What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Pre-Order The Razor's Edge (1984) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
78298_front.jpg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
I was 14 or 15 when this was released and wasn't particularly a fan of lengthy dramas. I was a Bill Murray fan though, and I didn't think he was trying to become a dramatic actor, (though he is also very good in St. Vincent), so I was curious about what compelled him to take on this role. So I gave it a shot and really enjoyed it.

There are many reasons why I love movies, starting at an early age. But this film, Broadway Danny Rose and Ran the following year really opened my eyes to what cinema could be and inspired me to search out and discover older film treasures, which I have been doing for the last 38 years.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I picked this up and I am going to revisit it. I have not seen it since the 1980s. It has a bit of an interesting spot in film history because Murray really wanted to make this picture but the studios were not high on it. I think they discussed moving the story into modern times rather than doing it as a period piece but Murray and the director wanted to keep the story set in the period the author wrote it. Plus the studio backers did not like the idea of Murray playing a dramatic part. So, it was not going to get made until Dan Aykroyd came to the rescue by offering to have Murray take a part in a little film he wrote called Ghostbusters if the studio included as part of the deal that Murray could make The Razor's Edge first.

So Bill got to shoot Razor's Edge and then went off to make Ghostbusters as soon as they wrapped.

I think this was one of those films they showed a lot on early pay TV because I seem to recall watching it a bunch of times on television.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I remember renting this film in the 80s and being disappointed only because I was a huge Bill Murray fan and was expecting something funny but got a drama instead.

Same kind of reaction watching MANHATTAN. I was a huge Woody Allen fan, watched that film, and wondered, "How come this isn't funny?"

I was at the end of my teenage years, and I had no interest in dramas. Of course, years later I came to appreciate MANHATTAN for the masterpiece it was. I am not certain I'll have a renewed respect for RAZOR'S EDGE as it received mixed reactions from critics at the time.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I remember renting this film in the 80s and being disappointed only because I was a huge Bill Murray fan and was expecting something funny but got a drama instead.

Same kind of reaction watching MANHATTAN. I was a huge Woody Allen fan, watched that film, and wondered, "How come this isn't funny?"

I was at the end of my teenage years, and I had no interest in dramas. Of course, years later I came to appreciate MANHATTAN for the masterpiece it was. I am not certain I'll have a renewed respect for RAZOR'S EDGE as it received mixed reactions from critics at the time.

Yes, I recall at the time in the 1980s I thought of guys like Bill Murray and Tom Hanks as comic actors, so it was a bit jarring to see them switch to doing drama. Now Hanks is considered one of the best dramatic screen actors working today and Murray has built a varied career. This is part of why I want to revisit this, to see how I feel about it now all these years later and with Murray now being known as an actor that can do different things and not just straight comedy. Bill has maintained over the years that doing this film was important for him and it had an impact on his acting going forward. He apparently really values this film for that and does not regret it. The only thing I believe he says he regrets about it is that they did not take the studio advice and move the story into more modern times. He later felt they were right about that because he thinks part of the reason the film flopped was that people at that time did not want to see period dramas. He says that at the time he could not see that because he and the director were so in love with the original story.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
The movie gets a bum rap. No, not as good as the 1946 version but enough good things to recommend it (like Theresa Russell's performance).

I read something about the film now having been reassessed and that it is thought of now, by some folks, as a much better film than it was at the time. I kind of feel it was sort of a forgotten film, I missed that it was released on Blu at the end of last year. When I searched for a thread on it here, this was all that came up and not much comment on it.

I remember liking a lot of scenes in the film. I do recall that Russell was quite good in it, playing a heartbreaking character. At the time, I think I thought it was one of, if not her best, performances.

All these years later the picture is a bit fuzzy in my memory. So, I am going to take another look at it.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
it received mixed reactions from critics at the time.

Yeah, Murray was not just a comic actor before this but he did pretty goofy comedy. So, I do remember when he made this it was pretty hard to imagine him playing a serious role. I think the critics of the time really struggled with this as well and kind of took it out on the film. I recall it being a really well made picture, beautifully shot, with some really good performances.

Knowing Murray is capable of different things all these years later I am wondering how I will feel about this film now. Will I now just accept him in a dramatic part because I have seen him do so many other things?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryH12
Recent bookmarks