What's new

Pre-Order The Sons of Katie Elder (1965) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Is there any indication that the Amazon version of this will be a BD-R like the recent Funeral in Berlin?

It's a valid question because Amazon I believe has things set-up to burn their own copies of these Paramount titles while every other retailer sells discs shipped to them from Paramount which are standard Blu-ray discs.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
It's a valid question because Amazon I believe has things set-up to burn their own copies of these Paramount titles while every other retailer sells discs shipped to them from Paramount which are standard Blu-ray discs.
That's not a good thing as Amazon does not state that on the order/product page. If it's available elsewhere pressed but a MOD at Amazon then that's a deal breaker for an Amazon purchase. At least it is for me.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That's not a good thing as Amazon does not state that on the order/product page. If it's available elsewhere pressed but a MOD at Amazon then that's a deal breaker for an Amazon purchase. At least it is for me.
Out of curiosity, why is it a deal breaker for you? I haven't heard anything about BD-R being of less quality or longevity than a pressed disc. Is there something I'm not aware of regarding those issues?

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Out of curiosity, why is it a deal breaker for you? I haven't heard anything about BD-R being of less quality or longevity than a pressed disc. Is there something I'm not aware of regarding those issues?
Nope. Just that I'm not going to guinea pig Amazon's BOD process if it's not necessary.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop

Well, Amazon did this with other Paramount discs and so it seems quite likely these releases could very well be BD-R if purchased through Amazon. If this does not bother people then purchase away. Best Buy is also offering these discs at the same $9.99 price and from them they would be normal pressed Blu-rays.

Last edited:

Mike Robertson

Stunt Coordinator
Well, Amazon did this with other Paramount discs and so it seems quite likely these releases could very well be BD-R if purchased through Amazon. If this does not bother people then purchase away. Best Buy is also offering these discs at the same $9.99 price and from them they would be normal pressed Blu-rays.
It bothered me enough to make me switch all my Amazon orders to Best Buy. The fact that they do this without mentioning it on their site irritates me more than a little bit. I'm sure they are making some extra money off this. More than a little otherwise why do it? I researched BD-Rs and I see where they can last up to 50 years or more with proper storage. That's for high quality BD-Rs. Have no clue what Amazon uses. They don't say. So 6 months from now and it doesn't play, what are you going to do? Paramount will tell you they didn't make the disc, not their problem. And since you are past the Amazon return window, I don't see any relief there. I know pressed discs can go bad too. I still have about 500 laser discs (which I cannot make myself toss) which may only be giant coasters at this point. But I also have a lot of 30 to 40 year old CDs that still pay just fine. So I think I'd rather go with a pressed disc at least for now. Just my opinion.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

Can you name one title that this has happened with?

Of the major studios, I am only aware of Sony releasing titles this way circa 2016, and they have since switched to pressed discs. Amazon clearly labeled that they were burned discs and offered indefinite replacements if needed.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Can you name one title that this has happened with?

The two where I became aware of it were Atlantic City and Funeral in Berlin. Also The Molly Maguires was released as a BD-R. I am not sure if that got a standard BD release or not. I ended up with a BD-R of The Molly Maguires and it would not play on any player.

I was not really paying much attention to what was going on and only got caught up in a discussion of it in the Funeral in Berlin thread because I stated I had a pressed disc and then someone told me I was not providing correct info and asked me to prove it.

So, there was certainly much confusion over who was doing what with these Paramount releases.

I believe on the Funeral in Berlin discussion people were saying Amazon had not made it clear on their site that the discs they were selling were BD-R because they had their own deal to burn discs of these Paramount releases as they wanted or needed to.

When I went out and looked around the web I did find a post from someone saying that Amazon would be burning Paramount titles and other retailers would be selling pressed discs from Paramount. That post claimed Amazon had announced this was how they would be selling Paramount discs but I could find that announcement. Apparently other people had the same issue.

I think the big problem is if you look at the Atlantic City or Funeral in Berlin discs on Amazon it does not say anywhere in their listing that these are BD-R. UNLESS you look at the image of the box they come in and notice that the Blu-ray logo is not on them and they just say blu-ray disc on them.

They are listed just as Blu-rays with no notes about them being BD-R.

Last edited:

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
It may not make a difference, but in the pictures on the Amazon website, both "On A Clear Day" & "Funeral in Berlin" do not have the Blu-Ray logo on the packaging, whereas "The Sons of Katie Elder" has it very prominently displayed. Maybe "The Sons of Katie Elder" will be pressed instead of burnt. Well, one can always hope.

1595632020363.png

1595631991477.png

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
The two where I became aware of it were Atlantic City and Funeral in Berlin. Also The Molly Maguires was released as a BD-R. I am not sure if that got a standard BD release or not. I ended up with a BD-R of The Molly Maguires and it would not play on any player.
My disc of The Molly Maguires plays perfectly.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
The proper logo is also on the back of the case:

1595866157594.png

And the price *could* go a bit lower. Digitalbits reports the MSRP is $9.99 on this and several other catalog titles coming from Paramount.

And finally today, here’s a nice surprise: Paramount has just listed a ton of new catalog Blu-ray titles—many either long out of print or coming for the very first time on the format—for release on 9/15 with an SRP of just $9.99 each. They include The Phantom (1996), Timeline (2003), Barefoot in the Park (1967), Uncommon Valor (1983), The Two Jakes (1990), and The Sons of Katie Elder (1965).

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
My disc of The Molly Maguires plays perfectly.

Yes, I may have just had bad luck but my track record with BD-R has been very spotty. I've not had a good experience with several BD-R's I purchased, many documentaries, but some like Under the Silver Lake which I had to get three copies of before I got one to play all the way through which was aggravating and I don't know why they did not just release it as a normal Blu-ray as it is a pretty fine little neo-noir that got good reviews.

On The Molly Maguires I have not repurchased because I wanted to find out if it was only released as a BD-R. I got my copy of that from Deep Discount thinking it would be a standard Blu-ray but it was not.

Did anybody get a regular Blu of The Molly Maguires?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Going to watch this on Friday. Never seen it before. I'll come back with comments.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks