What's new

The Problem with Defective Box Sets (2 Viewers)

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
It'd be interesting to hear the results of running a bad disk through a PC disk verification utility. If it returns errors, it might be a painless way to check those discs that you won't get to watch for a while (at least for some times of errors).

-Dave

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
I've had pretty good luck, although after reading Mitch's post I'm paranoid about the alien set.
And you should be, because it's happened to me SOOO many times. If it's true that Amazon.com lets you ship out only the bad discs, that would be truly AMAZING being as how I've already ordered it from Amazon!

I've had so many problems with boxed sets in the past (and present) that it would take 100 pages to type. With huge boxed sets (or any, for that matter) I have kept even the "floaters" (some call them "rattlers") if they work, just because almost every single boxed set that I have bought has a few discs loose inside. No matter how many times I would exchange a boxed set, there was always 2-4 discs loose inside. I would probably go through 100 boxes before I found one that didn't have scratched up floaters. Not to mention that just because they are not floating, doesn't mean that they can't have problems. Many of the discs that have these type of problems are completely free of any scratches and or marks of any sort, on the disc.

Oh, and the guy who has the website "DVDAngle" has said he's not through with discs 7 & 8, but he has already counted 75 hours worth of Alien material (of course this time includes the actual movies themselves). SO if you could imagine for a second that you've gotten through all 75 hours of the first 6 discs and all of a sudden disc 7 or 8 were defective and couldn't return just 1 disc, you'd have to watch all of the discs again, which is what I have had to do for all of my boxed sets because my Best Buy & Circuit City FORCE you to get the entire boxed set again. :frowning:

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Yup, like some said, I only replace the defective disc. Amazon ships out the new set before you return the old set, so it's not a real problem with them. Most smaller online stores won't do that.

GrantM

Stunt Coordinator
I've been really fortunate so far. I've only had to go through this for one set - Babylon 5 Season 1. I went through several sets before getting a good one. Toward the end, I exchanged just the problem disc. That's what I'll do from here on. After all, it's all the same to the retailer.
I just hope that my luck continues, I've got over 15 box sets that I haven't gotten to yet.

Terry H

Second Unit
My worst nightmare is going to be the Alien Quadrilogy (9-Disc set). Let's say we go through each and every single DVD and watch every theatrical cut, every extended cut, every extra, and then get to disc 8 or 9 and find out that they are defective. Can you imagain how horrible it'll be replacing the set, and having to watch over 60 hours of material ALL OVER AGAIN just to make sure that the set is not defective?
That would truly be a nightmare. I had a defective disk in the Rumpole box set I discovered months after purchase. Bottom line - If this happens you're just screwed. Nobody will help you. The studios refer you to the store and the store points to their 30 day return policy. Why should the consumer end up holding the bag? Yet it happens all the time. This is why I never buy a box set unless I can invest the time to watch the entire thing before the 30 day return policy expires. Frankly, that is seldom. I have tried to point this out in the past but it attracted little attention. Sadly, it seems to be one of those things nobody gives a damn about until it happens to them. I'm glad to see this thread (and this irritating problem)is finally getting some play.

The Void

Agent
Real Name
Jason
I'm having problems with Friends Season 5 right now. I ordered it from amazon and disc 4 was loose with a big scratch on it. I got them to send me a replacement and I got it yesterday. Disc 4 of the replacement was also loose with a big scratch. I called them back and now all they will let me do is return both sets for a refund. I would have mixed and matched if others were damaged but the same disc in both sets was scratched.

So I went to Walmart last night and bought another copy. Opened it up and bam, scratched disc 4 on the hub. I've never had this problem before. I think I just give up.

3 sets with a scratched disc 4. Is my luck really that bad? Anyone else have a problem with this set? I have the 4 previous seasons and didn't have any problems.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Again, guys-- always check your discs as soon as you get them and fast-forward through all of the movies and supplments. If you get freezing or pixilation, it will turn up then (and not take you 20-50 hours to discover this!)

GrantM

Stunt Coordinator
How fast do you fast forward? Can you see the pixilation using the fastest speed? I've seen some discs that pixilated when playing at regular speed, but didn't see the problem when fast forwarding through them.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
I may have missed some minor, one-time-only pixilation, but I've been able to pick up all of my disk-stopping problems while fast-forwarding

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor
Has anyone ever tried returning these to the store without a receipt? If you do, then there is no "30 day limit" on the returns. There have got to be some stores that will let you do an exchange if you claim it was a gift. I did that with a Buffy set at Suncoast one time with no problem.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
My Babylon 5 season 2 had a scratch on disc 5. It was well over a month before I got that far. Luckily, I was able to exchange it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks