What's new

The Who: Tommy Coming to Super Audio! (1 Viewer)

Al B. C

Supporting Actor
Perhaps a more appropriate thread title may have been

"The Who: Tommy Coming To Super Audio And DVD-A! :)

Can't wait to hear it in either format! :emoji_thumbsup:

Steve Meskell

Second Unit
Universal+Hybrid+Crest=DVD-A

Is it possible that some other company will press these SACD's??
Unless someone(Crest,Universal)addresses the shoddy cracking crap they have pushed on the consumers, I and many others in the know will stay far away.......

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
"The Who: Tommy Coming To Super Audio And DVD-A!
Lets be "fair and balanced" as Lee likes to say :laugh:

I will probably be picking this up on DVD-A, as most of the work is likely to be done in PCM before being converted to DSD as has been the case with many catalog releases. This is good news for fans of both hi-res formats though. People who only own DVD-A will get a stellar recording, while those with only SACD will have a recording that should beat the redbook release, except be slightly compromised compared to the DVD-A (extra conversions never a good thing). A win, win situation especially if you own players which do both formats, allowing you to choose the best in terms of sound quality.

J

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I'll be buying the DVD-A (that Lee doesn't mention for some reason). Until the Crest/cracking situation has been fully resolved, I'm sticking to DVD-A whenever possible.

I'm hearing the Dylan discs are probably pressed in Terre Haute :emoji_thumbsup:, but the upcoming Universal discs should be presumed to be Crest until demonstrated otherwise.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
I'll be buying the DVD-A (that Lee doesn't mention for some reason). Until the Crest/cracking situation has been fully resolved, I'm sticking to DVD-A whenever possible.
I keep forgetting that Universal is still using Crest to do all of their Hybrids. I likewise will be passing on all future Hybrids they release until the cracking situation is definitively corrrected.

J

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Lets be "fair and balanced" as Lee likes to say
I only mentioned Super Audio because that is the format the story referenced. However, I am glad we have two choices in hirez for this. I will probably get both and compare them. Does anyone know if we have a release date yet on the DVDA? I don't think I have seen one.

I would not automatically assume that they would use a PCM master. They could have the analog tapes and do a DSD transfer off of that and then downconvert to 24/96 for the DVDA release. We will have to just wait and see if Universal releases any data on the mastering process.

As for the cracking issue, I wish Crest would make more statements and perhaps back them up with manufacturing data explaining exactly what they have done. For my part, I sent the pics from people here into David Chesky and asked that he forward them to David Kawakami. I have not heard anything yet. I may go to CEDIA and see if I can meet with him there. This possible mfg defect should be resolved as quickly as possible in my opinion.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I AM surprised no one has commented on the David Bowie albums-these are some of my favorites. :emoji_thumbsup:

And they are hybrids so Rachael should be happy...

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
The 'Tommy' DVD-A was mentioned days ago (elsewhere, and buried in a HFR article) but there isn't a DVD-A cheerleader that corresponds to Mr. Moura at HFR.

Neither has a release date yet.

Dan B

Screenwriter
Yep, Lee already posted this 2 weeks ago in John K.'s "Universal DVD-Audio press release." thread. I'm sure I'll end up buying both the DVD-A & the SACD.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Listening to you
I love the high rez release of you
I get the glory

I probably f'ed that up but you get the idea.

Hehe ;)

Its MINE!!!

DVD-A of course.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
How about Quadrophenia? I've always loved it more than Tommy. Can you imagine how it would sound in MCH w/ all the horns, strings, ARPS, waves, etc.? I wonder: was it ever released in quad?

Lee, those aren't my favorite Bowie albums. I'd love to hear the Berlin trilogy in SACD: Low, Heroes, Lodger.

I'm concerned about Crest crackers, too, but the only cracker I've gotten so far is DSotM. My Up is fine so far; I'm awaiting Avalon from amazon.fr & hope it's not cracked.

Cheers,
Doug

Todd_B

Second Unit
Count me in as another one who will be grabbing up the DVD-A version :)

Can't wait.. :emoji_thumbsup:

Todd B

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I will be getting Tommy on DVD-Audio if the SACD is a Crest cracker. If the SACD is not a Crest product, I may get both versions. The DVD-Audio disc could have some cool graphics. :)

The Bowie SACDs is very good news. However, of all the stuff Manilow has done, why are we getting a Christmas album? :rolleyes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks