What's new

The typical christmas nightmare (1 Viewer)

m0ng0

Auditioning
Real Name
John
I have had an Onkyo htr 540 7.1 receiver for a couple of years and my wife just bought us a new 32" tv (Insignia NS-32L450A11) and a Panasonic Blu Ray (DMP-BD85K) since it had the analog outs for 7.1 sound I figured I would be golden. So I used an HDMI between the tv and blu ray, then plugged in all the rca's going to all the surround inputs on my Onkyo amp. When I play a disk everything seems to work just fine in 7.1, when I try to watch tv I get no sound from the amp at all. I hope I am missing something easy as I dont know what else needs to be in the chain. TV to Blu Ray via hdmi, blu ray to amp via analog outs?

Any ideas ?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
For regular TV, you need to connect the TV to the receiver via the best connection which is usually optical. If you are using a cable box or satellite receiver then you need to connect that to the receiver instead of the TV.

m0ng0

Auditioning
Real Name
John
ok this is getting very frustrating, when i watch a blu ray using the setup listed above, i get all the sounds except the dialog, I get dialog even when watching the previews, but not on the actual movie, someone please help before my wife kills me !

mikeabt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
John,

If you are running only 7.1 analog out of the blu-ray, then it must be a plug-in issue at the BD player or at the back of the reciever. Concentrate on the front/center where dialog is typically generated. That would be the first move to make. Then it could be in the set-up of the BD player - making sure that you acknowledge the center front channel in the set-up screen.

Previews are probably not in 7.1 discrete. Movie is.

Try that and get back.

m0ng0

Auditioning
Real Name
John
thanks,

I will re check everything again :D also when I do a speaker test using the blu ray menus only the right front channel gives that buzzing sound the rest are completely silent :-/

mikeabt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
When I do "the test" on my Toshiba BD player I get funky playback as well. However, performance is fine. I have come to not trust those.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks