What's new

The ROCKY films (2-4) and anamorphic enhancement (MERGED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
It looks to me like MGM just did this new transfer in the process of correcting a previous mistake: missing subs for Russian dialogue. Instead of just adding a new subtitle track, MGM went ahead and struck a new anamorphic transfer with burned-in subs in the appropriate places. I don't think this is evidence of a trend that MGM plans on extending to any other previously-released non-anamorphic discs, sadly.

DJ

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
for all the fox stuff, the packaging on front is identical, save for a small silver sticker saying both screen formats are available on the disc. Flip it over and you can see it now says anamorphic widescreen. All the others I mentioned are the same way.
Good Will Hunting from miramax is also anamorphic now. The difference is on the front it only says collectors series. The old one said that AND widescreen on the front.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
I picked rocky 4 up about a week ago, but neglected to watch it so far . So this is welcome news indeed. :) What about rocky 3, how is the transfer overall?

John KB

Second Unit
Does anyone know of a review that compares the non anamorphic Rocky IV with the newer anamorphic version?
Or does anyone have any opinions of the newer transfer?

Danny_Tam

Agent
Sorry to bump up such an old thread but I recently saw on bestuy.com that both Rocky IV *and* II are now anamorphic. Has anyone seen either of these new transfers? How do they look?

On a related note, Rocky VI may or may not happen, but Stallone recently put together a little boxing promo (set to the Rocky music, of course!) for Monday Night Football. You can see it at his official website www.sylvesterstallone.com

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
You guys had me curious....

Went to the original MGM boxed set I bought
and pulled out ROCKY IV.

It is not anamorphic widescreen.

Looks as if MGM actually did re-do this title.

Wonder whether it is worth going out and
repurchasing this.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Yo Adrian, I'm so confused!

So, is the current box set that's out still a mixed bag?

Can you get all of them anamorphic, if bought individually?

Matt Pasant

Second Unit
I bought the box set when it came out, and per the thread on dvdtalk, I bought the version of IV that they said was 16x9 and sure enought it was.

Now I have no idea if II is, but I can say with 100% certainty there isa version of IV that is 16x9. And with burned in subtitles.

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
QUOTE: "Can you get all of them anamorphic, if bought individually?"

That was my original question. Specifically as it pertains to Rocky II. I've seen all of these individually at Best Buy recently and Rocky II is the only one out of the lot that does not specifically mention 16:9 enhancement, instead opting for the suspicious "Widescreen" moniker. My suspicion is that MGM gave the 16:9 treatment to Rocky IV because of the subtitle problem, using the rationale that since they were going to fix this DVD anyway, they might as well go anamorphic while they were at it. I'm guessing that MGM considers an anamorphic enhancement to a pre-existing "problem-free" release an unnecessary expenditure.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
Just last week, we purchased our very first 16x9 RPTV, and just today I went through my 'Rocky' box set to see which were anamorphic and which were not. I bought my set at Wal-Mart about a year and a half ago. All films are anamorphic EXCEPT for 'Rocky II'.

I'm sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but the question I have doesn't seem to have been answered.......Is the individual release of Rocky II now anamorphic? I wanted to have a 'Rocky' movie marathon this weekend, and if part 2 is indeed anamorphic, I'll gladly replace my existing copy.

Part 4 in my set is most definitely anamorphic and looks pretty damn good from what I've seen as I briefly skimmed through the beginning.

Aaryn Chan

Supporting Actor
Hello,

I thought my copy of IV was non-anamorphic! Ok, so here's what mine are:

Rocky II - Non anamorphic
Rocky IV - Anamorphic

Mark Basile

Stunt Coordinator
Not sure if I posted this earlier, but "Back to School" has been quietly re-released with a 16x9 transfer and 5.1 Dolby Digital.

The picture is a marked improvement, especially in color fidelity and depth, over the original release. Sharpness remains about the same except for anamorphic enhancement. The ringing and edge enhancement is also lessened.

The new mix benefits from clearer dialogue due to the discrete center channel and a widening of the front soundtage.

If you find it, pick this up if you're a fan of the movie.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Mark, we are talking about the Rodney Dangerfield movie, right? Do you have a source for this on the Web? I love this movie and would pick this up in a heartbeat and dump the old piece of crap. :)

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
See, I'm wondering if 'Rocky II' has been silently re-issued with an anamorphic transfer, much like Rocky IV was. It seems odd that they'd make the upgrade with one film in the set, but not the other. Best Buy has the Rocky II listed as being anamorphic........but then, it says the same about 'What About Bob?' which is not.

I just know 'Rocky II' was an intricate part of the film series and deserves an anamorphic release. Normally, I wouldn't make a big deal about this, but as I said, I just recently purchased a 16x9 set, and with the 'Rocky' series being my favorite, it would've been a blast to watch every film in anamorphic widescreen. Oh well, c'est la vie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks