What's new

thinking of getting a 16:9 sony wega import (1 Viewer)

bently

Grip
i'm thinking of returning my 36" xbr450 (they have a 60 days return policy)
and getting this instead...
KV32FQ75(S).gif

KV-32FQ75
http://www.planet3000.com/MSTV_SONY_kv-32fq75_DTL.shtml
but since this is a european import...
i have no way of seeing the quality of the picture..
has anybody here seen or have this tv?
thanks
bently

nousername

Supporting Actor
Why do you want to do this? In 16:9 mode, your 36XBR450 probably produces a slightly bigger image than this 32-inch widescreen, AND it will play 4:3 sources without having to resort to zooming, bars on the side, etc. If the widescreen set was bigger--say, 34 inches or more--or if you planned to watch widescreen sources such as DTV, HDTV, and anamorphic DVDs exclusively, then I would definitely get a widescreen set in order to prevent burn-in from the bars on the top and bottom.
I just got my 36XBR450 today, and it is awesome. On my previous set, the KV-36FV27, I could see scan lines on 4:3 and non-anamorphic letterboxed DVDs. Now, with the XBR, I can't see the scan lines anymore. (Because of the size of my room, I am forced to sit no farther than 9 feet away.) For me, I still watch a lot of 4:3 material, so a 4:3 set is a good transitional set for me. The only complaint I have about the XBR450 is the silver finish of the cabinet. Why couldn't they make it black, or at least, less shiny?
Anyway, this is just my opinion. The 32 widescreen sure does look good, but since it is an import, I'm not sure how good it is. Perhaps you should get both in your house for some evaluating before making a final decision. (That is, if no one else on this forum responds...)
Good luck...! :)

Jim Kirkman

Agent
Unless I'm missing something, this set will not work in the US. European sets use a different TV standard (PAL?) and different power requirements.
Jim
------------------

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Jim,
Unlike us North Americans, most European, Asian and Australian TVs (mid-end and higher) are all multi-system.
Bently,
If you are watching mostly 16:9 material, I don't see why not buy that TV. I'm buying a 30" 16:9 TV myself because I will ONLY watch DVD and LD on my TV. Okay, I lied, I'll watch the Simpsons too.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
That looks pretty cool, but I'm guessing you could get a lot more for the same money. Surely, that's going to be way over $3k. Above that, I'd start looking at RPTVs.
Todd

David Susilo

Screenwriter
But then again, size may be a constraint for our poster here. I'm having the same problem. Budget wise, I can afford the 40" Toshiba RPTV, but viewing distance allows me no more than 30" 16:9 (which is the approximately same height as 27" 4:3).
Also, lighting condition may hinder our poster from buying an RPTV, that's also the same case with me.
Last but not least, having a really young kid may also hinder the purchase of RPTV. Just imagine the scratch and hand marks on the screen.

bently

Grip
__________________________________________________ _________
David Susilo WROTE:
But then again, size may be a constraint for our poster here. I'm having the same problem. Budget wise, I can afford the 40" Toshiba RPTV, but viewing distance allows me no more than 30" 16:9 (which is the approximately same height as 27" 4:3).
Also, lighting condition may hinder our poster from buying an RPTV, that's also the same case with me.
Last but not least, having a really young kid may also hinder the purchase of RPTV. Just imagine the scratch and hand marks on the screen.
__________________________________________________ __________
Are you sure you have not been in my house?
or are you just psychic?.....
i only have about 5 to 5 1/2 feet from my couch to the tv
so anything above 36" would be too much.
and we have a lot of uncovered windows in the living room, thus i have no control on ambient lighting, so rptv's are not recommendable....
and yes i do have a 3 year old daughter and she has her finger prints all over my 36" screen already
frown.gif

as to the cost planet800.com quoted me around $2000 plus
$150 for shipping, but the down side is they are only offering a 60 day warranty on the tv. after which i'll be on my own. so i think i'll just pass for now... and just keep my 36" xbr450 with a 5 year warranty
wink.gif

David Susilo

Screenwriter
bently,
psychic aside
wink.gif
, I'm facing the exact same problem like you, and I also have an almost-3 year-old. My room size is a hellish 9'x11' which makes the viewing distance of the maximum of 6'

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Denapix
Recent bookmarks