What's new

The ROCKY films (2-4) and anamorphic enhancement (MERGED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
I was in my local CVS drugstore and saw all the new reissues of the Rocky sequels for around $13.00. I checked the specs on the back of each to find that all except Rocky II boasted "Enhanced for 16:9 Televisions." Rocky II mentioned Widescreen and Full Frame. My question is can anyone who upgraded confirm whether or not this reissue has received the anamorphic treatment? I've been holding off on a purchase until all the films' transfers were redone for widescreen sets.

Thanks in advance.

D

greg_t

Screenwriter
Rocky 2 and 4 are still non-anamphoric last I saw. I bought the box set and only 1,3,and 5 were anamaphoric.

greg_t

Screenwriter
http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi...ollection.html

According to dvd file, 4 is non-amamaphoric. This is a review of the boxset, but it is old. It is possible that they made a change and now include an anamaphoric version of 4, but mine is non-anamphoric and I bought the box set about three months ago. Check to see if yours has both the widescreen and fullscreen versions on 4. Or if you could, post a picture of the back of the box.

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit
I bought the boxset when it was first released. My copy of 2 is non-anamorphic but I just checked the Rocky 4 disc to make sure (on my widescreen tv) and it is definitely anamorphic. I took a picture of the back of the box and will post it. Interestingly though, the back of the box says 16:9 Widescreen 2.35:1 when the film was originally shot in 1.85:1

There's a misprint there but the film is 1.85:1 on my television and it is anamorphic. I will post the pictures of the box in just a minute.

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
I remember when the boxset was first announced. Specifically that the collection would be a mixed bag that included both non-anamorphic (Rocky II, III) and anamorphic titles (Rocky, Rocky IV, & V). At the time, this was the only way to get the sequels. That's why I was holding out for individual releases and hoping that these would get the anamorphic treatment. MGM came through last month by releasing all these films individually. Deep Discount DVD, DVD Planet, and other online merchants listed these as featuring new anamorphic transfers. So when I saw these DVDs at the drugstore, I checked for specs and sure enough Rocky III boasted a new anamorphic transfer. Hoping against hope I checked for Rocky II, but alas the package said "Widescreen and full frame" with no mention of 16:9 enhancement as was the case with the other 3 sequels. So what I'm curious to know is has anyone bought the new individually released Rocky II and is it anamorphic?

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit
My Rocky 3 dvd has always been anamorphic. I just want to clarify this. I bought this boxed set on release day and every disc offered anamorphic widescreen EXCEPT for Rocky 2. Whether a newly released Rocky 2 disc is anamorphic, of that I have no idea. But I just wanted to let you know that in my boxed set Part 2 was the only non-anamorphic one.

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
I stand corrected.:b That's very interesting. I recall a HTF chat with MGM previous to this set's release and the studio reps announced only 3 of the 5 would be anamorphic. Guess they changed their minds to a point. OK. So perhaps the online merchants were posting inaccurate info regarding the Rocky II reissue.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I bought the boxset when it was first released. My copy of 2 is non-anamorphic but I just checked the Rocky 4 disc to make sure (on my widescreen tv) and it is definitely anamorphic.
You're the first person I've heard of to report that result. I also bought the boxset when it was first released. My copy of Rocky 4 is nonanamorphic, and the back cover does not say "Enhanced for Widescreen TVs", although it does have the "2.35:1" mistake.

M.

greg_t

Screenwriter
Update to this thread. I just got home from business and checked the back of my Rocky 4. After my initial posts here I forgot that I have yet to watch this one on my Pioneer Elite RPTV. The back of my box says Widescreen 2.35 with no mention of being anamaphoric. However, the dvd is indeed anamaphoric and has the subtitles. Nothing like making it confusing, MGM.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
I was out tonight just wasting time when I saw an MGM display at a cocnuts music. Just glancing at it as I walked away I saw Rocky IV sitting on the shelf. I remember this being the only Rocky Movie still only available in the box set so it caught my eye. I look no the back and what does it say: 16:9 widescreen. The aspect ratio listed is 2.35, but the movie is really 1.85. I snatched this up and headed home and sure enough, the movie is now anamorphic. The picture quality is comparable to Rocky III, maybe a tad sharper, but not much. The other side is full frame, and the only feature is the theatrical trailer.

Any one else looking to replace the old non anamorphic disc might wanna go looking, as this puppy was only 9.99.
Looks like MGM is doing what FOX is doing. Rereleasing old discs and making them anamorphic now(Ever After, Hope Floats, One Fine Day, Never Been Kissed, Walk in the Clouds) with both wide and full screen options.

Randy B A

Supporting Actor
I bought this from circuit city last week to replace my origional. I checked it out and it is anamorphic, and also now has the russian sub-titles during the fight scene.

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
Looks like MGM is doing what FOX is doing. Rereleasing old discs and making them anamorphic now(Ever After, Hope Floats, One Fine Day, Never Been Kissed, Walk in the Clouds)
Is One Fine Day anamorphic now? Is it marked as such on the packaging?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks