What's new

The Thing (1982) (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I haven't exactly kept up to date on that one.
As Winston says, you're not missing anything. The first was moderately OK, but I hated the second film so much I don't even want to watch the third (and I already bought the disc before I watched the second).

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I think The Thing is a truly terrific film, one of the best movies John Carpenter ever made, one of the best of its genre, of the 1980s, of Kurt Russell's career, and so on. I saw it when it came out and many times over the years and I have owned it in several incarnations, most recently on 4k disc.

I have not seen the prequel and don't really have any interest in it. I would similarly not plan on seeing any sequel. It's the rare movie that exists perfectly independently. It doesn't need anything else to enhance it. It should be left alone. (Like Jaws. Like the first two Alien movies, the first two Terminator movies. And so on.)

That said, I know it will not be. IP that is bought and sold - like The Thing - isn't serving its owners if it's not making money, so it seems another film is inevitable someday. I just won't be seeing it.

The prequel does a rare thing for a film like that in that it has absolutely no impact on the film it is connected to. They literally tell the story of what happened to the Norwegians leading right up to Carpenter's film. It is essentially a remake of Carpenter's film to some degree because we know going in that what happened there is the same thing that happens to MacReady and his gang. It has some of its own neat little moments and it actually has a good cast. So, if you had to make that film, well, they did a good job with it. It is definitely not one you need to avoid, I think watching it prior to a watch of Carpenter's film works just fine. It is a far better film than I would have ever imagined it to be.

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I believe Carpenter's film will get a sequel, in the hands of Blumhouse, there is a rather high potential of the sequel being pretty bad. I made it through all of their Halloween films but my opinion was, they were not very good, they made nearly every mistake you can make doing sequels, and they are repeating that now with their new Exorcist trilogy. Which really was a dead franchise and they took the absolute worst approach to attempting to bring it back.
But the difference between the endings of Halloween and The Thing is that Halloween is tailor made for a sequel and The Thing is not. Since the 1982 version is a remake, I can't complain about a sequel (or a remake) being made but I hope they just leave any confirmation of what happened to MacCready and Childs out of it.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
But the difference between the endings of Halloween and The Thing is that Halloween is tailor made for a sequel and The Thing is not. Since the 1982 version is a remake, I can't complain about a sequel (or a remake) being made but I hope they just leave any confirmation of what happened to MacCready and Childs out of it.

Well, I thought the end of Carpenter's original Halloween film was perfect as well. Evil is still out there in the dark. It is a frightening ending. I don't think a sequel should have been made. If they left it at the first film, it is awesome not to know what happened to Michael, the shape.

The end of Carpenter's The Thing is also perfect because it leaves us with that hanging dread of is the thing still alive? It leaves room for a sequel as well because I think we have the feeling someone is going to come looking for what happened to this outpost as there likely will be people coming to see what happened at the Norwegian outpost.

This leaves us with that hanging dread that perhaps mankind is doomed.

In Alien, Ripley lives and so when she returns to Earth she can tell them about the horror they found answering that distress signal that led them to that planet. So, that ending leaves the real possibility that they would just mark that planet as a place to never go back to.

At the end of The Thing, I think we all suspect, someone is going to come looking to see what happened to these two outposts that have now fallen silent.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
As Winston says, you're not missing anything. The first was moderately OK, but I hated the second film so much I don't even want to watch the third (and I already bought the disc before I watched the second).

The third was an epic dumpster fire. So, the idea of watching it should fill you with the kind of dread that MacReady and Childs were feeling at the end of The Thing. Ha!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Well, I thought the end of Carpenter's original Halloween film was perfect as well. Evil is still out there in the dark. It is a frightening ending. I don't think a sequel should have been made. If they left it at the first film, it is awesome not to know what happened to Michael, the shape.
That's fair but that was over by 1981 so doing a sequel (the eleventh entry in the series) to the original in 2018 was not a big deal in my mind. The Thing, on the other hand, hasn't had its ending confirmed or denied in more than forty years so I'd rather see them not do anything with that.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
In my opinion, the first of the new Halloween films were the best of that lot, so I would say you missed nothing not seeing the second and third.

I bought and watched the first of their Halloween films because I'd heard some good things about it. Much to my surprise, I actually liked it more than I thought I would. I'm not a horror film fan in general, but the Carpenter original is one of my favorite horror films of all time. I considered seeing the following two, but the reviews about them were not good. And I didn't want a repeat of the terrific Halloween being followed by the awful Halloween II.

Plus, I felt that the first one finished Laurie Strode's story vis-a-vis Michael Myers well enough that I was happy stopping there.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
That's fair but that was over by 1981 so doing a sequel (the eleventh entry in the series) to the original in 2018 was not a big deal in my mind. The Thing, on the other hand, hasn't had its ending confirmed or denied in more than forty years so I'd rather see them not do anything with that.

Ah, I see what you mean. Yes, I don't think them making more Halloween films was a big deal at that point. Basically, they had been making Halloween sequels for years. So, yes, they may as well make more and nobody really cared about following what happened in any of previous films.

Yes, with The Thing "franchise" we are dealing only with two films right now. Carpenter's and the prequel, which basically is taken right out of Carpenter's film. So, yes, we have a small, sealed universe there for the most part. I think if they do a sequel, they are going to probably look to pick-up the story where Carpenter's film left off.

Now, if they do that, I hope their approach does not become "Let's answer all these questions!" at which point the film will come out and the fans will say "Wow, they just shit all over The Thing!"

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Yes, with The Thing "franchise" we are dealing only with two films right now. Carpenter's and the prequel, which basically is taken right out of Carpenter's film. So, yes, we have a small, sealed universe there for the most part. I think if they do a sequel, they are going to probably look to pick-up the story where Carpenter's film left off.
Honestly, I think everyone knows that a direct sequel to The Thing or even something in the vein of the recent Exorcist sequel is a fool's errand and they will avoid it entirely. If they just wanna redo the idea of guys trapped in the Arctic, I don't care at all because that doesn't tread on the ending of The Thing.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I bought and watched the first of their Halloween films because I'd heard some good things about it. Much to my surprise, I actually liked it more than I thought I would. I'm not a horror film fan in general, but the Carpenter original is one of my favorite horror films of all time. I considered seeing the following two, but the reviews about them were not good. And I didn't want a repeat of the terrific Halloween being followed by the awful Halloween II.

Plus, I felt that the first one finished Laurie Strode's story vis-a-vis Michael Myers well enough that I was happy stopping there.

The first one was alright. I was mostly apprehensive about it because they seemed to be going with a geriatric killer. However, it was entertaining and a decent nod to the franchise. Nowhere near as good as Carpenter's film but really, who would expect it to be. In some ways you could say the three films were set-up like this, the first was the Laurie Strode chapter, the second was the Michael Myers chapter, and the third was the Corey chapter. Now if that third chapter makes you ask "Who the F is Corey?" well, exactly. The final film is taken over by a new character, which makes you suspect they are setting up a new direction for the series.

This was amusing but I think the people that were into these films did not at all think that the final film would mostly be about giving us a brand new character in the series and a good majority of the film is about him. Talk about a curveball!

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
A quick thought about the original Carpenter Thing- horror definitely is not my cup of tea, but I absolutely love the film. Tension galore, minimal dialog that doesn’t much use dumb one-liner attempts at laughter, like in other films in this genre, great cast, great everything. Will have to watch this one again soon. The first big effect with the Husky dog still creeps me out.

Wayne Klein

Second Unit
It's a reasonably well done film, all things (no pun intended) considered. The problem with it, and I suppose why I've not bothered to re-watch it -- despite it having some solid character actors in it -- is that it was completely unnecessary. From the Carpenter film itself, we pretty much know what happened to the Norwegian camp, and seeing it happen, in a way that feels like a remake more than a prequel, doesn't add anything.

I have problems with the idea of a sequel. I'll admit that I rather like the ambiguous ending of Carpenter's film: is either MacReady or Childs a Thing? (I confess that I think Childs is) but feel that a possible sequel going that way would ruin the elegance of that ending. In that respect, I'd go along with your idea that they both be dead (or "inactive" ;)).

But the idea of continuing the story doesn't sit well with me. The point here is, as MacReady pretty much says at the end of the Carpenter film, is that The Thing has to be dead or it's the end of humanity. It's a weakness that I think was present in John W. Campbell's original novella ("Who Goes There?). The way the narrative is set up, just a single drop of the Thing's blood can potentially wipe out all life on Earth. That leaves only two possible endpoints: either the The Thing is "really most sincerely dead" or humanity is well and truly fucked.

The best and only reason I can think of for there being a sequel to The Thing is if they give it the tagline "It's Just One Damned Thing After Another".
I always thought that neither was but they couldn’t take the chance to trust each other. The Thing had gone so far to even rob humanity of one of its basic qualities and forced them to choose death as a result.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
So, I suppose there is no need to spoiler this, if you've not seen The Thing yet, not sure what is stopping you. Obviously, at the end we know what MacReady has been up to, we have no clue where Childs has been. MacReady asks him "Where were you Childs?" and his answer is he thought he saw someone and chased him out into the dark. So, the film does leave us with some suspicion about Childs, because we are left with the same question MacReady asks "Where were you?"

I think the ending leaves us with a perfect 50/50 on Childs. He could be the thing or he might be human. What I want to believe at the end is neither of them were the thing but it is not resolved.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
So, I suppose there is no need to spoiler this, if you've not seen The Thing yet, not sure what is stopping you. Obviously, at the end we know what MacReady has been up to, we have no clue where Childs has been. MacReady asks him "Where were you Childs?" and his answer is he thought he saw someone and chased him out into the dark. So, the film does leave us with some suspicion about Childs, because we are left with the same question MacReady asks "Where were you?"

I think the ending leaves us with a perfect 50/50 on Childs. He could be the thing or he might be human. What I want to believe at the end is neither of them were the thing but it is not resolved.

It's more than that. There's debate about whether it was intentional or not (I believe Carpenter said it wasn't), but if you watch that scene closely, whenever MacReady talks, his breath billows out. When Childs talks, you see virtually no breath. It's most likely a question of where the set fans were placed, but it makes it look like Childs isn't breathing.

Yes, I know...if Childs is talking, he has to be breathing as well. It still makes for an inference that Childs at that point might not be human.

Wayne Klein

Second Unit

Nah, just my opinion but it was misdirection designed only to create the sense of distrust. I honestly don’t think Carpenter or Lancaster ( if he was still with us) would ever reveal their thoughts on it but their goal was just to create that sense of unease and distrust. The Thing didn’t have to be alive any longer to continue to damage people. They didn’t like each other much to begin with but, whatever trust they developed under pressure, was Completely destroyed. It wasn’t just the physical tolol but the psychological impact on everyone in the camp. It both brought them together and robbed them of their sense of trust at the same time. It was the cruel irony of the creature preying on humanity’s strength turning it into a weakness.

mackjay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay
I've loved THE THING since free sneak preview I saw in Boston in 1982 (wonderful, the audience howled in horror).
As for the 2011 Prequel: I like it quite a lot too.
But I've got the Universal Two-fer blu-ray, region B with both films, and it's more than adequate for my needs

And no thanks, on a Sequel.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks