What's new

The Wizard Of Oz 1997 MGM Vs. 2005 Warner Bros? (1 Viewer)

PaulKTF

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
Are there any sites that compare and contrast the 1997 MGM and 2005 Warner Bros. DVD versions of The Wizard Of Oz? I know they're night and day but I'd really like to see them side by side. Thanks!

PaulKTF

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul

Thanks, but that's comparing the 2000 DVD to the 2005 one. The 1997 MGM DVD was released before the '98 remaster which is what the 2000 DVD is based on.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
Oh, sorry. I wasn't aware that the 2000 release wasn't from the same source as the '97.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
MGM 1997: Kansas scenes are very grainy and have a lot of scratches on them with poorer contrast. The Oz scenes have a cool color range, with what appears to be DVNR applied to the scene where Dorothy meets the Tin Man. The framing is ample on this version. There is more picture info on all four sides. Certainly not a poor version of the film, but not great either.

WB 2005: Hits the ball out of the park on most levels. The Kansas scenes look better than they have since 1939...the sepia tint appears spot on (with maybe a weird draining of the color on the MGM opening logo.) Part of Dorothy's line in the parlor with Miss Gulch is cut on this version. The MGM version contains the line "Oh Toto. Don't..." On this version she whimpers "Oh, Toto." The Technicolor scenes are beautiful. They are warm and the two elements I personally use to gauge a good Oz print are there...the yellow brick road is a true fence paint yellow (not gold or orange) and the Emerald City is green (not aqua or silvery.)

So, in my opinion, this is how it weighs out:

Video Clarity: WB 2005
Color: WB 2005
Audio: MGM 1997 only because of the slight edit on the 2005 mono track

...I would say the WB 2005 version is about 98% perfect. There are a few print flaws (some color streaks stream briefly across the screen, and the aforementioned line should be reinstated) but other than that, the best Oz presentation ever. There really is little reason to prefer any previous home video versions of Oz in any format over this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks