What's new

This may sound really dumb, but... (1 Viewer)

Kevin G.

Second Unit
Can anyone tell me if the sleek "feet" that are on many high end speakers are available,(Re; Paradigm Signature, Studio, Dahlquist, as ell as a multitude of others.)
I really like the look, what is the function?
I realize that I would have to make the decison to drill into my speakers, (which ain't cool), Not even sure I'd do it, but just another option...
Thanks

John Prator

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin,
Parts express sells nice spikes for not much $$. I have Martin Logan speakers and they have awesome spikes, I know that ML does sell their spikes but they are about $25 each!!:frowning: Your best bet is Partsexpress.com Hope this helps.
John

Kevin G.

Second Unit
Hey John,
I checked PE prior to my post, and only found spikes, (thanks for the hint, though).
No these are the sleek formed feet that wrap up around the sides and under the bottom.
like on these
edit: I see they actually are spikes, but I've seen them on center channels as well, What's the sense in that?

JamesCB

Second Unit
IMO, and IME, the spiking of loudspeakers is essential. I have yet to hear anyone say spikes made the speakers sound bad or made a detrimental effect on the sound. They always seem to have a positive effect.
The idea of spiking is to give the speaker a stable footing to prevent movement of the cabinet when the drivers are in motion and to provide isolation from the floor or object the speaker is on. While not very common, I do use spikes under my center channel for the reasons above. IMO, ALL speakers should be spiked.

Kevin G.

Second Unit
Yes, but where is your center located?
Most are on top of a TV or cabinet... to be effective they must be spiked into something...yes?
I only have bookshelves on stands for mains, probably no sense in spiking these either eh?

Philip>L

Stunt Coordinator

Sure there's sense in it.

If you look closely in this picture of my Epos ELS-3 speakers you can see that there are carpet spikes at the base of the stand and upward pointing spikes where the speaker sits on the stand:

John Prator

Stunt Coordinator
Oh ok Kevin, I see what your talking about. I used to have PSB speakers and they had those same "feet" but they do have spikes in them and to be honest I didn't like them. They were a PITA to use. If I was you I would forego those and go with regular spikes, much easier to use and much more sturdy. Just my opinion though, YMMV. Let us know what you decide to do.
John

JamesCB

Second Unit

My center is on top of my RPTV. Many spikes come with discs with a small indent in the center to place the spikes INTO and prevent the spikes from damaging what they are on (many people with hardwood floors use these). That is what I use. This worked great for me because the spikes are adjustable, so I was able to angle my center down that way. Plus, they look nice, the way the center floats above the tv.

Philip>L

Stunt Coordinator
Spikes have always had musical qualities. In most cases they provide no additional stability.

The general point (no pun intended) of a spike is to isolate the speaker from the floor. A spike acts like a diode for vibration, only allowing it in one direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks