What's new

The Twilight Time News and Info Thread (3 Viewers)

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Oh well still waiting for King Creole, that is if TT can get rights to it.
But the Three Stooges films and The Mad Magician comin from TT in Jan-Feb make this release worthwhile.

Note: Back in 1979 at the Base Theater, USMC MGAGCC, 29 Palms CA, I went to see Interiors (playing to a full audience). I made it about halfway thru before finally walking out. By that time the theater was 2/3 empty.
Just not our cup of tea.

Last edited:

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Today I watched TT's DVD of La Mujer Obsesionada aka Woman Obsessed. I haven't bought a DVD of a movie in I don't know how long, but it was included as part of TT's 7 for $70 sale, and given my fondness for movies from the 1950s—as well as Hayward and Boyd—I gave it a go. The title seemed off track from the actual subject of the movie, but the movie itself was gripping in its own strange way throughout imho. Boyd, as we all remember, was so compelling in Ben-Hur, and this movie was filmed either just before or just after, and so he looks almost exactly like he did in that colossal epic. Hayward is always compelling, and has some very tough choices in this comparatively intimate movie. The ending was a little ??? for me after all that had happened, but it made me think. Child actor Dennis Holmes was surprisingly good—which was really key for this movie. Anyway, PQ on DVD is obviously miles from what we are all used to now with blu-ray. Sit far back from the screen lol! But otherwise this one is recommended.

I think that a lot of TT's movies are maybe picked by TT because of the arduous emotional journeys they explore. But TT has such a wide range of movies that it's very difficult to generalize....

12636.jpg

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben

"I was bruised and battered, I couldn't tell what I felt
I was unrecognizable to myself
Saw my reflection in a window and didn't know my own face
Oh brother are you gonna leave me wastin' away
On the streets of Philadelphia

I walked the avenue, 'til my legs felt like stone,
I heard the voices of friends, vanished and gone,
At night I could hear the blood in my veins,
It was just as black and whispering as the rain,
On the streets of Philadelphia

Ain't no angel gonna greet me
It's just you and I my friend
And my clothes don't fit me no more,
A thousand miles
Just to slip this skin..."

Difficult to believe it's been almost 25 years since the movie Philadelphia came out. I hadn't seen it since the theatrical release, and I wasn't sure if I'd still be moved by it. But Tom Hanks, Denzel Washington, the rest of the fine cast, an intelligent, sensitive and realistic screenplay, and fine direction by Jonathan Demme—plus that great Springsteen song–still got me reaching for the kleenex after all these years. Another fine release from Twilight time.

Philadelphia-1993-Front-Cover-80368.jpg

Last edited:

Jimbo64

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim Potter
The last remark I remember on FB about The Lion in Winter was that they were hoping for a remaster or restoration, I assumed at that time that there were issues with the elements available

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
The last remark I remember on FB about The Lion in Winter was that they were hoping for a remaster or restoration, I assumed at that time that there were issues with the elements available

I believe that StudioCanal has just released or about to release in Europe what they call a digital restoration. I believe that TT would like to utilize this restoration for their release.

Last edited:

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Yesterday on TT's Facebook page I asked if there was a chance they would release any Paramount titles in the future—and they liked the comment!++

One of my favorite comedies of the 1950s is the Paramount film The Court Jester, starring Danny Kaye. It was filmed in VistaVision, and looks very good to me in the streaming version that's been available for a few years now....

6776213224_6d36b899b2_b.jpg

Last edited:

Quatermass II

Second Unit
Real Name
John Hayes
Yesterday on TT's Facebook page I asked if they were likely to release any Paramount titles in the future—and they liked the comment!++

One of my favorite comedies of the 1950s is the Paramount film The Court Jester, starring Danny Kaye. It was filmed in VistaVision, and looks very good to me in the streaming version that's been available for a few years now....
6776213224_6d36b899b2_b.jpg
Absolutely agree - would buy this film on Blu ray without hesitation. One of the three best films Danny Kaye ever made, along with Secret Life Of Walter Mitty and Merry Andrew - which would also be on my 'must have' list

Last edited:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Oh well still waiting for King Creole, that is if TT can get rights to it.
But the Three Stooges films and The Mad Magician comin from TT in Jan-Feb make this release worthwhile.

Note: Back in 1979 at the Base Theater, USMC MGAGCC, 29 Palms CA, I went to see Interiors (playing to a full audience). I made it about halfway thru before finally walking out. By that time the theater was 2/3 empty.
Just not our cup of tea.

I have never been able to warm up to this film. It just seems overly stylized and derivative of Bergman (not, in my opinion, in a good way) and therefore pretentious. Maltin gives this 3 1/2 stars...I give it (maybe) 2. I get filmmakers paying homage to other, better directors, but this didn't work for me. STARDUST MEMORIES has grown on me over the years as a tip of the hat to Fellini, and I have always liked SHADOWS AND FOG, a nod to German expressionism, but INTERIORS leaves me cold, in spite of its very strong cast. I also just can't get into A MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S SEX COMEDY. But you have to give Woody credit for trying new things.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
so am i reading this right? they may be soon releasing or have a selection of paramount titles that could be forthcoming? love that idea , some very solid films that definitely need released "ahem" Court Jester. or Franco Zeffirelli's Romeo and Juliet. thinking isolated score!

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
so am i reading this right? they may be soon releasing or have a selection of paramount titles that could be forthcoming? love that idea , some very solid films that definitely need released "ahem" Court Jester. or Franco Zeffirelli's Romeo and Juliet. thinking isolated score!

I wouldn't get excited until TT announces something. They have also said they would like to have a deal with Universal, but that still has not happened. I'm sure they would like a deal with Paramount.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Has anybody received their October 11th releases yet? My order still hasn't shipped and it's getting pretty annoying with such delays. Is there a problem?

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Has anybody received their October 11th releases yet? My order still hasn't shipped and it's getting pretty annoying with such delays. Is there a problem?

I got a note 5 days ago that my order is "Awaiting Fulfillment."

You probably saw this, but on their website they say of these titles: "Available for pre-order. Release date was October 11th. but the title is delayed until October 17th."

Iirc, I think TT said on their FB page that they had a manufacturing delay or some such thing.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
TT's manufacturer (Technicolor formerly Cinram) started manufacturing discs in Mexico, which has added some delays. As far as I am aware, all orders are now shipping (mine shipped Monday)

J. Casey

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Glad to hear it! Mine is still listed as "awaiting fulfillment" this morning. I totally understand their frustration with Technicolor/Cinram's antics.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks