What's new

Theater seating advise needed (1 Viewer)

Todd_Brown

Second Unit
Well now that my wife has her new bathroom done, she's allowing me to proceed on our home theater. We've had a functioning theater for a couple years, but I'm now going for the "full" theater experience. I just installed a lighted marquee outside the room and have my black-out shades ordered. The room is 17' 5" x 12' 10". The door is centered in the back. I have a Sony Trinitron 35" RPTV that is approx 2' deep (on the stand it projects approx 3') into the room. I have good equipment (see list) and nice memrobilia. What I lack is seating. We currently have a couch that is approx 7' from the screen. I want to go with 2 rows of theater seating, with the rear row elevated. My questions:
1) What is the minimum suggested distance from seat to screen, and front speakers.
2) What is minimum distance from back of front row to the front of the back row?
3) How wide should the aisles around seating area be?
The answers to these questions will determine what type of seats I'll chose. I'd like at least seating for 5, hoping for 6.
Thanks in advance.
Todd
------------------
I want the people to know, they still have two out of three branches of government working for them, and that ain't bad! -Mars Attacks

andyg

Agent
The best advice I can give is get some plastic chairs and place them in the locations you feel is the correct spot. You then have the ability to move the chairs around left, right, up, down. This is what I did while building my HT. This gave me real data to test my seating locations. You also get to have live bodies sit in the seat to determine if the front row in going to block the back row, leg room, aisle width, etc. I would start the front row by using the 1.6xwidth of the screen method. This will give you a good starting point. Good luck with your project.
---Andy Garabedian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks