What's new

Thoughts on the next Xbox hit? (1 Viewer)

JohnE

Supporting Actor
Anyone have any thought's on what the next big Xbox title will turn out to be? I've had an Xbox since day one and love it, but I have to admit that there really haven't been a lot of killer titles. I was really looking forward to Enclave, but it sounds like that one turned out pretty mediocre. And it wasn't an exclusive anyway.

So what will it be? I'm thinking maybe Unreal Championship if Xbox live pans out or KOTR.

ChrisV

Second Unit
I'm actually kind of enjoying the lack of a new "BIG" title. It's giving me some time to play with some oldies but goodies that I picked up recently:
[*]Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee[*]JSRF[*]Rallisport Challenge[/list]Not to mention Morrowind :rolleyes

So to answer your question: I have no idea.

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell is looking pretty sweet!
Link Removed
Not to mention all the new sports titles coming up...

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
DOA Beach Volleyball. I never would have imagined the amount of hype and attention this game is getting but everywhere I turn it seems like there are high expectations and people can't wait for it.
edit: Oh, now I understand why. Of all the big Xbox games coming this fall, the only ones the fanboys have any real frame of reference for are DOA and Metal Gear Solid Substance. Almost all the rest are either original titles (Blinx, Brute Force, Quantum Redshift) or franchises being brought over from PC gaming (Mech Assault, Crimson Skies). So it's natural there'd be more attention for stuff that has appeared in arcades or on other console systems previously :)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Frankly I'm looking Forward to the New Football games, And Medal Of Honor

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I think Panzer Dragoon will break through pretty well. Its very much a "hardcore" gamers type of game but the graphics appeal may entice the masses. (Ill buy 10 copies if it helps bring another Panzer RPG out!)

Star Wars Knight of the Old Republic will be a big title for the Xbox. Bioware knows how to make a good RPG and the SW fans will eat it up. Not too mention the RPG fans.

Splinter Cell as mentioned it really gaining some steam and closer to release should create some good hype for a "Metal Gear" like experience but without the Metal Gear.

Metal Gear Substance will not doubt sell and sell well. You have to also look at Ninja Gaiden! A good established series that gamers have been clamoring for. If Team Ninja can resurrect good old Ryu in an A+ game, we could see a big hit. DOAXVB will sell on flesh alone and will no doubt be popular for that reason.

Bruter Force, Blinx, Quantum Redshift, Crimson Skies and Midtown Madness are all question marks (Though Brute Force, Blinx and Quantum definitely have the potential to be popular franchise creating games that could sell very well for the box). Along with these you have House of the Dead 3, Toe Jam and Earl 3 etc...Allot of nice titles that may or may not see good sales numbers.

Who knows if Shenmue 2 will finally see the success it deserves on the Xbox as well?? The Shenmue fans have already imported the game. Its a tossup but I hope it sells well.(Ill be buying it again)

I dont think there is any question that the next Halo will be a a big hit for Microsoft. Unreal Championship will help X-box Live considerably. Have to include Rainbow Six Raven Shield in this category as well.

Project Ego is another big one for the Xbox. Its gotta allot of hype surrounding it and allot of pressure to live up to that hype.

For the racing fans you got Sega GT 2002 which could be popular. GT3 will remain king of the racing hill for a long time. Could Sega GT 2002 steal some of the glory? We'll have to wait and see.

Then of course you have the big daddy. Steel Battalion. How many gamers are gonna want to plunk down 160+ plus for one game and that massive controller? Will Capcoms strategy work? (I dont care but I will be the first in line to buy that big ass controller for the coolness factor ALONE!)

If anything there will be a ton of games coming. I'm looking forward to fall and winter 2002. (Owning all three will KILL my wallet! UGH)

EDIT: Forgot to mention some titles

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Steel Battalion. How many gamers are gonna want to plunk down 160+ plus for one game and that massive controller?
Count me in on that one, brother!! :D
Like the original poster mentioned, I too was looking forward to Enclave. Of course, you never know until you try it but, let's face it...when review after review comes in at the mediocre level...it's probably mediocre. I'll get it anyhow since I'm tired of the summer drought of games.
This fall is going to be silly, SILLY I SAY, trying to keep up with the killer Xbox titles. :emoji_thumbsup: But that's a good thing.
Oh yeah, about Halo 2...I've read it a couple of times but, I'm still not understanding Bungie's plan on it. Is it going to be a completely online game or will there be the phenomenal single player aspect BUT...with a very comprehensive online component to it????

ChristopherS

Second Unit
Got to love when Romier jumps in! That is quite a few games. I will be quite happy when NFL 2K3 and Brute Force arrive. I will also be renting Enclave. These three games should keep me going until the early fall. Until then I will simply return to Morrowind.

Chris

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Like the original poster mentioned, I too was looking forward to Enclave.
I have it in front of me right now. I bought it this morning. It sucks though cause Im at work and I haven't played it yet. I'll be popping into the Xbox and onto my Widescreen (It supposedly does support the 16:9 widescreen mode!) as soon as I get home. I'll have a first impressions thread shortly after:D
By the way, thanks Christopher:)

James D S

Screenwriter
This fall's Box line-up, coupled with a boatload of DVDs I have to have, is going to leave me penniless and single.

Though I'll be inline still wiping the crust from my eyes the day Panzer Dragoon Orta hits I'm looking forward to Steel Battalion the most. Is there anything a mech fan could want more in a controller? Nope.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
For the next hit, I'd have to say NFL Fever 2003, since it'll be huge & it's out next week.

-Dave

Blaine Skerry

Second Unit
Romier, I'm looking forward to your review of ENCLAVE. I purchased MORROWIND partially based on your review of it and I'm not disappointed. Man, I don't know where you find the time for everything. What's your secret?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I may not be indicative of the "average" XBox user, but the two titles on my radar screen are:

1. Dead or Alive Beach Volleyball
2. Robotech

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Man, I don't know where you find the time for everything. What's your secret?
Old family secret:D. Just kidding. Usually my schedule works out to be that I work from 3-4pm until 11:30-12:30am. Depending on when I leave and get home. After about 11:30 I have the whole night to myself. I usually don't go to bed until about 7-8am. I wake up at around 12-1pm. (If I ever get more than 5-6 hours of sleep I feel horribly exhausted). Not too much shopping or socializing can be done at those hours so I usually fill the time with gaming/internet downloading/surfing/more work (special projects for my company).
My wonderous, beautiful and beyond understanding wife Sara works day shift (she goes to work at 6am) so shes in bed by 10pm. Thats why I have most of the night to myself. Its difficult at times because we don't see each other allot during the week. That is part of the reason why Sundays and Mondays (My two days off) are strictly game and friends free as its the two main days I get to spend quality time with my wife.
Other times I get breaks at work and will come home early, get the day off, stuff like that. I get plenty of vacation time too so I can pretty much have what days I want off if I ask for them in advanced. I'll usually spend most of that time with Sara on those days, go out with friends. The rest of it is filled with?...you guessed it...gaming:).
I'm hoping to go day shift soon though (Hopefully my employers get off thier ass soon and approve my change!!) so I can spend more time with my wife (As much as I love gaming nothing is more important than her to me). Once I do I'm gonna have to manage my time a little bit differently but I'll always find time for my second love..gaming:D.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Let's not forget PSYCHONAUTS! I know this one's still a ways off, but the more I see of it, the more intrigued I am by it.

JasonKrol

Supporting Actor
Ninja Gaiden (which I believe is a Xbox exclusive?) if im wrong, then Im probably thinking of Shinobi (I confuse the 2 as to which systems they are each coming out for)

Im all over Splinter Cell, and Unreal Championship!!

The Thing looks pretty sweet (its on all consoles, but graphically im sure it will be pretty impressive for Xbox)

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Old family secret. Just kidding. Usually my schedule works out to be that I work from 3-4pm until 11:30-12:30am. Depending on when I leave and get home. After about 11:30 I have the whole night to myself. I usually don't go to bed until about 7-8am. I wake up at around 12-1pm.
Damn man; you just described my situation! :laugh: 2nd shifter just like me, huh?
It makes it nice when you can come home and do gaming for hours straight, each night, uninterrupted. Of course, I don't have a wife/kids either so...that helps too. But, I do have a live-in girlfriend but, she's cool with my schedule. In fact, the main reason I'm going to pick up Enclave is because she wants it.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I hope Robotech has a hidden Macross mode which removes the poor voice acting and incorrect names.

It's licensed by HarmonyGold, yeah right that'll happen. I'll be very interested to rent the title to see if it's actually good

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I hope Robotech has a hidden Macross mode which removes the poor voice acting and incorrect names.
I don't think fans of the "americanized" Robotech cartoons nor those that hold that particular version of the cartoon close to thier hearts are going to care either way Jeff. Most just want to play a game based on that. Considering that allot of the voice actors for the american show are reprising their roles, your hopes are pretty much nill.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks