What's new

Warner Bros. Making More Lord of the Rings Movies (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Announced today in a deal with the current IP holder…

This is in addition to the already-announced animated feature.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I didn't enjoy the bloated LOTR and Hobbit films and a more concise retelling would suit me. Perhaps a trilogy, The Hobbit and LOTR pt 1 & 2.
I agree that the Hobbit films are bloated, but based on the fans of the books comments, making the LOTR films shorter, and leaving out even more characters would harm the series.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I love Peter Jackson's LOTR trilogy. The three films captured the spirit of the novels perfectly, IMO. I had not watched the theatrical versions in many years, having preferred the extended cuts. However, a few weeks ago I decided to view the theatrical cuts again, as they came with the 4K UHD set. They still held up well, even with the missing content from the extended versions.

I am not as fond of his Hobbit trilogy, as I think it's too long, but I picked up streaming 4K versions of the extended cuts during a sale and viewed those for the first time - - previously I had only seen the theatrical versions. The extended cuts were better than I expected. Still bloated, but the extended and added scenes somehow made it a little better for me. Odd.

I really have no need to see another remake of LOTR, but I wouldn't mind seeing a more concise version of The Hobbit, if done well.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I didn't enjoy the bloated LOTR and Hobbit films and a more concise retelling would suit me. Perhaps a trilogy, The Hobbit and LOTR pt 1 & 2.
Never say never but I think the last thing these will be is more concise. They'll be like pretty much everything today- a corporately manufactured franchise with multiple movies, spin-off movies, spin-off streaming series, prequels, spin-off movies and streaming series of prequel characters, etc. to pump as much money as humanly possible out of the products they own.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Ugh! No thank you. Jackson nailed LOTR and it does NOT need to be "remade." If this is the kind of thing that the new management at WB thinks is a good idea, I think they need a good old-fashioned shareholder's revolt to reset things IMO.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Ugh! No thank you. Jackson nailed LOTR and it does NOT need to be "remade." If this is the kind of thing that the new management at WB thinks is a good idea, I think they need a good old-fashioned shareholder's revolt to reset things IMO.
They aren’t going to remake The Lord of the Rings. At least not according to this article.

And Warner Bros. film bosses Michael De Luca and Pamela Abdy signaled that they are not interested in a retread of what Jackson has already done, saying in their own statement: “Twenty years ago, New Line took an unprecedented leap of faith to realize the incredible stories, characters and world of The Lord of the Rings on the big screen. The result was a landmark series of films that have been embraced by generations of fans. But for all the scope and detail lovingly packed into the two trilogies, the vast, complex and dazzling universe dreamed up by J.R.R. Tolkien remains largely unexplored on film. The opportunity to invite fans deeper into the cinematic world of Middle-earth is an honor, and we are excited to partner with Middle-earth Enterprises and Embracer on this adventure.”

They seem to be saying that they want to do more stories in that era though. I’m not wild about it. Seems it would be mostly “original” stuff from the third age that may involve characters from LOTR. I’d be much more interested in an adaptation of The Silmarillian and the First Age stories.

I know reaction to the first season of The Rings of Power has been somewhat mixed, but I really enjoyed it.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I don't get the impression they're going to remake LOTR or The Hobbit, but that these will be other stories that may feature some of the same characters from those films.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I’ve been saying since the Hobbit films came out that Warner would find a way to make more ME films. In today’s entertainment world, you simply cannot leave a valuable piece of IP dormant. It’s like having a machine that prints money but leaving it to collect dust in your garage.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Part of the problem with Jackson's Hobbit trilogy is he made them after LOTR... so he felt like he needed to connect the 2 by providing all this exposition and additional stuff that wasn't even in The Hobbit novel. And that contributed to the "bloat". I can understand if he had filmed The Hobbit first. But since it came 2nd, the extra stuff doesn't matter much since we know what happened in LOTR already.

I'm hoping for anything WB makes in Tolkien's world, that it be set more in the future, so there's a blank slate. Yes, it won't be based on a Tolkien work, but maybe that's a good thing!

It's one reason why I'm more interested in the Jon Snow spinoff for HBO's Game of Thrones world rather than the "prequels".

And, thinking about it, I don't believe any of the D+ shows set in the Star Wars universe have gone forward in time (ie. past the time of the sequel trilogy) either. There's a whole universe out there! Take advantage of it!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I don't think we need remakes of LOTR. They already did that as well as could be done. I also wasn't a fan of the bloated Hobbit movies.

However, I'm also not going to condemn a film before they've even written a word of the screenplay. If they can find a creative way to revisit that world with talented writer(s) and director(s), I'll certainly consider seeing the resulting film.

I just hope they get a strong script and creative reason to make these above and beyond expected profits. If they don't, it could flame out rather quickly (see: Fantastic Beasts.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks