What's new

Theater seating (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I have to admit that aesthetics matter to me, too. I'd much rather have this home theater...

View attachment 163175

...than this one.

View attachment 163174

Indeed, I'd argue that home theaters are all about aesthetics. Aesthetics of sight, aesthetics of sound, aesthetics of ambience. You want a movie picture that is beautiful; you want sound that is beautiful. Why wouldn't you want a theater that is beautiful?

True, though for what it’s worth, I’d argue the difference between those two examples is more than aesthetics but actual functional differences. A proper screen does things a bed sheet doesn’t, so that’s a technical difference in my book. Having dark vs white walls affects perceived contrast, so that’s a real functional difference too.

I don’t have a specific chair to recommend but since seating is such an individual choice for comfort I’m wondering - are there any retailers at a reasonable distance from you that you can actually go to, in order to sit on the chairs?

Two of my local theaters recently remodeled with what, on paper and in photos, seem to be equally outstanding new seats. But in practice, I find one of the theaters’ new seats to be very comfortable, and the other’s to be merely OK. It’s not bad or anything that would discourage me from visiting the location, but I also wouldn’t be happy if I had spent that money to buy seats and wound up stuck with those. But I’d never have known they weren’t great for me if I was just going on photos and spec sheets.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
True, though for what it’s worth, I’d argue the difference between those two examples is more than aesthetics but actual functional differences. A proper screen does things a bed sheet doesn’t, so that’s a technical difference in my book. Having dark vs white walls affects perceived contrast, so that’s a real functional difference too.

I don’t have a specific chair to recommend but since seating is such an individual choice for comfort I’m wondering - are there any retailers at a reasonable distance from you that you can actually go to, in order to sit on the chairs?

Two of my local theaters recently remodeled with what, on paper and in photos, seem to be equally outstanding new seats. But in practice, I find one of the theaters’ new seats to be very comfortable, and the other’s to be merely OK. It’s not bad or anything that would discourage me from visiting the location, but I also wouldn’t be happy if I had spent that money to buy seats and wound up stuck with those. But I’d never have known they weren’t great for me if I was just going on photos and spec sheets.
Absolutely!

You must sit in chairs yourself and decide based on that. Often the most fabulous looking chairs are astoundingly uncomfortable.

DanaRuns

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dana
I need to take a new photo with the SB16s and that isn't more than two years old. After all, I just dropped a zillion $ on all new camera equipment.

View attachment 163176
Hey @JohnRice, which model Thiels are those? Wouldn't be the CS2.4 by chance, would they?

Also, please tell me about the two amps and the preamp I see by your right foot.

Last edited:

DanaRuns

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dana

If only. I live in a rural area, about an hour from the nearest city, and that nearest city is Sacramento, not exactly known for its variety of home theater seating. At least, not that I've found. But maybe I just haven't found it yet.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
My HT seats two. My wife doesn’t really care about HT and is just as happy watching a movie loaded with commercials on a small tv in stereo lying in bed as opposed to a 4K disc presentation in Dolby Atmos in my HT on a 65” QLED.

I really don’t understand her.

GeorgeHolland

Stunt Coordinator
My favorite seats of all time are a pair of Stressless Recliners that were in our family room off and on for well over a decade. I have a back that acts up at times and these chairs offer the best support of any chair I have ever sat in. It is not a home theater but does have great surround sound and dedicated 2-channel sound along with an LG 77 CX. We recently ordered a reclining Stressless sofa and loveseat with ottoman and while they are not quite as comfortable as the single seat recliners, they are still very comfortable. They do make Theater specific models and offer black leather in all models but I’m not sure how easy they are to find in the US. I'm sure a Stressless dealer could find out. I assume they would crush your budget but they are sweet.

I also have Berkline 13217 Theater seats in my basement theater. They have been fine, are comfortable and have held up well over time but do not compare to Stressless though are only a fraction of the cost.

Theater_Brown_Paint_Back_1_1000p.jpg
Stressless_Couch_Loveseat_1_1000p.jpg
Stressless_Home_Theater_Seats_1000p.jpg

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Oh yeah, I don’t have dedicated theater seating. I repurposed a reclining leather loveseat we had when we bought our house. It’s fairly comfortable and does what it needs to: reclines with a foot rest. I have small tables next to each side of the loveseat for drinks and remote storage.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
My HT seats two. My wife doesn’t really care about HT and is just as happy watching a movie loaded with commercials on a small tv in stereo lying in bed as opposed to a 4K disc presentation in Dolby Atmos in my HT on a 65” QLED.

Same here. It used to really bother me but now I've come to love the solitude my room offers me. When we do watch something in there together it's enhanced by its rarity.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Hey @JohnRice, which model Thiels are those? Wouldn't be the CS2.4 by chance, would they?

Also, please tell me about the two amps and the preamp I see by your right foot.
Those are CS 3.6.

The components you see in front are all amps. Four in total, actually, with one hidden behind the one to the left. Bottom center is an Emotiva XPA-DR2 for the Thiels. Above that is an A-300 (replaced by the A-2) for the upfiring speakers. Left is an XPA-DR1 for the center and behind it is an XPA-5 Gen 1 for the surrounds. I actually have two preamps, one for music and one for surround. They are in the rack to the left, and the surround is a Marantz AV7703. My plan is to replace both with an Anthem AVM 90. Then, along with my recent new camera gear, I never get to spend money ever again for the rest of my life. Well, except, I still need to get four actual in-ceiling speakers, but I already have a second A-300 to drive those.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Same here. It used to really bother me but now I've come to love the solitude my room offers me. When we do watch something in there together it's enhanced by its rarity.
That’s maybe a once in a year thing for me. My HT had become my fortress of solitude but anymore I only get to use it to watch a movie every other month or so and even then I usually get interrupted about halfway through the film and never get a chance to go back and finish it. Lately, I’ve been thinking about just selling everything and giving up. 🤷🏻‍♂️

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Well, my wife actually liked to watch movies in the HT and didn't grudge me for it at all. How'd that work out?

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
That’s maybe a once in a year thing for me. My HT had become my fortress of solitude but anymore I only get to use it to watch a movie every other month or so and even then I usually get interrupted about halfway through the film and never get a chance to go back and finish it. Lately, I’ve been thinking about just selling everything and giving up. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I'd recommend against that unless, of course, you have an Anthem AVM70. In that case give up and sell it to me please. :cool:
I've learned over the years that the secret to fewer interruptions is to be extra annoying, something I have a natural talent for anyway. ;) My wife appreciates the break when I'm in the HT.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I have the biggest Lazyboy made in myTV room. highly recommended. In my basement I have HTMarket Devonshires. They are the best -looking- theater seat IMO but if I would do it different today I might try a few more for comfort. Not that these are bad but I am a big dude and not every seat feels the same to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks