What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

The Quiet American (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I missed this film when it was playing in theaters earlier this year, but thanks to DVD, I got to see it this weekend. I didn't find a thread dedicated to the film (rather, reviews were buried in the Film List threads).

For all the Oscar buzz and hype, I think the film delivered, and Michael Caine was pretty darn good in it, as was Brendan Fraser. I saw the fim not knowing much about it, but came away learning much more, and poking around the DVD gave me more insight into the history of Vietnam and the US's relationship with it for the last half of the 20th century.

One of the pluses is that the film isn't overly long, it stays true to the story, and doesn't go off on wild tangents. This helps in sustaining viewer interest as the story unfolds and concludes. Check it out if you get a chance.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
The first HTF review of this film was in the 2002 Alternative, Foreign, Independent and Arthouse Films , which is now in the Software Archive. Here. That was from the film's one-week Oscar-qualifying release in 2002.

Subsequent reviews are in the 2003 Foreign, Alternative and Independent Films, when the film was re-released to theaters. There's an index at the beginning of the thread.

The film was one of two casualties of Miramax's concerns about how audiences would respond to certain themes in the wake of 9/11. (The other is Buffalo Soldiers, which finally saw a limited theatrical release last week and probably won't expand beyond New York and L.A., which is a shame.) Michael Caine made a personal appeal to Harvey Weinstein to get The Quiet American in theaters and was rewarded with a well-deserved Oscar nomination.

M.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Saw this theatrically and it was one terrific! Though Michael Caine got most of the attention, I thought Brendan Fraser gave such a fine performance as well. I wish he'd do more of these "serious" roles (like "Gods and Monsters") than the silly comedic stuff all the time. I'm looking forward to seeing it again on DVD.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
QA was part of Seth and Matt's Bogus Journey (our trip to see AOTC digital in Chicago was our "Excellent" Adventure). We had to brave a horrifying snowstorm to catch it and Talk to Her in the same day and flirted with becoming trapped along an Indiana highway that looked like a scene from Fargo...but it was worth it.

I can't think of any better praise than that. I was surprised that Caine was the only aspect of the film that had been getting buzz. It's a beautiful film to look at, contains some nice moments of tension, and really grays the morality of its characters.

The DVD purchase was a no-brainer for me even in the tight wallet days. :)

BTW, I think Matt and I both liked Talk to Her even more which just goes to show what a great film it is too.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I thought the movie was ok, nothing special. Michael Caine can do this sort of thing in his sleep (and has ;) ), and the movie is much more of a so-so romantic love triangle than the political hot potato it was rumored to be/postponed for being.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Another "ok" vote from me. The Quiet American maintained my interest for its duration but I don't thing it's quite good enough to warrant a purchase. I found the political aspects far more interesting than the love triangle; those early years for us in Vietnam seem little explored on film.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
the political hot potato it was rumored to be/postponed for being
I think the decision to hold back Buffalo Soldiers, now that I've seen it, turned out to be more dubious than the decision to hold back The Quiet American.

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kandids222
Recent bookmarks