What's new

The Ring ... (1 Viewer)

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
The new trailer for this is up at quicktime.com and the premise looks really great.

The original trailer was a little confusing but this one clears things up more.

After some digging I also found out that it is a remake of a 1998 Japanese movie of the same name that got rave reviews everywhere around the world but never made it to the US !?!?!

Has anyone seen the original or know if there is a US version on tape anywhere? IMDB only lists the DVD for sale in the UK and Germany.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I have a freind in Detroit who was able to find a copy of Ringu, so it can be had but it is definitely not widespread. Best bet is to go to a specialty store that deals in imports.
Bruce

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Everyone seems to say the original was good but had pacing problems, which (if early reviews are right) have been fixed for the American one. A review at Ain't It Cool News called it one of the best horror/suspense/thriller-type movies out there.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Dreamworks owns the rights to the original. WHo knows how long they plan on sitting on it, just like what most US companies do with Asian films

They either sit on, dub, butcher or otherwise keep people here from seeing it. Hopefully the movie will be a hit and they'll release the original at the same time as the home video release.

You can get an NTSC version from Korea, but the majority of copies that are in the US are boots of horrific quality

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I rented the original Japanese version (see discussion of that movie elsewhere in this forum), and while it's a good movie it definitely has some problems, most notably the pacing and some of the plot elements (a little too much reliance on supernatural stuff, IMO). I think this remake could be better. I was surprised to see that it has a PG-13 rating, but if they follow the japanese original fairly closely it shouldn't have more than a PG-13 rating anyway since there is hardly any nudity, violence or gore in it.

JonS

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff,

The version you can get from Korea is a Korean remake of the original japanese movie. It isn't really that good.

For those who don't know, there is an entire trilogy of Ring movies. I loved the first. It did somewhat suffer from over-explanation in the end but I hear the american remake does this even worse. I loved the pacing of it, it was a nice slow building story that puts so much fear into you by the end of it.

The second suffers from the Exorcist 2 syndrome of using technology to explain the supernatural, but it was still pretty good.

The third, Ring 0: Birthday, is actually a prequel. It is one of the best prequels ever. It puts more depth into the Sadako character without destroying the mystery that the first film built.

All in all this is one of the best trilogy's I have ever seen.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I knew the Koreans made their own sequals, I didn't know they remade the first as well. My bad

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks