What's new

The, "What ever happened to my cool toys?" thread (1 Viewer)

Earl J

Stunt Coordinator
So I go off to college years ago and my mom decides that my room should become her new office (without telling me). I come home after my freshman year and to my surprise, all of my cool childhood stuff are all gone. Apparently she felt that I didn't need any of those cool toys that I grew up with and had a yard sale. Here's the list of items that she sold:

1)Entire Transformers collection: I had every single transformer except for one Dinobot. Sold them for $2 each!

2)Original star wars toys: Had most pieces, some still in packaging. Even had the cool Darth Vader carrying case. I don't even want to mention how much she sold them for. Lets just say they were cheaper than the transformers.

3)GI Joe: see #1

4)Original Atari game system with 30 games: $25 for everything!

5)Commodore 64 with over 40 games: $50

Other toys just magically disappeared. I was just wondering if anyone else had similar stories.....

Earl

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I've also had toys that magically disappeared: Transformers, Star Wars, He-Man, and Voltron.

~T

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
Holy Shit! I would be so pissed that I would probably go postal. I've had similar things done, but nothing to that extreme. I had a whole bunch of Star Wars toys, GI Joes and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles that my mom tried to give away once, but luckily I caught it in time and "educated" her. I feel your pain. I bet the guys at the yard sale were happy enough though.

Julie K

Screenwriter
This is sad. Just like the other thread with the re-arranged living room, this shows an appalling lack of respect. I could understand her calling you and saying "Take this stuff out of the house now or I'll sell it." but to just sell it without any previous mention is just plain wrong.

Kraig Lang

Stunt Coordinator
I can see your points, same thing happened to a lot of my old toys. Luckily I didn't get into comics until I got older, at which time I was able to impress upon the family that they needed to be stored, not sold.

Earl J

Stunt Coordinator
Well with the money she got from my toys and other "junk" she was able to buy the sewing machine she had always wanted. Brought a tear to her eye. How can I get mad after seeing that? Never could get mad at her.....:)
Hey, where'd my bike go?!
Earl

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
She could have sold just a fraction of your toys at their actual collector value to get that sewing machine...

Shawn C

Screenwriter
I had a Fisher SC-300 boombox with the built-in keyboard on top. Somehow it disappeared.

I found one on EBay last year that was still in the box and was in absolutely mint condition.

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
It's not so much the action that pisses me off, it's that she sold those things without doing any research as to their current value. Just think about all of the money you lost!! :angry:

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
Guess mom won't be getting anything for Mothers' Day today, huh?

My mom did a similar thing when I was really, really young. She thought I had "outgrown" my paper doll collection - so she pitched them in the trash. I was simply devastated! I think that's why, in my adulthood, I collect paperdolls by artist, Tom Tierney.

Good thing I hid my Barbies! :p)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
My first wife threw away my original one-sheet poster of Zardoz. I know all too well how it feels to be violated. Seriously.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
My Mom wouldn't dare sell my Star Wars stuff...or she'd pay the ultimate penalty :) hehe.

Gary Harris

Stunt Coordinator
When my sons were younger I bought a bag of die-cast Dungeons & Dragons figures (around 50 ranging in size from large to small)from a woman at a flea market for $10. She said her son went off to university & she cleaned his room & decided to get rid of some of his junk.

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
When I was younger, my mom had a habit of giving my toys away to other little kids. She figured if I hadn't played with them for awhile then I didn't want them. It took a session of crying (I was like 8, give me a break) over a given away toy before she finally realized what she was doing was wrong.

This should be a lesson to parents. I don't throw away ANY of my daughter's toys. They are her toys, period. She is a pack rat like I was and keeps EVERYTHING. I have impressed upon her, however, that when her room fills up she will be getting no more toys until some others go. She gets to make the decision, though.

Frederick

Second Unit
I always tried to keep up with my toys. The things that she'd throw away were usually broken already, or the things that came with the toys, like guns and missles and such that she'd always manage to step on regardless to where they were. Man, those little GI Joe guns hurt!

She'd throw away things my little brother and I "created" from broken toys, though. When we figured out we could make a new GI Joe toy from two broken ones with a screw driver, we had mutants all over the place!

Freddy C.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member

Ryan Potts

Stunt Coordinator
ok, I've got to admit that I tried to get rid of my original sw toys years ago, fortunately, my dad was a little smarter than I. He managed to keep them from selling (I believe that's the story)

Anyway, I managed to keep my darth vader case and several well played with figures (not to rub anything in) and convince myself not to get rid of 'em.

now that's not to say that didn't get rid of some stuff along the way that I wish I hadn't now.....

StephenK

Stunt Coordinator
Not sure if this counts, but I came back from freshman year to discover that Mom & Dad decided I didn't need my comics anymore.....

Over 2,000 comics including the entire run of X-men, from 1974 to 1983.

Also threw away my "toys" which didn't really bother me but for some reason, I really missed my Micronauts. Anyone remember those?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks