What's new

Can I get 9 Speakers From my 7.1 Receiver? (1 Viewer)

Christian Coulis

Auditioning
Real Name
Christian
It will be clear to you that I am a novice......

I have a 7.1 Pioneer Elite VSX-42. It is a few years old, but works fine for my needs. We are moving and want to use it to hook up to 9 speakers. I am OK if they all run off the same input....it's a large Game / TV / Bar area of the basement. There is no need to play multiple sources between the zones.

Is there a way to do this? Can I split the "Zone 2" speakers and turn them from 2 speakers to 4 without damaging anything? Is there anything I can do besides investing in a new receiver?

I appreciate any input or advice.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Each channel in a 7.1 receiver does a specific thing. What do you want the extra 2 speakers to do? That receiver doesn't have preamp outputs, so you there will be limitations and potential hazards.

Christian Coulis

Auditioning
Real Name
Christian
Each channel in a 7.1 receiver does a specific thing. What do you want the extra 2 speakers to do? That receiver doesn't have preamp outputs, so you there will be limitations and potential hazards.

Thanks John.
I only want to play music / movies from 1 source at a time through all the speakers. I would also like the option to turn 2 or 4 speakers off at any given time.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
OK, you're dealing with different objectives. 7.1 is surround sound, which is fundamentally different from 2 channel music, or music that has been matrixed into pseudo surround. So, just playing 2 channel music throughout the room, on all the speakers, is a completely different thing from watching a movie in surround sound, and they are accomplished using different hardware. For instance, your receiver just isn't designed to distribute 2 channel (non surround) music throughout the room on multiple pairs of speakers. You can configure it to output sound from all the speakers, but all except the L&R will be matrixed surround, and what you get probably won't be remotely what you want.

Before giving any suggestions, I need to be certain you understand what you want.

Christian Coulis

Auditioning
Real Name
Christian
OK, you're dealing with different objectives. 7.1 is surround sound, which is fundamentally different from 2 channel music, or music that has been matrixed into pseudo surround. So, just playing 2 channel music throughout the room, on all the speakers, is a completely different thing from watching a movie in surround sound, and they are accomplished using different hardware. For instance, your receiver just isn't designed to distribute 2 channel (non surround) music throughout the room on multiple pairs of speakers. You can configure it to output sound from all the speakers, but all except the L&R will be matrixed surround, and what you get probably won't be remotely what you want.

Before giving any suggestions, I need to be certain you understand what you want.

Thanks again. To clarify; my objective is to use the typical 5.1 setting (front 5 speakers and sub) for movies, sports and general TV. This is the only time I lwould care about “surround sound”, but is 80% of what we do with the space.

The other 20% of the time, we would be listening to music or watching a game and I would like to turn on speakers 6-7 and 8-9 (if my receiver would support this). I’m not looking for theater style surround sound when we do this, I just want to be able to spread the sound.

I know I don’t have an issue with doing this, thru speaker #7. I am trying to figure out if I can leverage the equipment that I already own and get the ability to have a #8-9 or not. Ideally, 6/7 and 8/9 are independent, but I can live with 6-9 being all on or all off.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks