What's new

The Road to the SuperBowl: The NFL Playoffs (1 Viewer)

DanielSmi

Second Unit
How bout them bucs. I live in Clearwater and always have my 23 year old brother for some reason is a big Raiders fan even thought he's never been to a game so it's going to be crazy having my brother cheer against the bucs. Now every offense the bucs have come against 49ers for example the bucs have always shut them down but with Tim Brown, Jerry Rice, and Terry Porter we might have our hands full but if we can keep the pressure against Gannon then we can do it. Also don't forget that Brad Johnson was the best QB in the NFC so he's not to shabby either. I wouldn't worry about Gannon running against the bucs we've shutdown Mike Vick the fastest person in the league twice and we shutdown McNabb today. Isn't the Raiders defense rated 27th or something against the pass, that's not gonna be enough to stop the Bucs they're gonna need to step it up.

my prediction I don't know but this is definitely one of the best super bowls in a long time, it's gonna be a chess match.

Daniel Smih

Jay W

Supporting Actor
R A I D E R S
Got the job done, even if it was a bit sloppy.
I do fear next week, not just because of the Gruden factor but that defense is going to be a hard one to crack. It's been a long time coming, but it should be a really great game next week.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Raiders! Raiders! Raiders!
I don’t even pretend to be objective after all I’m a life long fan. They were clearly the best team in the AFC this year and they deserve to be in the big dance this year.
The Bucs looked very good today. I was a little surprised that the Eagles didn't try to set the tone by running the ball up the middle. It has worked in the past so why did they abandon it today? Regardless the Bucs played great today in winning the NFC championship.
Isn't the Raiders defense rated 27th or something against the pass,...
The Raiders' pass D is ranked 23rd, not much better then 27th but still a little. I think some of the yards are do to the fact that the Raiders often got big leads on teams who then had to throw to catch up. Of course it is their weak point so I suspect the Bucs will come out and attack them right away.
Thankfully the Bucs don't have much of a running attack (Ranked 28th) so hopefully the Raiders can focus on the pass early and limit Johnson's damage. If they don’t it’s going to be a long day but if they can and then some how find a way to score a few points they’ll be competitive in this game.
I suspect that the SuperBowl is going to be a hard fought match. The team that makes the fewest mistakes will win. (God I love clichés. :))

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I’m not going to the game this time around, is the broadcast in HD?

If so I’ll have to run out Monday and buy the antenna for my TV.

Bill_D

Supporting Actor
Excellent matchup this year.

I'll give the edge to the Raiders although my fav between the two is Tampa.

The Raiders will not win the Superbowl if their leading rusher is Gannon with 41 yds. They must establish a real running game against the Bucs.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Well, my Titans needed the Raiders to make mistakes and play a very solid, almost perfect, game themselves. The Raiders obliged, but the Titans decided to make more mistakes. Can't do that against the Raider's O.
As for the Super Bowl...I know there is a lot of love for the Raiders, but Best Offense vs. Best Defense? I'll take the best Defense EVERY time. If the Bucs can stand up to the #1 passing D and one of the best front lines in football (the forlorn Eagles), the Raiders D shouldn't be too frightening. The Bucs D have faced plenty of mobile QB's, but none as savvy or as smart as Gannon. That said, he'll have HALF the time in the pocket he had today (possibly, if the Raiders can muster a strong up the gut run...), and a better secondary to fight with. TB also has the best tacklers in football today. Those short runs won't go for long yards. And finally, teams don't gain discipline in one week. Raiders = penalties (and lots of them). Free yardage for Brad and crew, plus 1st and Long vs. a monstrous pass rush.
It's going to be a great game, but on paper, the Bucs look to make things very painful. Oh, and they are coached by a bloke who knows the Raiders abilities. And he hates Al Davis.
Take care,
Chuck
And LASTLY, even the Raiders fans must acknowledge who the league MVP should have been :D Gannon's the bomb, but where would the Titans be without the toughest player in football? Long gone...

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I have no idea who I'll be rooting for, but this is a really good matchup on paper. I'll go out on a limb and take the Bucs in a 4 point squeaker over the Raiders.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The Eagles certainly layed an egg against the Bucs yesterday. Tampa beat Philly on both sides of the ball, and completely shutdown the Eagoles offense after that early touchdown. The Bucs definitely earned their trip to San Diego, overcoming an 0-6 road playoff record and a history of losing in cold weather.
The Titans put up a great fight, considering that they were overmatched on paper. McNair is one tough dude. Without those disasterous turnovers at the end of the first half, they would have had a good chance to upset Oakland.
The Super Bowl should be a great matchup -- Oakland's offense vs. Tampa's defense. I'm sure we'll all be sick of hearing about Gruden vs. his old team by Sunday. :) I'll pick Oakland by 4 points, but I'm pulling for the Bucs (I'm a longtime Steeler fan, and just can't bring myself to root for the Raiders).
In terms of HDTV quality though, CBS did an outstanding job on the AFC Championship.
Yes, the picture quality of the HDTV broadcast was terrific. Too bad the technology couldn't do something about Phil Simms, though. How does that guy get to be CBS's #1 analyst?

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Ah, can the Eagle fan take any more suffering?

McNabb and Andy Reid lost the game. Bad game plan and poor execution. You have to hand it to the Bucs coming right back after the opening kickoff return and TD. From the highest of highs to the lowest of lows.

My super Bowl prediction: The Raiders. they will be able to execute what the Eagles could not. McNabb does not have the experience that Gannon has and Gannon should be able to disect that buc defense.

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
No. 1 offense vs. No. 1 defense...enough already.
Don't forget that the Oakland defense has done a remarkable job of turning itself around this year. Brad Johnson is no Steve McNair...nuff said.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Brad Johnson is no Steve McNair...nuff said.
While he's no McNair, Johnson is a very underrated QB. He's efficient, makes few mistakes, and takes what the defense gives him. However, Tampa lacks the other offensive weapons necessary to run Gruden's offense the way it was run in Oakland (it helps to have Rice, Brown, Garner and Porter to go along with Gannon). The Bucs lack a running game, and their only deep threat is Jurevicius -- Keyshawn and McCardell are possession receivers. Also, the offensive line is not that good.

In order to win, Tampa's defense will need to make some big plays. However, Oakland does not turn the ball over very much -- Gannon makes very few mistakes. That is why I expect the Raiders to win. I will be pulling for Tampa, though.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
As a Raiders' fan this hurts to say but on paper there is no way that this team beats the Bucs.

Historically when a team with the number one defense makes it to the SB they win. On top of that the Bucs offense is playing very well lately.

As I've already posted, the Raiders in order to remain competitive must stop Johnson earlier and somehow score some points.

Honestly I'm shocked that the Raiders are the favorites in this game. Tampa had more wins and has a better D; I think they should be at least a 3-point favorite.

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
Problem is...Bucs have nothing on offense. There's no one on that offense that scares any defense.

Again, like everyone else this year, you're underrating the Raiders. At least Vegas is paying attention. The Raiders are rightfully the favorite.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Hay I love the Raiders and always well. I want them to win but I wouldn't be surprise if they don't. I also wouldn't consider it a huge upset if lost.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I don't really have a preference, but will probably root for Tampa based on the fact that they've never been to a Super Bowl and the Raiders have multiple SB victories. Spread the wealth! :D
Oh, and Al Davis just gives me the creeps!

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
I figure the Gruden factor this way:
Gruden knows the Raiders and the Raiders know Gruden. Both defenses know what they're going to see from the other team's offense because they see it in practice every day. Gruden hasn't had the opportunity to build the offense he wants in Tampa yet because he inherited almost all the personnel when he arrived. According to the numbers, Callahan is running Gruden's offense better than Gruden did last year.
And lastly, if it comes down to a crucial series of plays in the final seconds, Gruden will mis-manage the clock as he is prone to do.
I don't make predictions any more, but you can probably follow my logic to see which way I'm leaning.
Anecdote update (from page six): our friend (the NFL Head Linesman) got the call last Friday and he will be working the big game. $20K and a Super Bowl ring for a few hours work -- sweet!! He and his wife have postponed their nuptial renewal until June. :)
Rob

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Problem is...Bucs have nothing on offense. There's no one on that offense that scares any defense.
Hey, the Raiders D is good. But the Eagles were the #2 D. And Brad and Co. scored TWENTY POINTS on them. If C. Woodson can get away with all those holds next week, they'll be fine. But I doubt he'll have a lot of luck in the SB with all the heat on the refs. Their secondary can be worked, just not on one play. And Brad can work it, given time. (That's the biggest match-up...Bucs O-Line vs. Raiders D)

The Raiders O is awesome. Gannon is brilliant. But he has NEVER, in his long illustrious career, had to face a team with NEAR the speed of Tampa. It opened every QB's eyes who's played against it.

I am surprised at Vegas. But the O is sexy, the D is not. The D just wins championships.

It'll be a great game.

Take care,
Chuck

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks