What's new

This Is My SetUp, These are my features, Open it up...where are my speakers? (1 Viewer)

Jay_Scott

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a little sleepy at the moment, hence the subject line.

Anyway, here goes:

It's a Mits 73909 RPTV, the DVD player is a Pio Elite DV-47A, and the receiver is a Pio Elite VSX-49TX.

That alone is killing me in the budget department, but never the less, I press on.

Like I said, I'm a lil sleepy. So anyway, what speakers will take advantage of all this hardware and will still be somewhat affordable. $1000 is about the price range I am seeing here. JBL looks good, but I am really uneducated on the subject of speakers all together. Also, I don't really want anything that it floor standing. I'd like the front & rears to be wall mountable if possible. This is, finally, my last choice on having what I want in my Home Theater Set-up.

~Jay

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Definitely Bose.
Just kidding :D
Actually you are at the heart of the system now. With the great components you've got, I would take my time, perhaps expand the budget a little although that is really not necessary. The reason I suggest this is because the one thing you don't want to do is get a speaker set in place and then spend all of your time finding fault with it and go looking to replace it. Try out different makers and hear what you like.

Michael Yung

Stunt Coordinator
Don't blow all your money on electronics and go cheap on the speakers. $1000 in speakers is not going to get you the best sound out of your system no matter how good your source and receiver might be.

Jay_Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, well, lets say I can go higher on the amount I am willing to spend on my speakers....what would you suggest on the high end of things? Nothing outrageous, mind you...I'm not really up for paying 10 grand on a speaker set up, but something where I can get the full range of what the Pio Elite VSX-49TX can do. Unfortunately, the room all of this is being used in is probably not really set up for any mid speakers...I can have the front, center, and rears...as well as a sub if needed, but other than that...probably not any more room.

~Jay

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
$1000 CAN get you some decent speakers, but it depends on what you are looking for. If it is for movies, no problem. If it is for music, then the prices easily exponentially increase vs the level you are looking for.
I agree completely with Michael Yung! Teamed with a 49TX, you would do well to spend a bit more than that.
I'd recommend giving a listen to:
Paradigm
Axiom Audio
B&W

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Well if the goal is to keep prices down but get something worthy of the 49TX here are some options I'd consider.

JBL Studio Series (still on the low side of worthyness but cheap and just about there). S-Center, S38, S26. Cost would be around $725USD

Norh (by some accounts there, by others not), if the look turns your crank a set of five 4.0 speakers would be decent. Cost would be $850 USD plus shipping.

Diva gets a lot of praise. Pair of 5.1 or 4.1 plus the C3 center and currently AV123.com will add a pair of 2.1 surrounds for free. Cost would be $1100-$1400 plus shipping.

Then add a sub. SVS 20-39CS+ ($1000), SVS 20-39PCi ($650), Adire Dharman ($599).

One of the three speaker packages with one of the three subs would work well with the 49TX.

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
I would also suggest you consider 5 NHT superones (from onecall.com) for $117 each and then add something like the HSU VTF-2. That would be an outstanding and flexible package in your price range.

Jay_Scott

Stunt Coordinator
A local dealer here who'll be constantly in touch with me on this home theater adventure and is also certified with CEDIA is trying to sell me on Atlantic Tech. System 370 or the 470. Does anyone have any idea or experience with these systems?

~Jay

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
For $117 each, the Super Ones are not the best value, especially considering they were discontinued well over 6 months ago. (that's only about $20 less than before they were discontinued) They are also not quite as good as their replacement, the SB2.

Listen to the Atlantics and see what you think. They look good on paper. Haven't heard them myself. It looked like the 370 and 450 (I didn't see a 470) are both THX certified, so there has to be some quality there.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
There are many people who are very happy with Atlantic Tech stuff. Like John says they look good on paper, with one exception.

There was a review of the sub that comes with the 370 package on Secrets of Hifi. It did not do well, so for sure ditch that sub for a SVS or Adire.

Heath_R

Stunt Coordinator
Take a look at axiom. www.axiomaudio.com
You would do good with 4 M3Ti's and a VP100 for like 630.00 from www.audioshop.on.ca. Or you could ask about pricing on a M22ti, VP150, M3 set.
I have axioms and continue to be amazed by them. I would recomend you put your fronts on stands.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
DIY? :)
Seriously though, I recommend you wait and save up some more money. The rest of your system is great and I wouldn't try to run it with a $1000 speaker set... in the meantime, go to a dealer and listen to some nicer speakers and try to find out how much you're willing to wait for. And there's nothing wrong with DIY if you've got the means.

Allen F

Grip
I've listened to the Atlantic speakers and had a 450 center channel for a while. I think they sound really awesome for home theater, but not as awesome for music. They can be on the expensive side, though.

jehremy

Grip
Don't be fooled, you can do a lot with about $1000. For example:

4 Paradigm Atoms or Titans
1 Paradigm CC170
1 SVS 25-31PCi

In a modest size room this would be a very good setup.

BTW, I have heard both Atlantic Tech systems. They are both excellent for HT and pretty good for music.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I would not, and did not, mention specifically Titans or Atoms, because I don't think they make the grade for a receiver like the 49TX. I would say the monitor line is close, but the Studio line would be more like it, and well above a $1K price for a whole setup. My Titans sound a bit harsh and "ringing" at higher volumes, making them not quite as spectacular for music, which is why I moved them to the bedroom instead of my main system.

The Axioms are easily better performers than the Paradigm Performance line, and cost only a little more (would have been nice to know that before I bought my Titans). Far better for music, but about the same for movies, and they can handle much more power. I've listened to the Atoms, Titans, Mini Monitors and Axiom M3Ti in my system.

The SVS 25-31PCi or 20-39PCi sounds like a great idea to me.

I agree with the comment about DIY, and a VERY nice setup can be had for under $2k, including a sub.

Doug Drake

Stunt Coordinator
Jay - That Pio is a great unit, but if I may suggest...

I'd scale back on the receiver (like maybe cut that budget by $1000-1500) and put the money towards speakers. Speaker investment will give you, by far (IMHO) the biggest impact for your dollar.

Doug

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Doug has an excellent point. Drop the receiver down a couple models in the Pioneer line, or go with something like an Denon 3802 or Onkyo 797. Adding the difference to your speaker budget will have a much larger benefit in the over all scheme of things.

BobRoulier

Second Unit
Jay,
Wow you definitley have picked some nice epuiptment! You sure put a lot of $ into the rptv which didnt leave you much room for speakers. Your electronics are top notch so dont skimp on the speakers;) considering your bugdet you may want to consider bostin accoustics vrm series great sounding speakers I settled on paradigm studio 100s but bostons are very nice speaker:emoji_thumbsup:
enjoy Bob

Jay_Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I appreciate everyone's help in this decision. This is the final part of my home theater layout, so the waiting is getting to me somewhat that I am making sometimes rash decisions on products.

I was talking to the dealer here locally who I was buying the Pio Receiver from and when he found out i was going with the Pio Elite 47A, he was dedicated to not losing a sale and said he would do better on the price. Well, upon mentioning speakers he told me about the Atlantic's 450 series. Said he'd work all of it into a package deal for me of which I have yet to discuss with him. We have an appointment on Saturday for that one. Honestly, I've got the money to go all out on everything pretty much, but I'm not going to empty the bank on a home theater system at the age of 23.

The MK's look good, but pricey, as well the atlantics. How the system sounds won't matter much to me as far as the high ends go. I've read reviews in mags and on here and now it's down to price. I'm pretty confident that what i get, i will be happy with. I would be just as satisfied going with the Paradigm, Axioms, M&K, or the Atlantics depending on the price and deals I find.

I would have gone with a complete Home Theater redesign, complete with high-end front projector, screens, the whole nine right down to the reclining movie theater chairs, but as this may not be the only house I live in during my lifetime, I'm waiting on doing something on that scale.

What I have now, works for me, and that's all that matters in the end for anyone buying almost anything.

~Jay

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
With your last post I'd put some serious consideration into a Diva, SVS CS+ setup then. If you got the coin, I highly doubt you'll regret it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks