What's new

Thinking of selling Star Wars Faces LD (1 Viewer)

Kelly Grannell

Second Unit
I'm seriously contemplating in selling my Star Wars Faces LD and some other LD titles (such as Bryan Adams Waking Up The Neighbors and The Shadow - non DTS -, and more ;) :D ). They are in extremely mint condition (not a single scratch whatsoever) with UV-protected vinyl protection for the covers (I paid, at the time, US$50 for the Japan imported sleeves protectors).

The question is, what's the fair asking price and how should I pack these laser discs so they won't get damaged in shipping?

Thanks for all the info in advance. I want to clear some space on my shelf.

Arnie G

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arnie Douglas
When I sold some of my lasers I got a box at a local shipping/box store that is shaped to hold record albums. It is just the right size with bubblewrap to protect the discs inside.;)

Kelly Grannell

Second Unit
Thanks. I'm going to my local PO tomorrow and see what they have. I honestly can't recall they have that size here in Canada.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Extremely meagre LDDb statistics suggest that $7 - $10 each for the Faces discs, or $20 - $30 for the full set, is something like the going price. Honestly I think that you could price them at $15, or $40 for the set, and sell them all right. All prices in US dollars.

Do you have any anime [Japanese animation, US or Japanese releases] or test discs?

As far as packing goes, I find that those sleeve protectors are pretty good at stopping punch-through damage. If it were me, though, I would take some of those cheap plastic U-sleeves I have lying in the closet, and do as follows: first, remove the disc from the jacket, sleeve, &c. Second, place the naked disc in a U-sleeve. Third, fold the corners of the U-sleeve over, and tape them down. Fourth, put the disc inside a second U-sleeve, with the opening facing the other way. Fifth, again fold the corners over and tape them down. Sixth, place the resulting assemblage inside the jacket-protector, alongside the jacket. Seventh, seal up the jacket protector and wrap it around securely with small-cell bubble wrap. Eighth, put the resulting assemblage into a tight-fitting box of the proper size for LDs [generally available at packing stores, or the container store, as LP boxes, about 12.5*12.5*1 inch].
If you have more than one disc to ship at a time, the jacket protectors with their contents can be bundled together. Admittedly, this is an extreme kind of packing, but it will cross oceans without damage. For shorter runs, it probably suffices to wrap the disc, in situ, tightly and pack it around with cushion wrap.

Kelly Grannell

Second Unit
Wow, with the currently low price of the Faces set, the shipping cost is not going to do justice. Shipping from Canada is an arm and a leg. Just imagine, sending a CD in a bubble envelope to Florida cost me about US$6.

Oh well, I guess I'll just frame them and confuse my daughter with those large discs :D

Kelly Grannell

Second Unit
Oh, and to answer your question, I don't have anymore anyme or test discs. I sold them all during the DVD takeover in 1997.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Dang it!

Always the same story, nobody is selling what I want to buy... :frowning: Poor me!

greg_t

Screenwriter
The star wars sets aren't rare, so don't go for much, especially since the DVD's came out. I remember about 3 or 4 years ago I wanted the Kurray pressed version of Empire Strikes Back on the Faces set and paid about 60 bucks for a sealed one. Prices have dropped quite a bit since the.

Christoper, you can find Anime easily enough, but you'll have to be willing to pay. I can set you up with someone in Japan, but you'll pay a good price. Most ld owners in the US aren't going to have any anime.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Augh, I've got Japanese contacts if I want to actually special-order something. I just enjoy picking up whatever-it-is, like the hundred or so anime LDs [mostly American domestic releases] I've bought at used bookstores. Some pretty good stuff has come that way, though I've also got some crud [what price per dozen, the CPM "Maris"?].

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately, LD prices in general have fallen to below rock bottom for most titles, but some still do ok, just not as ok as the old days.

A place called Bags Unlimited has mailing boxes that work well with LD and that you can get in bulk. Look for vinyl record mailing boxes - they're the same size.

TedT

Second Unit
Got to 2nd the recommendation for Bags Unlimited! Great products, prices, & service.

What is Star Wars Faces?

greg_t

Screenwriter
Star Wars "Faces" are the laserdiscs released in 1995. They were the last release of the non-special edition trilogy. The three films, Star Wars, Empire, and Jedi were released seperately and are called the Faces editions because each cover has a different charecters Face on it. Star Wars has Vaders head, Empire has a stormtrooper, and Jedi has Yoda.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Depends on how you sent it. CDs can now be sent letter mail for $3, but they have to fit through the slot. LDs, on the other hand, will be a minimum of $8 (plus packaging). Plus, you have to fill out that stupid CN22 form for any small packet shipment.
I prefer to receive LDs out of their cardboard sleeve, since the discs tend to rip the spines if they move around too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks