What's new

The Price of High Definition versus SD DVD! (1 Viewer)

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
The price on many Blu-rays is to high. But i never buy a FOX title on release day, at full price, or in a B&M store! NEVER! You can find deals easy! Why worry about the price, buy what you want, when you see it at a price you like! I have most of my Blu-ray collection for $25 or less. Many Warner titles i got for less than $15. Let me see you take the wife to the movies for that. Its a given the kids will stay home.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

No one pays full retail, and many dont buy in store. Amazon is the Blu-ray store for me!

I remember the high price of DVDs back in the day. True Lies cost me $30 when i got it. But it was a steal, as the LD had cost me $70. Once again, damn FOX pricing never changes. But if you could wait, 10 years later you can buy True Lies for $3!

I confess, that true Lies is a title i WOULD buy from FOX for $30 if it was on Blu-ray...but thats me, and a holy grail movie of mine.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Player costs aren't that high anymore, nor are the equipment upgrades, and you can find discs cheaper on-line. There's not really any difference between the cost of DVDs at 2 years out and Blu-rays 2 years out, but if you don't hold yourself to B&M stores with MSRP, you'll find it's not that much more expensive.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

Oh, you mean i didnt just think it?

We'll just call it a confession. :P

Speaking of the price of HD, that $35 Band of Brothers was pretty sweet, huh Mike!

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Not around here. :P Outside of buying dvds for presents, I don't think I have ever "planned" on getting any dvd. I see one and if I am in the mood, I get it. In general I hate shopping so I spend as little time as possible doing it. unless it is a big $$ purchase, I don't have the time to search all over the place to save $5 or $10. My solution if I think items cost more than I am willing to spend, is not to buy anything. Sure there may be sales all over the place, but the closest walmart is 20 miles away and the closest Best Buy is 45 miles away. That I why the price of bluray still has to come down.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
You sound like the perfect candidate for Amazon. They're almost always at the low end of prices, there's no need to shop (just enter the title in search field and go), and you don't have to pay tax or shipping unless you need it now.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Sweet on two counts, Rick. Price and content.

I am only through the first two episodes...but it is just awesome. And to stay on topic, it would not be on my shelf if not for the great price.

I am still amazed about how often there have been such great deals on this title...considering how long the premium pricing on the SD set stayed in place. In many stores, you could still easily pay $69 to $99 bucks on an SD set of BoB.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

This is how I felt when I picked up the "Firefly" BD set for $29.99 Canadian at my local Future Shop. They were originally selling "Firefly" for 79.99, so I couldn't believe it when I saw it priced at 29.99. My first reaction was that someone screwed up and lowered the price on the wrong set. My second reaction was one of "I'm grabbing it before someone realizes they screwed up".

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
It's not as bad as you might think. Example: to be fully BD 2.0 compliant and decode all the advanced audio codecs, pick up a Panasonic BD35 (decodes DTS HD MA and Dolby True HD and can be had for under $300) and a Sony STR-DG720 (accepts LPCM 7.1 over HDMI and also can be had for under $300). Add a couple of surround speakers and you're well below $1000. This is what I'm planning to do when my tax return arrives.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Aye. Just put whatever you want in your shopping cart and check it whenever you have time. It'll tell you all the price changes going on -- a (temp) price drop usually means Amazon price-matched some competitor, which happens quite often. Would be even better if they actually sent out daily email alerts w/ all the changes in my shopping cart (instead of the other mostly useless email alerts :P), but I'm fine w/ just checking once a day. :D Actually, would be even better if they alerted us of price drops for marketplace items, especially if they would let us set that to "like new" or "new" only, but they're obviously not gonna do that for us. ;) :P

RE: sales tax, they do charge it for NY-ers now though, but otherwise...

_Man_

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
That isn't bad but it doesn't include an new projector. Mine is only 720. We just spent close to $3k for a 60 TV and new entertainment center for Christmas to replace our 27" tv. It just isnt in the budget to upgrade the theater equipment when what we have works fine. The HDTV has sparked my interest in bluray. Someday I am sure to upgrade, but not this year. Maybe if I procrastinate long enough, the next big thing will be here.

It sounds like I will have to check into Amazon.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David

But you don't have to replace your favorites to enjoy BD. Just watch and enjoy them too.

Just like you can now enjoy watching SD television shows on your HDTV instead of watching the HD version.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Granted, SDTV looks like shite on an HD display, but HD content is jaw dropping, even @ 720p. I bought an HD-A30 just prior to the big announcement of the end of the format war, before I got a 720p display. Even on my 16:9 SD display, the difference in quality was evident. Once I got my 720p display, it was like someone had polished my eyeballs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks