What's new

The Tragically Hip (1 Viewer)

LawrenceZ

Stunt Coordinator
Just wondering what the American perception of the Tragically Hip is. They're probably the single most popular band in Canada and I get the impression that most Americans either haven't heard of them or don't know what all the fuss is about.

I'm excited because I just got front row center tickets to their concert here in Calgary in September (seen them three times, never been that close before).

While they can normally sell out a 16000 seat stadium in a matter of hours here, they are playing smaller venues this time. The auditorium they are playing here seats 2700.

LawrenceZ

Stunt Coordinator
I only ever seen them at large shows, twice at the Saddledome in Calgary (about 16000) and once at the Another Roadside Attraction festival (about 20000). I'm really looking forward to seeing them at this smaller show.

Mavrick

Auditioning
I have seen the Hip 5 or 6 times in Grand Rapids Mi at a smaller club, and I have to say they put on some great shows.On their last tour they plyed 2 nights with different set lists each night and a alot of different songs. Always enjoyed the Canadian fans that travel here to these shows as well.I for the life of me cannot understand why they are not bigger in the USA,they are proably one of the best rock bands in the last 10 years,always putting out good albums.
This is the first time they have not scheduled a stop on a tour...I guess all good things have to end ..

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
They won't be coming within 200 miles of me on this tour, sadly. I saw them on the Phantom Power and Music@Work tours, with attendance under 1000 in each case.
I've always enjoyed the fact that they had other Canadian acts open for them on the past tours; I probably would have never learned of The Watchmen or Chris Brown & Kate Fenner had it not been for The Hip, since neither of them get airplay here (no matter how much I complain).
The new album continues to grow on me; while I think the first track is the worst opening track they've ever recorded, "It's A Good Life If You Don't Weaken" is fast becoming one of my favorite Hip songs ever (I know it's the first Canadian single, but the local independent station chose "The Darkest One" instead). I may have to look into the remaining Chicago or Cleveland shows, although recent developments may make the New Orleans show a possibility as well. Wish me luck. ;)

Mavrick

Auditioning
One of the things I have found when listening to any new releases from TTH is you can never judge their albums on the first few listens.
I remember when Trouble In The Henhouse came out , my first impressions were that they finally made a mediocre recording, but after hearing it over a span of about 6 months it grew on me to the point that it now is one of my favorite recordings that I have ever heard by anyone .
Seems like that is the case,(at least for me) on all of their albums,they get better the more you listen.....
Good luck seeing them live,they always deliver in concert.............

KrisM

Second Unit
I agree about the newer albums taking some time to grow on you. Up To Here, Road Apples(my favorite) and Fully Completly I liked instantly, but the others all took some time, especially Day For Night which I really didn't like at first but now love.
The funny thing with Trouble In The Henhouse, it never did grow on me and I still don't like it, but I have a concert from the tour(not Live Between Us) that is mostly Henhouse songs and listen to it all the time.
The Hip in a small venue is a way better experience. I've seen them three times and the show I saw in bar with a capacity of about 150 was by far the most enjoyable for me. Not to mention more affordable.:)
I still don't know why they, along with others like 13 Engines, 54-40 and The Watchmen, were never really popular in the States.
NP-Paul Reddick and The Sidemen-Rattlebag
Regards KrisM

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks