What's new

The Typo Patrol (1 Viewer)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
From a "font thread" I was reading this evening...
The description for putting in a font size says:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This allows you to set a font size for your posts. Note: This is font size not point size. So a standard font size would be 2 and not 12. If you use something like a size of 12 your font size will be to big.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Should be, "too big".

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Jim:
You are way too anal and need to find something else to do with your time. This is not too bad of a thing. If two people such as yourself and David (in another thread) can be too picky then it must need to be changed. :)
The to is changed to a too where it was needed to be.
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

(This is all too funny if you ask me!)
Parker

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Parker,
Thought these corrections were being solicited so we would all look a tad more professional and literate. I can find something else too doo. :D
Jim

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Jim:
Why in the world would we want to look more professional and literate around here? :)
Seriously, thanks for the heads up on my too many mistakes with the to's.
Parker

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
My only complaint at this point (although, granted, I haven't been looking that hard :D) is that "home theater" is hyphenated in all of the forum descriptions, but "Home Theater Forum" itself is not, nor should it be. I suppose it's a consistency issue more than anything else.
I guess I could take issue with the double hyphen in place of an em dash in some of the descriptions, but I understand the reasons for doing so; the character code ( & # 151 ; ) doesn't translate correctly in all fonts, Verdana (under Windows) being one of them.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
David:

When two adjectives modify a noun as a compound modifying phrase, they are hyphenated. As in, "He just can't seem to satisfy his never-ending, home-theater needs." But when the same two words are themselves the noun, no hyphenation is needed: "I just can't get enough of home theater."

For reference, please turn to the Chicago Manual of Style, the AP Stylebook, Fowler, as well as Strunk and White's Elements of Style.

JB

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Actually,
I need to correct Jack on one issue. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT get an AP Stylebook. It will drive you insane.
There are documented cases in journalism schools around the country of the Ap Style book being cruel and unusual punishment.
;)
-Vince

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I know what you mean, Vince. There's an AP Stylebook sitting just two feet from me as I type, and it's sneering at me. Hate the thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks