What's new

Those Damn Hard Power Buttons! (1 Viewer)

David Schamis

Stunt Coordinator
I just spent $1350 on the new Sony SACD 555ES, and the thing still has a hard power button.
I am using it with a Integra Research RDC-7 pre and a PS Audio Power Plant, neither of which have a switched power plug.
The RDC-7 has a 12V trigger, but the 555ES doesn't have an input.
I am also using a Pronto remote.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
David

GordonL

Supporting Actor
Maybe I'm not understanding your problem, but couldn't you program your Pronto with a macro to turn on/off your Sony when you turn on/off the RDC-7?

David Schamis

Stunt Coordinator
The Sony SACD player has a hard power button - in other words there is no IR command to turn it on and off, you need to do it manually on the unit.
It is made to pair with Sony receivers where you can plug it in to the back of the receiver, which would switch it on and off.
Hope this makes it more clear.
David

PatrickM

Screenwriter
David,
That's brutal. I guess they assume receivers have switched outlets but that's a bad assumption.
On a totally different topic, I've been looking at that player. How does it sound?
Patrick
------------------
If you live in Vancouver, B.C. or the surrounding areas, take a look at the Local Home Theater Forum Meets section for a Vancouver meet.
My DVD Collection

David Schamis

Stunt Coordinator
So far, I like it very much, but its only been one day so far.
My theory is that a Sony ES SACD player, which they developed, is very close to any high-end player you are going to get.
It makes much more sense to put the money towards high-end pre and power amps.
I paid $1350 for the 555ES at J&R Music in NYC.
David

GordonL

Supporting Actor
The Sony SACD player has a hard power button - in other words there is no IR command to turn it on and off, you need to do it manually on the unit.
You cannot turn on/off the player with it's own remote? If that's true, that's f'ed up! I would suggest you check out www.remotecentral.com to see if anyone has discovered the appropriate Pronto codes for your player. It's also possible that the on/off codes for other Sony CD/DVD players will work. Sometimes the same codes are used in the whole family of products. If you aren't able to find something there, then you can always go the X-10 route. There are Pronto X-10 codes available but you'd also need to get the IR to X-10 controller IR-543 (~ $20) and an appliance module.

David Schamis

Stunt Coordinator
I'm thinking all I need is a AC outlet that is switched by a 12V trigger, which I do have on the RDC-7.
Anyone know where I can get one?
David

RicP

Screenwriter
David,
I have the 333ES which is essentially the exact same unit without multi-channel.
I just leave mine on. There's absolutely no harm in just leaving it on. A CD Player really doesn't draw any power unless it's playing a disc, so the power draw on it is minimal. By leaving it on it's always ready and warmed up, just hit play and it's ready to go.
Is there a reason why you don't want to just leave it on?
------------------
http://www.ricperrott.com
Ric Perrott - My DVD's

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks