to see them!

It's a stylization, like Alien³.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
It's a stylization, like Alien³.
Which is pronounced "Alien Cubed," which is still a dumb *&^%$#@ title, even 30+ years later.

I've heard the asterik in Thunderbolts will denote that they are the "Dark Avengers." I hope that's wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks