What's new

The Truth About Charlie - due 4/1103 (1 Viewer)

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor
Universal Home Home Entertainment will release The Truth About Charlie on April 1st. The film was directed by Jonathan Demme and stars Mark Wahlberg, Thandie Newton, and Tim Robbins. Universal's DVD will come with an anamorphic widescreen transfer, Dolby Digital 5.1 audio, an audio commentary with Demme, deleted scenes, a making-of featurette, and trailers. The disc will also contain the original Carey Grant/Audrey Hepburn classic Charade. Retail is $26.98.

Universal has also issued some preliminary details on Red Dragon. The release will come in two editions: a Collector's Edition (with separate widescreen and fullscreen releases) and a 2-disc Director's Edition. The Collector's Edition will feature, among other things, an interview with Anthony Hopkins, renowned FBI profiler John Douglas creating Hannibal Lecter's criminal file, a history of Lecter's life from childhood, and Lecter's FBI file and case history. The 2-disc Director's Edition will also include "behind-the-scenes secrets and insights by the director on the making of this thriller." A full list of extras for both versions should be coming soon. Red Dragon is also due on April 1st and retails $26.98.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Charade included?! Went from a no-sale to a must-buy . . . if it's an anamorphic transfer that is at least on par with the current Criterion non-anamorphic.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Hmm Charlie and Charade on One disk? Even with all the extras? I Sense Charade will be mightily compressed.

Clinton C

Stunt Coordinator
i would imagine it will be double sided with Charade on the flip side...or at least it should be

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
That's brave of Demme. Watching The Truth About Charlie after watching Charade is akin to watching the 1998 version of Psycho after the 1960 version.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Agreed. CHARLIE is a terrible movie, Demme's worst, a waste of time. Buy the Criterion CHARADE and skip this, even as a rental.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Even though Criterion's CHARADE is one of my most-prized discs, I wouldn't mind adding an anamorphic transfer alongside of it. I didn't see the remake, so I'll reserve judgment for now. ;)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I didn't see that "the disc" phrase. I assumed it would be two discs. I'll wait for reviews. At least I have the Criterion edition.

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor
"Charlie" is going to be a one-disc affair. Two movies and bonus features... I'd be worried about compression.

But since Universal doesn't send out screeners anymore, we'll just have to wait for the fireworks closer to street date.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Someone else has... There's the Criterion version, and I think there's also a LaserLight version kicking around.

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
Also, the Criterion is OOP, even though it's probably easier to find still than a lot of other OOP Criterion DVDs. But I also wouldn't mind a Criterion-quality transfer in 16x9.

-Christian

Jeremy Conrad

Supporting Actor

Collector's Edition
The criminal profile of Hannibal Lecter - renowned profiler John Douglas' theories on how Hannibal Lecter and real serial killer are profiled
The life history of Hannibal Lecter from childhood to present day
Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal Lecter
Commentary by director Brett Ratner and writer Ted Tally
Deleted scenes, DVD-ROM features and much more!
2-Disc Director's Edition
Disc 1
The criminal profile of Hannibal Lecter - renowned profiler John Douglas' theories on how Hannibal Lecter and real serial killer are profiled
The life history of Hannibal Lecter from childhood to present day
Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal Lecter
Commentary by director Brett Ratner and writer Ted Tally
Deleted scenes, DVD-ROM features and much more!
Disc 2
Director Brett Ratner's video diary - A rare look at the film production
Brett Ratner's untitled student film - His first film from NYU Film School
Screen and film tests
The dragon tattoo
Storyboard to final feature comparisons

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
it's a single DVD-14.

Charade on flip single layer.
anamorphic (helps with pans).
no restoration.
no extras.
sound is encoded differently (better).
chapter breaks are different.
colour is cooler.

the criterion opening titles are windowboxed.
colours are warmer, but panning blurs.

get the new one if you don't have the old one.
I'm selling my old one for $20.

Charlie - was this shot on DV? The colours are 'off'. And frame rate doesn't look like film. Looks 'cheap', but still better than Far From Heaven.

sound is decent.
movie - on par with Charade, but best thing about it was female cop and music.

mark whalberg ain't no Cary Grant, just younger.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks