What's new

This is when Blu-ray starts to piss me off. (1 Viewer)

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

Exactly my point. When the first Omen collection came out years ago, I bought it, but knowing there was an isolated score on LD I was very disappointed it wasn't ported over. Then there was the 2-disc re-release which I skipped, but when it was first announced I thought for sure they'd include it now. But no, they're including it on the Blu-ray only...

Bonedwarf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve
The upgrade from VHS to DVD was a HUGE leap quality wise, and relatively cheap. Just get a DVD player, wham, you're good. Heck, my first DVD player was the drive that came in my new computer. Didn't get a set top box for another six months.

With Blu-Ray, arguably a much smaller quality leap than the analog to digital one (certainly from the demos I've seen in the stores), to upgrade, I'd need:

The player itself AND a new TV. Not to mention a sound system and all the other crap.

So my $250 DVD player for a MASSIVE quality leap was a much more sound investment than this Blu-Ray nonsense. It's one thing if it was just an issue of buying a player, but certainly everyone I know is in no position to even bother with Blu-Ray due to, at the very least, needing a new TV and yet they're already using special features as leverage when, in many cases, there's no justifcation other than trying to force consumers to upgrade.

Not arguing against it. I just think it's pathetic. It's only a matter of time before we see the repeat of what happened with VHS. Where we'll get "Buy it now on Blu-Ray. Rent it on DVD." Which may as well translate too "Please Pirate This Movie".

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
Isn't Ultra HD supposed to be on the horizon and I've heard it looks a 100 times better then Blu Ray. I think I can wait for that rather then throw away money on a format that will not last.

mike kaminski

Second Unit
Real Name
mike kaminski
I doubt you need 4K resolution in your home. You likely will not be able to tell enough of a difference to justify the expense when dealing with a television monitor.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Didn't they say that after DVD came out? It certainly smacks of that same "This is the last format you'll ever need" thinking.

mike kaminski

Second Unit
Real Name
mike kaminski
Yeah but at 4k resolution the difference in apparent picture quality is pretty much zero because most people have televisions in the 30-50 inch range. At that small a size the difference in apparent quality between HD and 4K is so small that I doubt most people will tell because you approach the resolving-power limits of the human eye. If you have a big screen with a projector, like a wall, then it might be worth it, but to manufacture a projector capable of displaying that will probably cost as much as a used car. 4K res is intended for theatrical display, not a home monitor.

fernby

Grip
Real Name
Rodney
Not quite sure if your argument is valid, but it would seem that previous posts have already argued the case for me, better than I could.

troy evans

Screenwriter
I think these statements sum it up nicely. No matter what it is, from houses to cars to electronics, etc. etc. there will always be newer and better versions of things. Is it really so hard to believe that films on any format would be so different. The studio wants to make money and attract new sales to old product. That's where the bells and whistles editions come in. Like it or not, it's the way it is. I have double and triple dipped on more than a few titles as many others here have. It's either that or be satisfied with the version you have or never buy the film to own at all. Those are the the options. Myself, I buy the films I want regardless of what may come because you never know what films may go OOP to never return. There have been a good many on sd dvd that are gone and not likely to see a second pressing. It sucks sometimes but, that's the game as Jeff said.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I believe that The Omen was recorded in London with the Royal Philharmonic and would not be subject to Hollywood Union rules. It is one of the reasons that many films scores were recorded in England in the late 70s and into the 80s, and why many are now recording in eastern Europe.

You are correct of course that the reason that most films don't have an isolated score is because of Union rules on compensation.

Doug

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
That's my approach too, and in my opinion by far the most sensible attitude to adopt.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

Maybe not at this particular stage, Robert. But I'll bet that may be their strategy for the future, at some point.

John H Ross

Screenwriter
Well this is truly shitty. I'm holding onto my old LaserDisc of The Omen purely because of the isolated score and would love an isolated 5.1 track on DVD. Sadly Blu-Ray... nope, not ready for that yet.

Never mind, I'm sure this track will be ripped and spread around the soundtrack collector's CD market fairly soon so I'll just wait for that.

Thanks for that, Fox!

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Haven't there been Blu Ray titles that had audio commentaries that weren't on the SD titles? Like the Pixar films? That is a bit bigger than a score.

Honestly, I wouldn't be interested in an isolated score, and I'm sure many others wouldn't care, so I don't think they are purposely holding this off to get people to buy Blu Ray. It is just another extra to put on the new version.

John H Ross

Screenwriter

An isolated score is FAR more interesting and relevant than an audio commentary and has far greater repeat-playability value. That's MY opinion!!

Whatever Fox's motives, it was sloppy they didn't include this on at least the recent 2-disc DVD. Unless, of course, it had something to do with Varese's release of the (almost complete) score on CD a few years back (sadly "Kathy's Death" was missing from that disc and is the most welcome addition here).

John H Ross

Screenwriter

Not angry at the format, angry at the studios. But go ahead, laugh away. Let's hope the BD edition is ruined by excessive DNR (hey, it's Fox, it probably WILL be!) then we can all have a little chuckle!! LOL

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Screw Damien, Blu-ray is the AntiChrist! :laugh:

With Blu-ray I'm paying premium prices compared to DVD so I don't think there's anything wrong with getting some exclusive bonus material here and there.

That said I was kinda feeling bad for the DVD only folks who felt like they were getting shafted...........up until that last post. You hope something is ruined by excessive DNR? WTF?! Were you dropped on your head as a child?

Since you feel that way then may all of your future DVD releases you purchase be bare-bones, non-oar and plagued with excessive Edge Enhancement! [url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/5/5c/htf_imgcache_32213.gif] [/url]

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't like the direction this thread is taking so let's layoff "I hope your next blu-ray or sd dvd has PQ issues" type of talk. I would think this forum is above that type of devisive discussion.

Crawdaddy

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
May I put in my two cents? I would easily get a Blu-Ray player IF a Blu-Ray multi-disc player were available!!!! Why hasn't this been done yet? Surely the technology is there for such a player. I watch a lot of DVDs and use a multi-disc player. So why isn't there one for Blu-Ray? And I don't mean those thousand-disc models, I mean a regular 5-7 disc player built for Blu-Ray. Well? Won't someone answer me?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks