What's new

The Three/Four Musketeers (1974) in 16x9!! (1 Viewer)

RickardL

Supporting Actor
while looking up the Near Dark entry at anchor bay, I noticed
this (for 2002 release):

MUSKETEERS COLLECTION, THE
From director Richard Lester comes the original swashbuckling comedy THE THREE MUSKETEERS and its worthy sequel THE FOUR
MUSKETEERS in a special 2-Disc Set. Widescreen (16x9), Theatrical Trailers, All-New Featurette with Cast Interviews, Original Behind-The-Scenes Featurette, and more!. Closed Captioned for the Hearing Impaired.

Great!! These movies look good in widescreen, let's hope
that they do a good job with the sound.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I hope these are 1.85:1. The Fox Lorber abominations were about 1.50:1, and several truly funny gags were lost on the sides of the screen, as Richard Lester composed very tightly and used every inch of frame area. The AMC letterbox showings seemed much better (rmeember the days when AMC ran widescreen and actually was a good channel?)

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I have the Fox Lorber versions of these 2 DVDs. But new versions with new extras & the correct OAR would be bought immediately.:b

Tomoko Noguchi

Second Unit
I have the Japanese 16x9 versions which are in 1:85. However, the IMDB says the original OAR is 2:35. What is correct? Quick check at IMDB and now it says OAR was 1:66 on the technical listing. I know I read it at IMDB before it was 2:35. Hmmm.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I was always tempted to buy those Fox Lorber DVD's because I love these movies, but never gave in because of the lack of anamorphic enhancement and the generally negative things I've heard about the quality. Now I'm happy I waited!

Douglas Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Douglas Bailey
Is there a release date yet?
The web site just lists it in "September - December 2002," with the possibility that the date might slip.
But whenever these come out, I'll be there: they're brilliant films, and I would love to have them in properly mastered editions. Kudos to Anchor Bay, and thanks to RickardL for posting the good news!
(I wonder if they'll still use a copy of The Four Musketeers with the French titles, the way Fox Lorber did.)
doug

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The Fox Lorber DVDs are terrible. They are in a 1.66:1 ratio, but they are cropped on all four sides compared to the 1.85:1 presentations I have seen on broadcast cable (at least for the scenes where I synced them up). How does one go about creating a 1.66:1 transfer of a film shot flat and actually show less top and bottom information than a 1.85:1 transfer? Only the folks at Fox Lorber circa 1998 will ever know, and they are hopefully either not working there anymore or are a lot smarter than they were then.

If Anchor Bay does in fact release these titles, I will be first in line to purchase them.

Regards,

David Lawrence

Stunt Coordinator
Superb movies, and it helps that Raquel Welch is hotter than hell in them ;). I've only ever seen these in 1.33:1 so I'm looking forward to seeing the whole picture.
Does anyone know of any word on a release of the much-inferior third movie, The Return of the Musketeers?

Tomoko Noguchi

Second Unit
My question still is, what is the OAR of this film? Is it indeed 1:85? If so, then I am staying with my Japanese release which has the films on 1 disc.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Well, I sure hope this is happening! I have the Fox Lorber's, but it's terrible cropping! My favorite scene with D'Artagnan's introductory letter is ruined because he's cut off when he leans on that revolving book wheel.

I saw the "Three" and "Four Musketeers" a combined total of about 12 times at the theatre and absolutely need a better DVD version!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks