What's new

There is a blue/green spot in the corner of my TV (1 Viewer)

Kasey Baughan

Auditioning
I had just hooked up a home theater system I just got today, and when I used some component cables it wouldn't work, and then switched it to a regular yellow composite cable. After watching a DVD for like 5 min I turned it back to regular TV (just standard cable) and a blue/green/purple spot showed up in the corner of my TV. Is there any way I can get rid of this? It just happened right after I hooked up the DVD player.
Am I gonna have to get a professional to fix it? We just bought it less than a year ago and its a Toshiba 32" flat screen non-HD.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
Any chance the center channel in your new HT is not magnetically shielded and the magnet is affecting the picture? What model is the HT/speaker set?

Kasey Baughan

Auditioning
I'm guessing by now that they aren't shielded. It's made by a brand called KOSS, it's a real cheapy 6.1 setup that came free with a TV we bought at Best Buy. I've read from other people that I need a degausser to fix it. How much do those run for?

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Just try moving the speakers further away from the TV and that would probably remove the discoloration.

Andy_Steb

Stunt Coordinator
I believe most TVs will degauss themselves on start up.

While rearranging the furniture and the TV on the floor, I accidentally set my SVS right against the screen of my TV. Needless to say the picture was screwed.

So here is what I did, turn the TV on for 15 min. turn off for 15 min. I did this repeatedly all day. I can’t believe this worked, I thought for sure the tube was shot.

matt-f

Second Unit
Depending on the TV, the deguss will have a safety so it won't go off everytime turn the TV on. I think it will let the deguss turn on after a certain amount of time from the previous deguss.

However, if it doesnt' have the safety, don't abuse the deguss because you can burn out the magnet which is used for it.

StephenHa

Second Unit
if you shut the set off and turn it back on and it's still there let it sit off for a few hours then turn it back on do that a few times and it should clear up, to have a tech do it (you don't want to buy a degauser) will be more than you want to spend (figure a service call to the house starts at about $50 then they take the back off you get a couple hours quick)

Kasey Baughan

Auditioning
Ya its fine now, just turned it off for about half an hour and it was gone. I moved my speakers and sub like 5 feet away now.

Can speakers mess up Projection CRT TV's? I need to find a place to put the center speaker in case it does when my big screen comes in.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Yes they can if it is a CRT-based RPTV. However, note the gun in a direct view is the whole big thing itself pretty much, while in an RPTV, the guns are projection tubes, and are smaller, and located usually down in the front of the set. A center channel placed on top of a CRT RPTV is usually thus already a couple feet away from the guns. More danger comes from subwoofers and such placed in front of and below the set. The effects, however, will not be micoloration like in a direct view, but rather misconvergence, and there isn't quite the same risk of damage to the aperture grille, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks