What's new

Press Release Shout! Studios Press Release: Affliction (1997) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
423480314_1145604333463273_8739743468037746118_n.jpg

Winner of the 1997 Academy Award for Best Actor in a Supporting Role (James Coburn), and Oscar-nominated for Best Actor in a Leading Role (Nick Nolte), AFFLICTION co-stars Oscar winner Sissy Spacek and Willem Dafoe and is coming to Blu-ray on April 16.
When events shatter the quiet of his small town, Wade Whitehouse (Nolte), with the aid of his new girlfriend (Spacek), is forced to confront his past and reexamine his life. Determined to fill the emptiness, he must either stand tall against his childhood demons or fall victim to his father's abusive ways. A wrenching but rewarding film depiction that you'll never forget, Affliction is "already an American classic" (The Village Voice).

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

https://www.amazon.com/Affliction-B...693529011&rnid=2693522011&s=movies-tv&sr=1-33

Last edited:

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Wow, this is one that has been on my Blu want list for a while. Awesome! This is a great, if a bit depressing film. The performances are incredible though, across the board. As I recall, not sure the DVD of this looked that great so this, I am thinking, should be a major upgrade.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I saw this movie after Nick Nolte got the Oscar nomination, and I remember there being one scene where he's supposed to be driving a car, but he's doing that pantomime-driving thing you sometimes see actors do, where they are driving on a straight stretch of road but are moving the steering wheel around like crazy, as though they've never actually driven a car before in their lives. It made it hard for me to take the rest of his performance seriously.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I saw this movie after Nick Nolte got the Oscar nomination, and I remember there being one scene where he's supposed to be driving a car, but he's doing that pantomime-driving thing you sometimes see actors do, where they are driving on a straight stretch of road but are moving the steering wheel around like crazy, as though they've never actually driven a car before in their lives. It made it hard for me to take the rest of his performance seriously.

It's been a long time since I have seen it (years) but I don't recall that. I have the DVD of this but probably won't watch it again until the Blu arrives. Ha, I will look for that scene.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
As the scene played, I distinctly remember thinking, "They gave him a nomination for THIS?!" :laugh:

Well, I do recall he gave a hell of a fierce performance in this. Nolte is one of those guys that tends to go all in and back in that timeframe, I believe he was. I think when he did the film The Good Thief, he actually developed a heroin addiction to play the part. That's taking things a bit far.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Well, I do recall he gave a hell of a fierce performance in this. Nolte is one of those guys that tends to go all in and back in that timeframe, I believe he was. I think when he did the film The Good Thief, he actually developed a heroin addiction to play the part. That's taking things a bit far.
Wow. Gaining/losing weight is hard enough for an actor to do, but to actually go this far?
Definitely risky. About Nolte, I have generally liked what I have seen him in- The Prince Of Tides is one of my favorite films.
I have seen Affliction years ago- I don’t remember it, except for it is not a pleasure ride.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks