What's new

"The Young Ones" planned for DVD release (1 Viewer)

Matt Everett

Stunt Coordinator
I emailed BBC America asking about any plans to release "The Young Ones" on DVD. Here is their reply:
----------------------------------------------------------
"The Young Ones" is currently being planned for release on DVD. Please
check back on www.BBCAmericaShop.com periodically.
----------------------------------------------------------
They didn't have a release date, but I can wait. I haven't seen this show since MTV aired it about 10 years ago or more. I signed up for the BBC America newsletter, so when I hear more, I'll post again.

Chris Brunner

Second Unit
Thanks for that piece of info Matt. I too used to watch The Young Ones over and over again on MTV back then. There are only a few episodes right??

I crack up out loud thinking about.....

NIGEL TO RIC: "When my hamster finds out you nicked his carrot, he's gonna be mad."

SOMEONE ELSE: "I didn't know hamster like carrots."

VIVIAN: "They Don't! He just sticks 'em down his underpants to impress the girls!!"

Or something like that.

Hopefully, todays technology will allow us to get a much better PAL to NTSC transfer than MTV had in the mid 80's.

This is good news indeed!

C

PS. Is the guy on "Nigel's Wild World" that airs on Discovery THIS Nigel???

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The 2 Young Ones episodes I remember the best are "The University Challenge Bowl" (features a young Emma Thompson) and the episode where the actors played different characters on the group, that one was so funny to see the actor's take on another's character.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Great, I loved this show! I wonder if they will also release "Bad News", "More Bad News" and "Bottom" on R1 DVD (they feature essentially the same cast as "The Young Ones")... one can hope. Anyone remember those?

/Mike

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
Very Good News!! I can retire my over-played VHS!!

"NEIL, YOUR BED IS ON FIRE!!!"

"I might have burned to death in my sleep!"

"Are you gonna make dinner, or am I gonna kick your teeth in?"

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
MickeS-
Good to hear someone else who's actually seen 'Bottom.' I would love to see that released R1. I was shocked when I saw it initially, because Edmondson and Mayall are so completely different from their Young Ones characters.
All that aside, this is great news!
"I just killed a hippie!!" :laugh:
Joseph

Cal S

Stunt Coordinator
This is indeed great news. I also have a worn out video tape with the epsidoe recorded off of MTV. I think there is only around 13 episodes.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Great news! I love the one that parodies "Narnia" (Flood).

I gonna ask a mod to move this thread to the Software section, though. It seems better suited for that area.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Wonder if they'll come with 3D glasses......they should have come free with this weeks Radio Times. :D
This is GREAT news. Oh how 2002 is shaping up to be a great year, I'm so happy about this and I'd love it if there were to be cast commentaries for the episodes.
Dan (UK)
PS: Watch out for the special branch. :)

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Great News!!!

I would love a commentary track with all 4 of the stars. Please, no more boring directors clearing their throats.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Yeah! This is great. I've been suffering along with the one VHS tape they officially issued of a couple episodes and off-the-air tapes of the reast for far too long.

That was Emma Thompson? Really? Wow, I've got to go back and check that. That is the greatest episode; the segment with Vivian on the train tracks is priceless.

Cal S

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, Emma Thompson and also look for Jennifer Saunders form Absolutely Faboulous in an episode or two.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Lent out my VHS years ago so this is the best I can do,
"Red hot poker up the jacksey!"
What about The Goodies! I'd love to see Kitten Kong again.

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
'VIVIAN! Have you been using my deoderanT! There's a revolting hair on it and it is not one of mine!'

'How'd you know?'

'becasue I can see mine'

'not the one's on your bum you can't'

'Dear Thatcher, we've got a BOMB'

'open up it's the pigs!'

'Stick buns covered with humans the size of amibas'

YES! Great news!

'Because you smell....smelly!'

Marc

ChristopherM

Stunt Coordinator
Bad news, I'm afraid. According to the release schedule listed at R2 Project, the "Young Ones" DVD listed for UK release in June is only a "Best of...".

Given that there were only 12 episodes made, I can't see why the BBC can't release the whole series on a double DVD.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Oh, thanks for bringing that to our attention, Christopher!

Can Matt Everett perhaps write back to them and ask after this? I won't buy it if it's just a best-of. Not much to put out, so they might as well do the whole thing right up from the start!

Neil White

Supporting Actor
Vivian: "I have a craving for a piece of toasted toliet paper"

(He thought he was pregnant but he just had bad gas...)

N

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks