What's new

They’re Still Not Making Laser Discs Are They? (1 Viewer)

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I still have my laserdisc player so when it goes on sale i might get it. I hope to get a good 4K image on my tv. ;)
It looks t be a third party seller ...
Sold by Poseidon Distribution and Fulfilled by Amazon.

They have only one negative review " The item that was pictured on the box "rotary" was NOT WHAT I RECEIVED. It's a Conair Even Cut, but a totally different model. I'm trying to find out what the differences are before taking action. Read less "

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
The illustration in the Amazon listing clearly shows “Blu-Ray” on the spine. Be interesting to trace the origin of the boo-boo, though.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Technically, it is true. All digital discs (CD, DVD, Blu-Ray, UHD) are read by lasers

(as opposed to vinyl disc that are read by a needle)

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
It is obviously a 4K UHD disc. No debate needed. But pop it in your laser disc player and see what happens. Maybe try a DVD in an old cassette player.....

I wouldn't tell people that, because there are ones out there that are dumb and bored enough to actual try that.

Last edited:

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Technically, it is true. All digital discs (CD, DVD, Blu-Ray, UHD) are read by lasers

(as opposed to vinyl disc that are read by a needle)

As recently as 2016, there was a commercially-available laser turntable that played LPs without making physical contact. I believe that you had to purchase it directly from the manufacturer, and that it was quite expensive.

Above my pay grade, anyway.

:P

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I hope it never needs repair. Parts aren't available anymore, unless from another player.
I have three laserdisc players that i bought on Ebay years ago at around $40-50 each in great condition. I have close to 300 discs with half of them Criterion so i am set. Even with the lower resolution i enjoy watching them on my 4k tv.

maxfabien

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Walter
I have three laserdisc players that i bought on Ebay years ago at around $40-50 each in great condition. I have close to 300 discs with half of them Criterion so i am set. Even with the lower resolution i enjoy watching them on my 4k tv.
I had about 300 at one time. I have about 20 left. As I replaced them with dvds and blu-rays. A few of them are not available on dvd or blu-ray, so I guess they're pretty valuble. But I can't play them, I have no machime.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Laserdisc production for the U.S. market stopped in the year 2000. The final titles were Scorsese's Bringing Out the Dead and Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow. Releases continued for another year in Japan. The final titles there included The Cell, Schwarzenegger's The 6th Day, and the French thriller The Crimson Rivers.

Unlike vinyl LPs, Laserdiscs cannot be produced by fan enthusiasts and are unlikely to be revived by boutique labels because the manufacturing requires strict clean-room conditions that are not financially viable for small operations. There also isn't nearly enough nostalgia demand for the format to justify attempting it.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
One thing that kinda killed laserdiscs was the price of the player at a average price for a nice Pioneer $400 and up and the average price of a laserdisc. Joining the Columbia House Club did help buying them and also stores like Blockbuster & Camelot. Towards the end Ebay & Big Emma's had some very nice prices and that is were i bought half of my discs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks