What's new

The Royal Tenenbaums (1 Viewer)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
When I saw the film in theaters, I enjoyed it...but I wouldn't say that I really "got it" ... this was the same experience that I had previously had with Rushmore. I had extremely high hopes that I would end up appreciating it as much in the future as I did with Rushmore...and I must say I'm pleasently pleased.
My copy of the DVD came on Monday, and I finally got around to watching it, and I was amazed at how little I appreciated the film when I saw it in the theater.
I just thought I'd post this to see if anyone else has had a similar experience.
...now I must go check out the insane amount of extras on the DVD :)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
My copy hasn't arrived yet, since I ordered it through Columbia House to burn away another membership requirement. That said, I absolutely loved this film in theaters. Anderson is incredible at setting a mood.

Wes C

Supporting Actor
MY copy shipped on Tuesday and I CANNOT wait. Wes Anderson is my favorite director and has been since I first saw Bottle Rocket in 1998. I only saw The Royal Tenenbaums once in theaters but imagine I will watch it about three the week after I get my copy. I loved this movie.

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
I saw it in theaters (there's a little art-house theater near where I live), and while I liked it, I didn't like it QUITE as much as I'd hoped. It seemed like an overachiever movie to me -- like a B+ student that thinks he's an A student. No matter -- I'll still pick it up on DVD.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I didn't like it QUITE as much as I'd hoped.
That is exactly how I felt...but when I watched it yesterday, I just noticed that I was smiling the entire time...and immediately after the film ended, I wanted to re-watch it. :)

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
-First viewing: ***1/2, number #9 on my Top 10 of 2001 list
-Second Viewing: ****, number #6 on my Top 10 of 2001 list
-Third Viewing, which took place last night on disc: even stronger ****, and I want it to go even higher.

This is a film that truly grows on me every bloody time I watch it. It is perfection, a truly original, funny, wacky, brilliant gem of a film that I think will live on for years.

Jason

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Yep, much like Rushmore before it, The Royal Tennenbaums gets substantially more enjoyable the more you see. It's just as different from Rushmore as Rushmore is from Bottle Rocket, which I suspect is why it seems be less than the the expectation from almost all first viewings. Then the subsequent viewings let you see it on your own terms, which is where it really shines.

Watching Anjelica go from total grief to complete anger to cautious sadness in one single scene is just incredible. How Gene Hackman didn't even rate a nomination slot from the academy for this is unfathomable (to me, at least).

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Oh, I know! He gives what I consider to be the best performance of 2001. I thought he was nomination worthy when I first saw it in January...now I think he flat out deserves the Oscar.

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
"Jason: Judging by your sig, who could have guessed?"
Oh it's brought back from when I saw the film all the way back in January, for the DVD release. It will be here for a few weeks. :)

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
Royal - "I just want you to know that these past few days have been the best in my life."
Narrator - "Immediately after making this statement, Royal Tenenbaum realized it was true."

Man, this movie is just so great. How anyone couldn't warm up to it is beyond me. My opinion, of course.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I "liked" the film when I saw it in the theater but I know that it's the kind of film that I would need to see multiple times to really enjoy. I am eagerly awaiting the disc on Monday because I know that despite my only lukewarm response to it in the theater, after I've seen it 2 or 3 times, I'll go "Man, I LOVE this film".

Bruce

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks