What's new

The ROCKY films (2-4) and anamorphic enhancement (MERGED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

Mark Basile

Stunt Coordinator
I found Back To School at CVS, a drug store. I don't know why I looked at it since I already own it and I was in a drug store, but when I read the specs on the back, it read "16x9 widescreen" and "5.1 sound". I bought it, checked it out, and sure enough there was a nice improvement over the original release.

David Brashear

Stunt Coordinator
From what I understand, the original dvd release of Back to School was horribly misframed. Have they fixed the framing problems on this new 16x9 reissue?

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
I've been looking at every Back To School disc I can find to see if I can get the new with no luck. If anyone has access to one please let me know!

Jacob_isham

Stunt Coordinator
Only bothered to get "rocky: special edition", as the first 2 films are the only ones that were any good. Since they haven't put a decent copy of rocky 2 out yet, I at least want anamorphic widescreen, I never bothered to buy it. They should concentrate on getting rocky 2 in anamorphic widescreen and forget the lame latter films, since rocky 2 appears to be the only rocky film that is not available in anamorphic widescreen now.

Sebastien S

Second Unit
I'm thinking about getting the 5 disc collectors/box set as it has recently become quite cheap here in Canada...

However, I'm affraid that if I do, that sometime next year they will release a NEW ROCKY box set with additional footage, new bonus features, better PQ & AQ, maybe even have 2 discs for every movie???

Can anyone help here?

ZackR

Supporting Actor
Good Will Hunting from miramax is also anamorphic now. The difference is on the front it only says collectors series. The old one said that AND widescreen on the front.
Actually, I don't think that is correct. I think only the Canadian release is anamorphic...though I may be wrong. All I know is that I ordered the R1 Canadian from NorthAmericanDVD and it is anamorphic. :emoji_thumbsup:

ZackR

Supporting Actor
Good Will Hunting from miramax is also anamorphic now. The difference is on the front it only says collectors series. The old one said that AND widescreen on the front.
Actually, I don't think that is correct. I think only the Canadian release is anamorphic...though I may be wrong. All I know is that I ordered the R1 Canadian from NorthAmericanDVD and it is anamorphic. :emoji_thumbsup:

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
I saw a copy of Rocky II the other day at a Circuit City that also had the anamorphic version of Rocky IV separately. The Rocky II disc is marked exactly like the new Back To School, meaning it has the the usual graphic MGM uses these days for anamorphic, but doesn't say 16:9. I'm going to pick it up today and take a chance. I will report back...

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
Where's the love for Rocky III? Sure, Rocky IV is junk, and Rocky V was a giant wasted opportunity -- but I've always thought that Rocky III was enormously entertaining. I loved how the roles were reversed, and Clubber Lang had the hunger Rocky once had, while Rocky had become a corporate entity much like Apollo Creed in the 1st film. I loved Apollo becoming Rocky's good friend and teacher.

I also appreciate how the final fight goes down...no cliched 12-round slug fest. Mickey said, "You can't win, Rock. This guy'll kill you to death inside o' three rounds." The final fight is a three round ass-whupping, all right, just not the way Mickey predicted.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Well no luck. I checked the copy I got (UPC 027616673121)on my 16:9 setup and is not anamorphic. At least the Rocky IV disc is. Oh well...thought I had something there for a minute.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks