What's new

The, "What ever happened to my cool toys?" thread (1 Viewer)

Earl J

Stunt Coordinator
Gary Harris said:
When my sons were younger I bought a bag of die-cast Dungeons & Dragons figures (around 50 ranging in size from large to small)from a woman at a flea market for $10. She said her son went off to university & she cleaned his room & decided to get rid of some of his junk.
Gary:
So you're the one that took my D&D stuff!!:D I was totally into Dungeons and Dragons growing up. Fortunately most of the components of this game are books. Consequently, mom didn't sell them. I remember all the controversy that there used to be surrounding this game. Like I was gonna go and summon the devil or kill my neighbor with a two-handed sword or something. At least back in the day kids would keep the killing in the game.
Dustin B:
Thanks for depressing me even further:frowning:
Earl

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
I tried to sell my Star Wars stuff at one point (to buy Nintendo stuff I think) but my mom wouldn't let me, hoping that it'd be worth a boatload of money someday. None of it's carded or even complete though, so I kinda doubt it is, but I'm glad she stopped me.

However, I did have the old Death Star set that I played with quite a bit. My mom threw that out when I was a kid thinking that too many pices were missing. There was stuff missing, but not enough to warrant trashing it. I also have no clue where my X-Wing went to.

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
I have an Alien doll (from Christmas '79) and a Big Track (from late 70's).
Both are top condition. I would like more Alien dolls. Wal-mart had some a couple years ago to support Alien Resurrection. For stupidity reasons, I didn't buy them.
I also used to have a KISS comic book (came out around the "Love Gun" era. It was supposedly printed in "real KISS blood".
:D :D :D

Jeff Braddock

Second Unit
When my uncle was younger, his mom burned his baseball card collection. It included among others at least one mint Mickey Mantle rookie. Needless to say, he was more than a little hacked.

Also, is there a market for the old die cast tractors? I have some from my childhood (assuming dad hasen't thrown them out) and I was wondering what kind of value they hold.

Scott Van Dyke

Supporting Actor
I have an Alien doll (from Christmas '79) and a Big Track (from late 70's).
You have a BIG TRACK? Man, I had one of those when I was a kid! It has the touch pad on top so you can program a complete set of instructions into it, right? Man O Man. I haven't thought of that toy in a decade. Mine got destroyed by battery acid when I was like eight.:frowning:

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
In my parents garage, boxed up and safe, are my old Star Wars figures (original series), my old GI Joe (some good ones), some of the better and harder to find transformers, and various other cool toys.
The only ones I keep with me in storage are my original Laser Tag sets and my best comic books. Maybe it's time to sell some of those old Spider Man comics now? :D
I also had an Alien doll, which has disappeared.
I really missed my Micronauts. Anyone remember those?
NO WAY! I totally remember those. Those were one of my favorite toys when I was a kid. I'd pay money to get some of those back now. Apparently they were re-released for a while, but they didn't look as good as the originals, so I didn't pick any of them up.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Wow Man, This thread reminds me of this time that I was rummage-sale shopping back in Chino. Some crazy-woman was selling all sorts of swank toys for way-below value. I snatched-up just about everything I could for about $100 in tens, and then sold it all on Ebay. I made of with about $450 in phat profits!:D
Ps: This was a joke. I didn't buy any of your old toys. If that happened to me, the houses next owners would find her skeletal remians in the secptic tank:angry:

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
Now that I'm grown up I can buy grown up toys. Today my authentic, officially licensed, limited edition (344/1500) Han Solo blaster prop replica from Master Replicas arrived. It is a wonder to behold. No parental unit is going to throw this toy away. And as long as I'm single, no spousal unit will throw it away either.

Earl J

Stunt Coordinator
Wow Man, This thread reminds me of this time that I was rummage-sale shopping back in Chino. Some crazy-woman was selling all sorts of swank toys for way-below value. I snatched-up just about everything I could for about $100 in tens, and then sold it all on Ebay. I made of with about $450 in phat profits!
LOL!!! Atleast give me back my Optimus Prime Transformer! He's my favorite!

Earl

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
When I was little, probably around 11 or so don't know for sure, I came home one day to find my mom had thrown away two posters from Mad Magazine. She had also thrown away my "Empire Strikes Back" poster. :frowning: I was so pissed. Just like that, she felt like the room would be better without them, I don't know why, they were up on the wall so they didn't take up any space. Grrrrr. I still haven't really forgiven her for that.
Several years later I came home to find that she had used one of the t-shirts I had bought at a concert (Gary Moore, by the way, great guitarist) as a wash rag. Argh again, although that at least made more sense than throwing away the posters.
Moms. "Can't live with 'em, pass the beernuts".

Steve Peterson

Stunt Coordinator
Also, is there a market for the old die cast tractors? I have some from my childhood (assuming dad hasen't thrown them out) and I was wondering what kind of value they hold.
My diecast John Deere tractor from the early 70s can currently be had in antique store for $150 to $200 depending on condition. Older ones go for even more. The one I'm really wondering about is my Tonka Road Scraper. I've never seen another one like it and I can't find it in the Tonka price guides (most stop at 1969).

Steve "Thank God for pack rat moms. I've still gor my Atari, Tonka trucks and Legos." Peterson

Earl J

Stunt Coordinator
So I called mom to check if any of my toys are still remaining. Apparently all that's left are my Hulk Hogan and Andre the Giant, WWF action figures and my Lego's. :angry:
I used to love lego's and I think that they're great to let kids experiment with their creative side. You go to toy stores now a days and it seems that lego's are mostly used to build "specific" sets like space stations and stuff. So much for creativity. If I wanted to put something together to look like the cover of a box, I'd buy puzzles.
Earl

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
Hey Scott
Yep that ole Big Track still works although the batteries cost as much as a DVD. Guess where the money goes :)
Still have the instruction book too. My mom collected it and stored it away when I was much younger and I'm glad she did. I went through a phase of burning toys for a while and that thing may have ended up a victim of my young stupidity.
I had a bunch of Dinky toys as well as some die cast metal airliners (my dad bought them at Goldsmith's in downtown Memphis during the 70's before it became part of Dayton-Hudson or whatever they are now. I had an American 747 (100 series I guess based on that time period), a Delta Douglas DC-9 and some kind of Eastern yellow 727. Great detailed toys with retractable landing gear and they were pretty large. The 747 was about 9 inches long.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Hey Earl, I hear ya on the Lego issue. I remember when I was little I LOVED to play with Lego, the generic pieces that would build into anything (well, anything I could build at least, so it mostly became houses, cars and guns :)).
Then they started releasing the "model kits", which I got a few of. They were so boring compared to the generic ones, because once I'd built the model, well that was that. I usually built it once, then tore it down so I could use the parts for more houses, cars and guns. :)
/Mike

Earl J

Stunt Coordinator
Then they started releasing the "model kits", which I got a few of. They were so boring compared to the generic ones, because once I'd built the model, well that was that. I usually built it once, then tore it down so I could use the parts for more houses, cars and guns.
Glad to see that it's not just me. When I have kids, I'll be sure to give them the generic pieces. I'll say, "Hey kids, can you build Daddy's big screen tv with your lego's?" Hmmm, I wonder if I could build a cool component rack with my lego set? :D
Earl

Scott Van Dyke

Supporting Actor
I usually built it once, then tore it down so I could use the parts for more houses, cars and guns.
lol

That was hilareous.

All that remains of my chilhood fortune is a suitcase full of Legos, and my match box cars/hot wheels. My sister in law wanted me to give them to her kid as a birthday present one year. A suitcase full of my old legos.

Think I'll be holding on to them.

Anybody remember these?

Capsella

RC cars that only would turn in reverse, one way.

Weeblo people/cars/village

Sit n' spin

Toobee (Part of an aluminum can, thrown like a football)

Track ball

WildFire (digital handheld pinball game)

Have I given away my age yet?

Jeff Braddock

Second Unit
Amen on the Legos! I think somewhere in our closet I have a watch that was not only a watch, but a double dragon game as well. You could jump, punch, and kick. It was great!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
How about Light Brite? Merlin? Lincoln Logs? :D
I still have most of my Legos too!
*edit oops missed the second l

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
Lincoln Logs were awesome! I used to build huge houses with them and pretend it was a hide out for my GI Joe's. In fact, I still do...um...er....:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks