What's new

Think Metal Gear Solid: Substance will sell well? (1 Viewer)

Lanny_B

Second Unit
On PS2, I can't really imagine it selling well.
On Xbox, I guess I could, but I think a lot of Xbox owners have already played it on PS2.

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
It will probably only sell to people that haven't played it on PS2. I have it for the PS2, and there's not enough content for me to justify a second purchase, especially when "Splinter Cell" is a week away, and far more impressive (IMHO).

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I'll get the PS2 version of it. There seems to be a lot of added stuff, so I'm hoping it will be more for the good.

Andre F

Screenwriter
I'll be getting Splinter Cell instead. I think MGS2: Substance will sell pretty good though.

Lanny_B

Second Unit
I rented MGS2:S, and, even with VR extras and such, it's still the same old thing. In fact, it doesn't feel new at all, and after a short time playing it, I'm ready to return it. Splinter Cell, on the other hand, has me drooling. Can't wait for it.

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
I have to agree. I picked up MGS2: Substance because I don't own a PS2 and have yet to play the game. I'm not that interested in the VR missions, as the main story/game is what interests me the most. I can't imagine this game selling well, although I don't see it selling entirely poorly either.

ChrisV

Second Unit
I have MGS2 for PS2 and won't be rebuying it for the extras. Much like the rest I'll be buying Splinter Cell instead.

JamesH

Supporting Actor
I would have traded up to it from the PS2 version when it dropped in price, but the slowdown and lack of progressive scan is inexcusable.

I'll be buying Splinter Cell, which if the demo is any indication, looks to have gameplay that craps all over MGS2.

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Definitely Splinter Cell!!! :emoji_thumbsup:
I grew tired of the stupid ass banter between Raiden/Rose. UGH!!! :rolleyes:Impressive game but, too much "Japanesey" story for me.

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
I grew tired of the stupid ass banter between Raiden/Rose
What? You mean you dont like taking two steps in the game and having the codex go off for a twenty min coversation with the general, then taking two more steps and having the codex go off again for a 20 min conversation with Rose (about something stupid and irrelevant)? That was the best part of the game! :rolleyes
Man, by the time I had finished MGS2 I was ready to kill someone anytime I heard that damn codex sound.
Count me in the Splinter Cell crowd!
JQ

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
I can't picture it selling all that well. There hasn't been much of any promotion for it to this point. I think the PS2 version could sell decently, but I can't see many people paying $49.99 for the VR missions. That's just my opinion though.

Glen

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Considering the first one sold extremely well, they might not need to charge $50 for the PS2 version. They could put it on the shelves for $30 and still make a profit because of how well the first one sold.

DeanWalsh

Second Unit
Man, by the time I had finished MGS2 I was ready to kill someone anytime I heard that damn codex sound.
I'd heard so much that the story sucked in this game I deliberately skipped most of the codec conversations where possible. I wouldn't mind playing Substance for the sweet looking skating mode, but it will hardly be competition for THPS4 so I think I'll pass.

Dan B

Screenwriter
The skating mode was not included in the game. (I think they shot themselves in the foot there...not that I care about the skating personally)

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I'll probably end up with both Substance and Splinter Cell at some point (since I never played MGS2 on PS2).

The commercial for substance is great though (even uses the cardboard box!)

DeanWalsh

Second Unit
I believe the skating mode is a forthcoming Konami skateboarding game that has Snake as a secret character, it's not in Substance.
Damn... I definitely have no reason to buy it then... as a bonus feature it would've been cool, but Konami are definitely wasting their time developing a skating game. It's already a flooded genre and as I said earlier, they would have a damn hard time competing with Neversoft on that one, so why bother? Bring us a new Castlevania on PS2 please!

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
DeanWalsh-

Last I heard, the skating game was for PS2, so they might be including that extra in the PS2 version.

And they are making a new Castlevania on PS2. Most likely 2D.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassidylhorne
Recent bookmarks