What's new

'THE SCORE' scores!! (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
First off, i've always been a big fan of heist thrillers, they always seem to be the most suspensful and exciting film genre, and they usually always seem do what they set out to do. Maybe it's because they tap into a part of our brains that actually want to see the villians pull it off and get away with it, who knows.
Heat is one of the greatest cops/robbers/heist thrillers ever filmed, followed by The Great Muppet Caper, just kidding!
Anyway, I finally saw The Score last night, and all I can say is, if you love these kinds of films, The Score is one of the best, outstanding film! If Edward Norton hasn't yet cemented himself as one of Hollywoods most talented young actors, he has now, he is brilliant in this film. And what can you say about seeing Robert DeNiro and Marlon Brando together on screen.
At the risk of sounding like i'm channeling the spirit of a bad film critic, The Score scores a perfect 10!
Check it out!

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Agreed. One of the best heist movies made. Brilliantly directed by Frank Oz. In particular there's one scene with Robert DeNiro and Angela Bassett where w/s owners will smirk to themselves and say "pan/scan out of that one, J6P" ;)
And what a cast! Brando, DeNiro, Bassett and Norton. I'm so glad the film matched the talent.
My only problem with the film was at the end when
Norton doesn't check the bag
4/5

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I would say that I liked "The Score" more than Ocean's 11, but that's probably because it's a little better in the characterization department than Ocean's 11.

Both DeNiro and Norton as fine in the film.

I think I originally gave it 3 solid stars or a grade of B (there's a little bit that drags, but nothing agonizingly so). Definitely worth a rental if you enjoy the principal actors involved.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Patrick. After being disappointed with Ocean's Eleven, I don't want another diappointing heist film. I'll check this one out over the holidays with some out of town visitors. :)
~Edwin

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
The characterizations and chemistry were great. But, the movie dragged its feet far too often. At times, it became a downright bore. When I walked out of the theater I was glad to have seen it and equally as glad to know I don't have to watch it again. All principles involved give good, solid performances but the atmosphere and tension Oz tries to build becomes stifling and obtrusive. File this one under "watch it once then forget about it".

Bruce

Rob Speicher

Supporting Actor
In particular there's one scene with Robert DeNiro and Angela Bassett where w/s owners will smirk to themselves and say "pan/scan out of that one, J6P"
I thought the exact same thing the moment I saw that shot in theaters. "Good luck with that one!"

I really enjoyed this one like everyone else. It's definately worth a viewing, even if your faith in heist films have waned.

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
While the acting was great, I thought the plot was really lackluster in this film. It brought absolutely nothing new to the table. I kept waiting to see what the twist was, but nothing came. Oh well, at least the performances were stellar. That always lifts a movie up that much more.

-Tom

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
I recall reading reviews where critics mentioned that The Score breaks no new ground in the heist genre, but also working in the parameters of the genre. That's how I feel. It brings nothing new to the table, but it's executed very well. I was always fascinated, and the heist sequence is nail bitting. A lot of fun, and as a heist film, I prefer it to Mamet's Heist or Ocean's Eleven.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Heck, I'm in heist heaven being able to see Ocean's 11, Heist, and The Score all in one year. I think all three succeed at their own goals. Ocean's 11 for style, The Score for acting and suspense, and Heist for complexity and griftspeak-laden dialogue (which I love).

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
It looks like I was the only one here to feel REALLY let down by this one. Norton and DeNiro do their thing as always, and there are some tense set pieces, but oh god the whole things just so uninspired. This plot line has been done to death, and as much as I love Norton and DeNiro (and I do love them both), I really felt they shouldnt have bothered with this one. The main thing that bothered me was that all too familiar Hollywood gloss studio movies all too often have (though in recent years have significantly avoided through natural lighting and other stylistic methods) - DeNiro's apartment is so perfect - it has way too much style and is lit like a piece of art. Along with that were all his fancy gadgets and Brando's place - it all felt way to fake and orchestrated for me.

Also the ending is terrible - see it from a mile off understates its simplicity - theres no clever twist - Norton's character is just an idiot for not checking the bag like anyone would.

Given the talent involved (youd expect me to say 'this should be so much more' but instead) I'm amazed they all picked this 'Oh-so-average' script. I was just left thinking - 'Is that it?' A big disappointment in my book.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
It's not just you; I came out of the theater mostly appreciating the air conditioning as well. It's not a bad film, per se, but it really has nothing to distinguish it, and the ending is one of the more obnoxious instances of an otherwise intelligent character acting stupid in recent memory.

I mean, absolutely everyone in the theater knew it wasn't in the bag. It was such an obvious set-up, and nothing came of it.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
This is one of the movies that I would rely on Ebert's principle - "A movie is not about what it is about, but how it is about it". The story may be old, and in some cases I think they tried hard to get the cliche's in (one last job, friend in deep with shady element, doublecrosses, etc), but each of the elements is handled with a great deal of style, and the actors handle everything very well.

Mike Knapp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Isnt it great to see some acting in a film once in a while? Two great users of the "method" give us a lesson on becoming a character. Brando was back to his old self, there was just twice as much of him, DeNiro was up to his usual form and Norton (also using the method I believe) kept up with them both.

Young Mr. Norton did an incredible job and getting to work with Brando and DeNiro must have been like a wet dream for the guy. Can you even imagine what it would be like to run lines with those two in the same scene? It boggles my mind.

I will say that at the end when the credits began to roll I said...HUH? Is that the end? I actually liked it. It certainly was no Hollywood formula film.

Very well done and I cant get over the caliber of acting in this film. The scene with Brando and DeNiro in the pool house was what great films are made of. You whippersnappers need to have a look at this film to see what real acting looks like. But be careful...there is only one explosion in the whole film and the surrounds are barely active!

Mike

Richard_D_Ramirez

Second Unit
In particular there's one scene with Robert DeNiro and Angela Bassett where w/s owners will smirk to themselves and say "pan/scan out of that one, J6P"
Oh, believe me, they will find a way. I'm not sure which scene you are referring to (Basset in the kitchen and DeNiro changing?), but in the pan/scan version, the "pan" won't be used. The view will stick on DeNiro talking to no one in particular, and some voice responding out of thin air...

8^B

Richard_D_Ramirez

Second Unit
There are some people that just dont care. As long as we can still get our widescreen versions, who really cares?
The problem is that studios may start "care", and they start to see more people wanting P&S (and J6P is in the majority), thus begin to limit (if not eliminate) widescreen titles.

8^B

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
The scene with Brando and DeNiro in the pool house was what great films are made of. You whippersnappers need to have a look at this film to see what real acting looks like.
Yeah, it was amusing watching Brando do a bad Syndey Greenstreet impression.

You have to admit, though, this movie had, arguably, the three greatest actors of their respective generations, but playing stock characters in an incredibly formulaic story. And, ultimately, isn't that similar to having a great FX set-piece in the middle of a bad script?

Lin Weiwen

Stunt Coordinator
I expected the film to have a better plot to match up with the stellar performances. Even the ending itself(which was a twist but apparently not surprising enough) could have been improved.
But otherwise, the talented trio of actors were great and that makes this film worth a watch.
;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks