What's new

The Three Musketeers and The Four Musketeers 4K UHD (1 Viewer)

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I'm not questioning that, only saying the soundtrack album may not be the best reference.
The best reference then would be a NTSC DVD?

edit: Oh, I see here he has checked with a PAL VHS.
So, if the PAL VHS and the UHD have the same pitch, there is a pitch issue in the UHD?

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
The best reference then would be a NTSC DVD?

edit: Oh, I see here he has checked with a PAL VHS.
So, if the PAL VHS and the UHD have the same pitch, there is a pitch issue in the UHD?
Well if the sound on the PAL VHS was pitch corrected then they would be the same. I'm not sure if I'd even notice a 4% lower pitch.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
StudioCanal releases rarely get subsequent Stateside releases; there are exceptions, of course. Lionsgate do occasionally release the same masters in the US (e.g. The Man Who Fell To Earth) and Criterion have released the StudioCanal restored 4K UHD Le Cercle Rouge and will be releasing Breathless. But StudioCanal's Vintage Classics 4K UHD The Ladykillers has not been published over the pond. Neither has the 4K UHD of Ran. The 4K UHD Elephant Man is only available in Europe, as well as Don't Look Now. And Criterion passed on the 4K UHD of The Servant.

The UHD of Ran was released in the US, by Lionsgate.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I received the Musketeer 4K movies today, two days before expected (fastest shipping from U.K. I've ever experienced), and I totally love the image quality. Beautiful color (I don't believe, even seeing this in two different theaters when it was released, that the capes of the Cardinal's guards looked remotely as red and saturated as they are here), very clear sound (I was able to understand some dialog that had always been fuzzy on video before), the gorgeous music score on the 2.0 mono track is quite robust), and the picture is sharp and detailed. Studio Canal finally got this one right. I therefore double-down on my initial recommendation of the film in post #3!

Regarding pitch -- I've viewed this film more often than I can count, and the sound was a-okay to my ears. The disc running time is the intended 107+ minutes.

Now, onto THE FOUR MUSKETEERS, which I've no reason to believe won't look and sound equally excellent.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I saw both films yesterday and didn't for one second catch that there was anything amiss. Which isn't saying there might be something in the audio pitch, but would not be perceptible to normal human beings. But Michael York sounded exactly as Michael York should sound and Raquel Welsh sounded exactly as Raquel Welsh should.

Checked on a couple of other sites....no, they weren't worried either.

I just watched Three Musketeers. I noticed particularly Geraldine Chaplin’s voice seemed high pitched as well as Faye Dunaway. It sounded similar to a pal speed up, but I thought to myself there’s no way that was possible… But I guess there is. The running time is correct.
The sound on the Four Musketeers is much better

Henry Gondorff

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill
I just watched Three Musketeers. I noticed particularly Geraldine Chaplin’s voice seemed high pitched as well as Faye Dunaway. It sounded similar to a pal speed up, but I thought to myself there’s no way that was possible… But I guess there is. The running time is correct.
Do both films have English SDH subtitles?

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I've just tried The Four Musketeers, & the sound is a bit bright, but I wouldn't have noticed otherwise. I don't know what reason they'd have to raise the pitch, unless their kit is on the wrong settings.

Last edited:

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
Both these films were released in 4 track mag stereo in london, shame they could not find the stereo tracks.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
It would have been decent of the company to have put Roy Kinnear's name on the box.

I'm sure spilchk would turn it into "Greg" but that's As Good as it Gets ...;)
Given what happened in the third film, would have been very decent indeed, but I wonder if it was some arcane condition of the settlement.

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
I would love to know why both of these looks so "Blown out" It seems to be a problem with the original negative. I have seen some fair David Wakins prints in the Theatre, but his work is super most of the time (Yentel) I would guess they cut corners somewhere down the line? The shame is these would be beautiful movies if we got better lab work.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks