What's new

THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD- 1951- restored sequences (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Wade Williams
The newly restored cut footage from the original release release of THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD came from my 35MM print. which I loaned to Warners almost a decade ago. It was the full frame version, not the 1954 re-release. The original negative and fine grain was lost in a vault fire and the only remaining 35MM elements were from the 1954 re-release. which was shortened for a double bill with STATIONS WEST.

It was common practice for companies like RKO and Paramount to sell their used 35MM prints after the initial release, overseas to independent distributors or their exchanges. This is where all the original 1951 usable prints were sent
My print came from Australia from a collector that had owned it from 1953.It is full frame and totally complete and extremely rare since none of the 1951 prints were used in the 1954 and 1957 re-releases. In 1951 a 16MM negative was made from the full length fine grain for Canadian theatrical distribution and later for TV. A few of these were floating around decades ago. The aspect ratio for the 1954 release was cropped on the top and bottom for Wide-Screen ratio that changed in many films in1953 when Cinemascope started. Another reason the full frame 1951 prints were never used and re-cut for the 1954 re-release.
I did not see the film until 1954, the shortened version and loved it. After looking at the longer version I felt the cuts were expertly made and the film moved at a better pace although character development in the long version changed the complexion of the film somewhat. I preferred the shorter version but wanted to see what was cut.

There was no scene ever shot with the men hanging upside down in the greenhouse according to Robert Cornwaith who played the scientist Dr. Carrington who was a guest in 2001 at the 50th anniversary of the film at the Englewood Theatre
in Independence, Mo in which this print was exhibited.

Prints in 35MM of the 1954 version are rare because of the VS syndrome that started when the prints were rejuvinated by RKO and used for the 1957 re-release. This scratch removal process usually starts the VS which shrinks the base and eventually renders prints junk.
Warners made a new dupe negative from the 1951 print so the restored footage should match the rest of the print. I have not looked at the new restored DVD yet.

Wade Williams

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
There can't be any doubt that Warner Bros. is fully aware of a huge fan base out here waiting for a Blu-ray of THE THING. Apparently they are seeking better elements for the "restored" footage Mr. Williams makes mention of, but it seems unlikely they will stumble across it anywhere. I have always felt that it would be completely acceptable to most of us for them to give us the slightly edited edition (running just a few minutes shorter) in HD and put the restored material in as a bonus supplement. So far, it seems they disagree. I'm sure there is at least one thread somewhere in here about this argument, and many individual posts scattered throughout other threads about it, but in this case, WB has been ignoring us.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
I agree with the enthusiastic posts above.

Mr Williams, last year you mentioned that restoration was being planned for Invaders From Mars and Destination Moon. Could you please also share whether any progress has been made in that direction?

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed
You did the right thing Wade. I hope WB can get the edited footage to a standard where they are satisfied to approve a HD master for eventual bluray release. I suppose they are unlikely to find another 35mm print at this stage, and condition may be no better if they do. We are lucky a print like that survives at all.

It's always much appreciated when private collectors and studios can work together to ensure a film survives in the most complete and highest quality.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
And The Crawling Eye, The Hideous Sun Demon, The Brain from Planet Arous, The Lost Continent, Devil Girl from Mars, Kronos, Navy vs the Night Monsters, DOA, Impact... etc etc etc
Come on Wade, please get these titles in HD, make a TON of fans of these films happy ! :)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The newly restored cut footage from the original release release of THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD came from my 35MM print. which I loaned to Warners almost a decade ago. It was the full frame version, not the 1954 re-release. The original negative and fine grain was lost in a vault fire and the only remaining 35MM elements were from the 1954 re-release. which was shortened for a double bill with STATIONS WEST.

It was common practice for companies like RKO and Paramount to sell their used 35MM prints after the initial release, overseas to independent distributors or their exchanges. This is where all the original 1951 usable prints were sent
My print came from Australia from a collector that had owned it from 1953.It is full frame and totally complete and extremely rare since none of the 1951 prints were used in the 1954 and 1957 re-releases. In 1951 a 16MM negative was made from the full length fine grain for Canadian theatrical distribution and later for TV. A few of these were floating around decades ago. The aspect ratio for the 1954 release was cropped on the top and bottom for Wide-Screen ratio that changed in many films in1953 when Cinemascope started. Another reason the full frame 1951 prints were never used and re-cut for the 1954 re-release.
I did not see the film until 1954, the shortened version and loved it. After looking at the longer version I felt the cuts were expertly made and the film moved at a better pace although character development in the long version changed the complexion of the film somewhat. I preferred the shorter version but wanted to see what was cut.

There was no scene ever shot with the men hanging upside down in the greenhouse according to Robert Cornwaith who played the scientist Dr. Carrington who was a guest in 2001 at the 50th anniversary of the film at the Englewood Theatre
in Independence, Mo in which this print was exhibited.

Prints in 35MM of the 1954 version are rare because of the VS syndrome that started when the prints were rejuvinated by RKO and used for the 1957 re-release. This scratch removal process usually starts the VS which shrinks the base and eventually renders prints junk.
Warners made a new dupe negative from the 1951 print so the restored footage should match the rest of the print. I have not looked at the new restored DVD yet.

Wade Williams
I'm a little confused, "newly restored footage"? My DVD has the new footage and you can see the change in quality. The DVD was released years ago. What does newly restored mean? Is there another release I don't know about or a new release coming out soon?

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I'm a little confused, "newly restored footage"? My DVD has the new footage and you can see the change in quality. The DVD was released years ago. What does newly restored mean? Is there another release I don't know about or a new release coming out soon?

I think the "restored" refers to having deleted footage returned to the film proper, rather than any restoration in terms of PQ.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Now if someone would just come to a reasonable deal to restore Hannah Lee, Cat Women of the Moon, and Robot Monster in 3-D...

Don't think this is going to happen, knowing the attitude Mr. Williams maintains.

Last edited:

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Per the other forum, Warner Archive posted this on their Facebook page concerning the long version:

"We can confirm that the DVD released in 2003 was the last "real" master made on this film. This was created from a source made in 1999, subsequent to photo-chemical lab work done a year earlier. There has been no lab work done on this film in almost 20 years. While it is possible Mr. Williams did lend his print to the company for use on what resulted in the old DVD master, we cannot confirm this yet without further research, as documentation is needed to understand what was done, and the people involved with creating that master are no longer with our company.

The situation becomes more complicated by a 'quickie' transfer done for television about 13 years ago from the same elements that is 'tilt and scan' resulting in an inaccurate aspect ratio. This was sourced from the same film element that was used for the DVD. Work was done earlier in the '90s from even more inferior elements to try to create a complete version. This also adds to the confusion. While we have continued to research and sort all this out, we still hope to find better materials that will enable us to present the film on Blu-ray with the best-possible quality. Thanks"

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Hi Todd,

Please respond to our conversation. It's the icon between your name and Alerts icon in the upper right corner of your screen.

Thanks,

Roland

Real Name
Wade Williams
In response to several bloggers relative to the THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD missing sequences. The 1951 full version print I loaned to Warners Archive over a decade ago was sent to Bill Rush who was at that time in charge at the vaults. It was for the express purpose to make a complete restoration. When it was sent back I was told they made a new negative from the entire print which was and is 'FRAME PERFECT' with no warpage, and in safety film. I have had no reason to contact Warners since, even though we share rights on some |Lippert Pictures and they store the film elements for both parties. If they contact Bill Rush, if he is still at Warners, he can confirm what was used. Perhaps they only made a scan of the entire film and used it to harvest the missing footage for existing masters. I never inquired after the print was returned. In any event I have the print in the vault at this time.

On another note. INVADERS FROM MARS is in the pipeline, tests are being run on the 35MM neg and on the Cinecolor 35MM print master they made the 16MM reduction negative from to see what's the best.
If I don't get a license from an existing distributor it will be sold on Blu-Ray from our offices direct and Blue Dolphin in the UK will license europe and South America. I want the best possible restoration and results for this re-release. It is an important film and should be presented in the best possible way.

DESTINATION MOON , GALAXY INVADER, FLYING SAUCER, THE SULLIVANS aka FIGHTING SULLIVANS and the BUCK ROGERS serial (and the feature adaptations ) are being re-scanned for a Blu Ray release along with FLIGHT TO MARS.

My entire library was sub licensed to IMAGE until 2016 and they had a 6 month sell off after that. There has been some offers and lengthy negotiations with some top of the line distributors but we could not come to an agreement so we will again get back into the distribution business from Kansas City.

We will also re-release ROBOT MONSTER/ CAT WOMEN and HANNAH LEE in 3D and Blu-Ray in early 2018 if we do not license them to a distributor.

wade williams

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed
Very good to know Wade.

I particularly look forward to Destination Moon and the 3-D films, and there are a few other titles I would be interested in, some you named others not yet mentioned. Pay particular attention to how the 3-D films are mastered if the work is being handled by other than the 3D Film Archive. As you may know, synchronization and vertical alignment are crucial(among other issues), if one eye is out by a frame, or a fraction too high, or if the eyes are reversed, it is very detrimental to the effect.

I hope all goes well with these releases. I'd love to see these films looking terrific, and selling well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks