What's new

The Rock: DTS Laserdisc (1 Viewer)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Hey, no problem. Now that I've bought The Rock, we might as well turn this into a full-fledged DTS LD appreciation thread :)

On that note, I was watching my new copy of Scream 2 DTS today, and was really surprised not only by the sound, but the tremendous picture quality. Looks as good as the old non-anamorphic DVD. Really good tight bass too...not muddy at all.

greg_t

Screenwriter
What studio did Scream 2? I've found the Fox DTS LD's to have great picture quality, such as Independence day and True Lies.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I'm guessing it was Buena Vista...although Image released the unrated cut of the first Scream.

So far, the only DTS LDs I own are Blade (New Line), Jurassic Park (Universal), and Scream 2 (BV?)...with The Rock and Apollo 13 on the way.

Aaron Garman

Second Unit
Hello all. I've heard someone say before that the DTS lasers tend to have better picture quality than their Dolby Stereo/AC-3 counterparts. Is this true in most cases? I know my JP DTS laser does seem to look a little better than the original release, as well as the AC-3 one. The CAV version cannot be beat. It seems as if there was less noise in on the DTS laser. Any thoughts?

AJG

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I believe a lot of it has to do with the fact that most, if not all, DTS lasers were pressed at the Kuraray plant in Japan.

greg_t

Screenwriter
I agree with Matt. Kurray was known for outputting a high quality product. Not all DTS lasers were from the Kurray plant, but the majority were. I think Titanic was one of the ones that wasn't, if I'm not mistaken.

Matt,
The launch sequence in Apollo 13 is still one of my top demo scenes. It is a fantastic sequence, you'll love it.

RobD

Second Unit
The other great thing about them being from the Kuraray plant is that the fabled laser rot doesnt seem to effect them.

ChrisJefferys

Stunt Coordinator
Hi guys,
I just wanted to verify something: in order to properly play DTS LDs, do I just need a LD player with digital audio output and a receiver with a DTS decoder? I thought I would need some kind of external processor as well or is that for AC-3? Any information would be appreciated, as I would like to dive into the world of DTS lasers (rather belatedly I know).

Declan

Second Unit
do I just need a LD player with digital audio output and a receiver with a DTS decoder?
yep thats all you need. For Dolby Digital on LD you need to have an RF output on your LD player, and an amp/reciver with an RF input or a RF Demodulator, which are now hard to come by although they pop up on ebay quite regulary but usually go for big bucks.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Part of it is the Kuraray plant, but that explains mainly the clean video playback -- less video/chroma noise, less analog dropouts and inclusion, less rot, etc.

The sharpness of the video presentation itself is likely due to the extreme care that went into remastering the video and making the pressing master discs. Everything was tweaked to the maximum ability of the best and brightest of the LD world. The DTS program was the pinnacle of the LD production era and was
meant to overwhelm the viewer and convince the collectors to go back and repurchase movies yet again at a relative price premium. By the time the DTS program got underway, many of the LD bugs had been conquered. Unfortunately, DVD came along and became the mass market favorite in a much more rapid fashion than anyone ever imagined -- easier, smaller, cheaper, cleaner video, etc.

I still think the DTS program could have survived as a specialty niche market for several years since most of us were used to paying a premium anyway and the DTS discs were always a small volume, but very loyal market. If DVD had been delayed or even a bit slower, we would have had a remastered Indiana Jones Trilogy in 1997/1998, Aliens Trilogy, and several other hot products that have just come out or still have yet to appear on DVD.

Tony Kwong

Supporting Actor
I also remembered that there was supposed to be Alien/Aliens/Alien3 remastered in DTS LaserDisc. But that along with Contact, Mercury Rising, 2001 : A Space Odyssey, and I bunch of others got cancelled. Japan got the good version of Alien 3 remastered THX, AC-3, LDG on laser....

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
2001 is on DTS LD.Don't know if it's remastered or not but it was released with the DD counterpart @'97[?]

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
2001 does not have an official DTS Digital LD release. Do you know of it or a catalog number that I can research?
I guess it's possible there may have been a pre-production master made that never made it to release, but if there is it would be a very collectible rarity.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I don't know of the catalog number,but I know it exists,I saw it my self on the shelf at Ken Cranes[DVD planet now],back in '97.It was also "reviewed" by Home Theater mag I think at the time.

Tony Kwong

Supporting Actor
David, the old 2001: ASO DTS LD cat# was ML106532. It was indeed cancelled.

The AC-3 version cat# ML106348 Came out on June 25th, 1997.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
I was 99% sure it was cancelled. I remember it being announced as "Coming Attractions" and then the whole DTS program was cancelled rather abruptly leaving me with several order cancellations from Ken Crane.

I wonder if it was possible that they made the Disc cover and put it on display to take Advance Orders? I've never seen it reviewed in Widescreen Review (or any other mag) and Gary is/was such a huge proponent of DTS and particularly DTS LD's, I can't imagine they wouldn't have had a copy even if it was a demo/pre-prod. disc.

ChrisJefferys

Stunt Coordinator
yep thats all you need. For Dolby Digital on LD you need to have an RF output on your LD player, and an amp/reciver with an RF input or a RF Demodulator, which are now hard to come by although they pop up on ebay quite regulary but usually go for big bucks.
Thanks for the info. I was thinking about Dolby Digital then and I always just assumed that DTS needed the same extra equipment. Glad to see thats not the case. :)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Matt,

Get Casper if you can. For me, it may be one of the best, if not THE best dts mixes ever. Sure there are some "WOW" moments but it's really recorded with a terrific and dynamic mix that is very balanced. It's just one of those that sounds great from beginning to end.

Others to get "addicted" on:

Crimson Tide
Tomorrow Never Dies
Goldeneye
Toy Story (alot better than the DD dvd track to me)
True Lies sounds AWESOME.

Pocahontas & Hunchback of ND are also good. (these are warmer sounding than the ones above)

Good Luck!

RobD

Second Unit
Tim,

You seem to be a bit of a DTS LD expert, I was wondering if you could tell me what format the 2 channel DTS disks are in? (Bit Rate etc). Also what advantage do these disks (Which included some copies of the Mask and Spawn) have over PCM tracks?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks